inside leg measurement

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
thinking of ordering my wife a bike from Germany. the dealer has asked for her height and inside leg measurement for frame size...... height no problem, but where do you measure down to? hem/bottom of jeans or what....

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
thinking of ordering my wife a bike from Germany. the dealer has asked for her height and inside leg measurement for frame size...... height no problem, but where do you measure down to? hem/bottom of jeans or what....
Hi Eddie ... I would have thought down to ground level ....

C

Cyclezee

I would agree with Davanti unless your good lady is wearing platform soles or killer heels;)

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Might be best to ask her Eddie...

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
It's an interesting point Eddie as frame sizes seem to differ in reality between makers or, at least, the method by which frame size is described seems inconsistent.

It may or may not be of any help but if you look on the website of Justebikes, the very firm discussed in another thread, they offer a choice in determining correct frame size. There is alway some leeway as saddle posts are moveable but the consideration of whether feet on ground or full leg extension is desired is worth thinking about. If you play around with numbers, you'll get an idea of which size in whichever of their models you look at would be suitable.

Give it a try on whichever of their models most closely resembles the bike you have in mind.

Indalo

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
so the consensus seems to be to the ground?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
When I ordered bikes for my children I had to do an inside leg measurement. The method suggested was here:

How can I order an islabike
"*To measure your child’s inside leg get them to stand back to a wall in socks, slide a book between their legs, slide the book up the wall until it contacts their crotch firmly, mark the wall at that point and measure from the mark to the floor."

Top man! much obliged!

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
so the consensus seems to be to the ground?
Edd, seeing as you're a travelling man, and used to driving in Mainland Europe, why dont the pair of you drive over to Germany... make a long weekend of it.

The cost of your diesel would be partly off-set by the £60 saved by collecting the machine, at the same time eliminating any possibility of damage in transit.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Edd, seeing as you're a travelling man, and used to driving in Mainland Europe, why dont the pair of you drive over to Germany... make a long weekend of it.

The cost of your diesel would be partly off-set by the £60 saved by collecting the machine, at the same time eliminating any possibility of damage in transit.
Hi Bob! We are away travelling again soon, so a possibility I guess as we are going through southern Germany on our way to Italy/Croatia. this bike is a bit of a bargain, in fact it may well have gone already...would rather have it now and play with it!lol

when I got the KTM last year it was double boxed and weighed a ton..DHL are good I think..ebay couriers another story.

its a risky purchase though or should I say choice ...All will be revealed:p

Biker44

Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2012
thinking of ordering my wife a bike from Germany ... where do you measure down to? hem/bottom of jeans or what....
Ask your wife - she'll have been born knowing the correct method, just as you were born knowing how to mend punctures ;)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Ask your wife - she'll have been born knowing the correct method, just as you were born knowing how to mend punctures ;)

women dont use an inside leg measurement normally....

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
women dont use an inside leg measurement normally....
I had a female tailor measure me for a suit in Cyprus in 1967 ... after she had finished measuring me for the trousers, she said she would then measure me for the jacket. Never mind the jacket I said ... I'll have 2 more pairs of trousers! :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Oh! How I miss Tommy Copper....

Apr 19, 2011
Indalo thanks for pointing out our size finder.

It does work quite well but its not perfect - the tricky thing is developing a tool that works for a Dutch cruiser, say Sparta, and the German Haibike MTB... For instance a 54cm Sparta is perfect for me, but in a Haibike I need a 48cm frame.

There's no substitute for a test ride but the next best thing is to ask customers how high their current (likely manual) bike seat is from the ground and use that as a starting point.

Rgds,

James