Installing Bafang BSS02 on bike with internal cable routing - exiting under bottom bracket?

HMG13

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2019
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if you can help.
I've just bought a Whyte Ridgeway that I am very happy with, that I'll be using to install my Bafang BBS02.
I came accross someone on here who had successfully done a conversion with an earlier model of the Ridgeway which gave me some extra peace of mind when researching.
The 2019 version I have is very similar, except there is internal cable routing. The cables exit the frame underneath the bottom bracket.

I'm really hoping this isn't going to be too much of an issue but I'm struggling to find much info anywhere.

Has anyone done a midrive bafang conversion with the same routing? From what I can gather it might mean I need to make sure the bafang Doesn't rest against the frame? I have a stabilizer bar ready which might help secure it more.
Or maybe the cables can just be taken out the frame and run along the outside instead to solve the problem?
Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not installing the bafang myself, but as my local bike mechanic isn't too keen to be doing make-shift bits and bobs (fair enough) to make it fit. I wanted to find out if there could be a simple fix. So he doesn't send me away to find another bike!
I really love this one and have waited bloody ages to get hold of it.

Cheers in advance

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
Please can you post a picture of the bb tried to find a clear pic online but no luck
I suspect you might have a problem unless you can reroute the cables externally

Reactions: HMG13

HMG13

Jun 25, 2019
Please can you post a picture of the bb tried to find a clear pic online but no luck
I suspect you might have a problem unless you can reroute the cables externally
This was the best photo I could get for now. As you can see the cables are directly inline with the cranks. There is more space under the downtube as the cables are running along the chain-stays in the other direction.

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
The plastic bracket is going to foul the motor :( ,so surface cables are the quick easy route [ should just need new outers ] and remove the plastic bracket :D
Should be ok with the standard bafang bracket

HMG13

Jun 25, 2019
The plastic bracket is going to foul the motor :( ,so surface cables are the quick easy route [ should just need new outers ] and remove the plastic bracket :D
Should be ok with the standard bafang bracket
OK great, thanks for your help. So if I remove the plastic bracket, can the cables be pulled out and just tied to the outer frame? I wouldn't need to buy/replace anything would I?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
You might need cable outers only cost a few pounds available off ebay in various colours, it will depend on if it is one piece or several sections of outer they have used cannot tell from pics