Help! insurance for bike classified as moped

rhino

Just Joined
Apr 4, 2022
i inherited a cannondale lefty with a 48v battery, it’s a conversion.i was riding it to work fairly regularly until i read that somebody with a similar set up got stopped and prosecuted, i’ve been advised i need to register tax insurance, would any of ye guys know any insurance companies that would cover me?

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Having a 48v battery doesn't mean it has to be registered.
If the assist speed limit is 15.5mph (or below) and the motor is continuously rated at 250w then it is likely a legal pedelec.
To register you need to get an SVA test and certificate. An extremely long winded process. Depending on the class you go for you may have to have indicators, a brake light, a rear number plate, get it taxed insured and wear a motorcycle helmet when riding.
Give some more information and you may be saved a lot of hassle.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What is the motor rated at ?
Is it limited to 25km/h ?
48v is legal.

rhino

Just Joined
Apr 4, 2022
thanks for your response, i just brought it out for a quick spin 25 mph going up a slight hill without pedalling and 32 mph coming back again without pedalling? i’m guessing i will need to go down registration route , any advice appreciated thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Yes it is an uninsured moped, on three counts.
1. it is throttle powered and being used as so.
2. One is achieving well over the legal pedelec speed and twice the allowance.
3. The 48v BBS02 will be 500 or 750w rated and marked as so.

You will find the first hurdle will be presenting it to a MSVA testing station and passing the set criteria, the second hurdle will be third party fire and theft insurance and finding someone who can insure it as they certainly will have little or no clue.

You will fine most riders will simply ride them and hope not to be nabbed, if you do get nabbed one might get a way with just the bike being confiscated otherwise you may get prosecuted. As far as the forum goes there have been no cases we are aware of, except one high profile case in Dalston where the guy was prosecuted for death by dangerous riding and was found not guilty.
He wasn't prosecuted for riding an uninsured moped.