Insurance (under Household contents insurance)

David T

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 30, 2014
Gloucestershire
Has anyone recently added their Ebike to their HH insurance OR better still it can be covered up to £x under the extension of
Personal effects away from home.
Under this section the policy document sometimes specifically includes an ebike OR exclude ebike, which saves the hassle of ringing them up
once you have got a decent quotation for combined building & contents (which is generally cheaper than 2 separate policies) especially
if one uses a comparison website.

Appreciate old posts on this subject have already been discussed , but the insurance companies seem to change their t&c from year to year.
Also, personally I always shop around rather than automatically renew and use cashback sites eg quidco.

David T

May 30, 2014
Gloucestershire
As a follow on for this one must or should come clean to the value (new for old same model). My 5 year old ebike was automatically covered up to £1000 , but the value to buy new is around £2000.-cover away from home .Therefore the insurance company would not have paid out (as per advised over the telephone) . They take the view you could be displaying a Rolls Royce ebike without charging the correct premium.

mountaindweller

May 15, 2019
Just sorted out my new R&M supercharger Rohloff gx through AA insurance which gives me bike insurance for the retail price i paid at home and outside and up to 7.500 if abroad with house + insurance premium as an introductory offer went via go compare, all under 200 quid

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
Insured my KahlKoff 3B (540w) costing £2500 for an additional £2.30p for the remainder of the annual period (5 months).
That means around £6/year premium!!! Only requirement - Gold standard lock and must attach to a permanent fixture.
This was from Halifax.

HH66

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2018
Added my ebike to our Legal and General house insurance for about £30 per year. Covered at home and when locked with a gold standard lock away from home.

Sausages

Dec 3, 2018
Yes through aviva which covers all our bikes and ebike in and away from the home

D

Deleted member 25121

Remember that if a bike was dongled to increase the maximum assisted speed it would make any insurance invalid.

mountaindweller

May 15, 2019
A bit of a mind field when its comes to expensive bikes, given i thought that i was insured with the AA until they came back with something about speed and cost of bike , in words they declined the thought of a Reise & Muller super charger GX 2019 as to much of a risk , so went and had a look at M&S buildings and contents and had no issues, they even specify that they cover e-bikes and insured mine up to the retail price i paid for it plus cover away from home , and world wide , Far cheaper than those stand alone bike insurance policies out there !

David T

May 30, 2014
Gloucestershire
Thanks all for feedback. Looked at all suggestions. In the end went for Swinton, B&C , £3k P.effects away from home up to £2k ebike
+hh legal Aprox £106 (increased excess for buildings) includes cashback.

The Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2017
South Yorks
I moved my house insurance to Bradford & Bingley as they covered my ebike as a specified item.