Insurance

MikeButterworth

Just Joined
Jan 27, 2018
Wiltshire
Hi, just about, in the spring, to buy my first ebike, what’s the view on insurance? I’ll be spending the thick end of £2000, and I’m not sure wether to add it onto my house insurance, or take out a separate policy. Any views, or recommendations for insurance companies that have been easy to deal with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rutland Cycling

Trade Member
Sep 5, 2017
Rutland
Hi, just about, in the spring, to buy my first ebike, what’s the view on insurance? I’ll be spending the thick end of £2000, and I’m not sure wether to add it onto my house insurance, or take out a separate policy. Any views, or recommendations for insurance companies that have been easy to deal with?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hey Mike,

You're more than likely going to get the best deal tagging it onto your house insurance. That usually costs £3-£4 extra a month at most.

Alternatively you're looking at £90-£100 a year at most cycle insurers, with my preferred being Bikmo.

Anthony.

acm2000

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2015
Ipswich
mine is on house insurance, costs nothing extra

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
We just added my Wife's ebike to our house insurance renewal - and the policy cost went down :confused: Then we had to phone back as they'd spelled Wisper wrong, and they gave us a £15 cash back for the inconvenience.

Gaz

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Mine is on household insurance - something like £30 a year but as it started part-way through, it wasn't a full year.

I keep wondering how much difference it makes to the cover - do specific bike policies actually add much real-world value?

Kendalian

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2016
Cumbria
I am with esure for household insurance which covers bikes up to about £600. My ebike cost £2,200 and insurance on this as a 'specified item' is £37.99p - a LOT less than the quote from Bikmo for a specific bike policy.

Cheers

Kendalian

asc99c

Pedelecer
May 1, 2015
Same here, about £35 extra for a £2500 e bike on my home insurance policy.

Sent from my Swift 2 X using Tapatalk

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
Used Co-op for house insurance for years as they were very bike friendly - not checked recently but bikes under £1k free, over that was a few quid afiar

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
I can tell you m&s are free under a grand

The utterly extortionate after that.

And, for comedy value, my auto correct insists on amending uttlery to burglary

Which seems ironic

• :D
Reactions: oyster