Insurance

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
I've been looking at insurance for my Kalkhoff Tasman replacement value around £1800. A quote on the ETA site gives me £131 new for old, get you home taxi and european cover.

Sounds OK to me - does anyone have any special knowledge?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Its a lot cheaper as an add on extension of household policy. Tescos in our case and covered in Europe but not sure re new for old......

gareth

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 3, 2010
Warwickshire
Hi Lemmy,

My Wisper 905se city is insured by ETA, about £110 for the year, haven`t had to claim for anything yet, not even the taxi home breakdown option. from what i understand from the policy document (vert little) you have to carry photo ID to claim the breakdown cover, ok if you have a modern driving licence but not sure if my 2 year out of date passport will count. (doesnt say valid photo ID in the policy:) )
The excess on claims is 5% (about £70 for me) which is ok if the whole bike goes missing but if it gets damaged or vandalised it might be cheaper just to buy new parts myself and not bother claiming, I think cycleguard Bicycle and cycle insurance from Cycleguard don`t charge excess but were a little bit more expensive when i was searching around for my policy.
The new for old thing covers bikes up to 2 years old i think and is a great for peace of mind when i have to leave my bike locked up in town

hope this helps

Gareth

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
I've been looking at insurance for my Kalkhoff Tasman replacement value around £1800. A quote on the ETA site gives me £131 new for old, get you home taxi and european cover.

Sounds OK to me - does anyone have any special knowledge?
There is that old adage, dont invest in anything you cant afford to lose and if you absolutely have to insure something then do so for the bare minimum.

Personally, I think it's robbery, 7% of the new value of the bike.

I had a quick look a what it covers, 40% off for folders and its gets you and the bike home..........what a take on!!! if your folder breaksdown, you fold it up and jump on the bus/train............simples!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
mine £20 each I think (add on to household policy with Tesco) UK and Europe cover

If your home insurance is unsympathetic.....change company's:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Free up to £1500 with the AA Home Insurance. They were quite indignant when I queried about my Wisper being electric and would it cost extra. Insured for UK use only.

Colin

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Free up to £1500 with the AA Home Insurance. They were quite indignant when I queried about my Wisper being electric and would it cost extra. Insured for UK use only.

Colin
Some wont look at electric so you do need to ask and shop around.....

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks gentlemen - I shall explore all possibilities suggested inclding no insurance.

I have a top rated Abus lock and the wheel lock on the Tasman - which I though was a waste of space but in fact is perfect when nipping in to a corner shop to buy a paper.

Given how unattractive the bike is to the 'cool' brigade, maybe I don't need to worry. A thief would have top get a charger anyway which would be a problem for them

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
Some wont look at electric so you do need to ask and shop around.....
That is why I queried it after they gave me a quote for Home Contents including the Wisper - I didn't believe it when they said it wouldn't cost any extra. My previous insurer wouldn't touch electric bikes and they wanted £120 pa without the Wisper (insured with ETA for another £120 approx).
AA wanted £65 including the Wisper - I had to think long and hard before accepting their quote, at least 3 milliseconds.

Colin

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
Thanks gentlemen - I shall explore all possibilities suggested inclding no insurance.

I have a top rated Abus lock and the wheel lock on the Tasman - which I though was a waste of space but in fact is perfect when nipping in to a corner shop to buy a paper.

Given how unattractive the bike is to the 'cool' brigade, maybe I don't need to worry. A thief would have top get a charger anyway which would be a problem for them
If you are getting it on the house insurance for tens of pounds then thats reasonable, but hundred plus is very steep by anyones standards. Tell them you want to insure the bike, not take out finance on it!!

For the money you save, invest in a bike lock/alarm.

But a lock or insurance certificate is only as secure as the last place you left the bike.

Be sensible, where you leave it and above all just enjoy it, worry about any eventualities IF they ever come around

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Cycleguard is Chaper via Evans Cycles website

Whilst I appreciate that many may consider me mad to have spent £170 insuring my bike and public liability for a year, for the few who may consider such a move it may be worth going via Evans Cycles website.

The insurance they are offering appears identicle in every way (including web page design) to the offering from cycleguard except that it is marginally cheaper (£170 instead of £177)

My household insurers, Royal London, wanted £140 to add my ebike, (valued at £1946 including fitted accessories) as a specific item to the policy, and would offer public liability for a further £50. Total for insuring to the same cover levels via household insurance was therefore going to be £190.

Whatever your view on cover against damage & theft, personally I feel its important to have the liability cover.

All the best

Bob_about