Interested in motorhome e-bike charging solutions, ie 12v to 42v

Flyingppg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 7, 2018
Kent
Greetings,

We have a motorhome and recently I bought a Yosepower 36v 13ah 350w kit for my partner and fitted it to one of our hybrid bikes. We cycle a lot when abroad. She doesn't like the hills, I don't like waiting and neither of us like having a domestic! Neither of us are getting any younger and I foresee a time soon when I will also add the same kit to my bike. It's been a good purchase. However these large capacity bike batteries take some charging when you only have 12-13.5vdc to start with in 1200wh of leisure batteries.

So what to do? Of course you can simply use an inverter but this is weight and a loss of efficiency plus when you want to go out, 2a with the supplied charger means waiting about if you forgot to put the battery on charge.

I've ended up building/buying high output 12v to 42v cccv dc-dc chargers from standard cheaply available modules and components on eBay, some plywood, and teak Ronseal wood stain inspired by the eclectic mix of videos on YouTube. Next is an upgrade to the solar charging system to a 250w panel and mppt solar charger for the batteries on the motorhome. I'm amazed that 250w panels can be bought for around £100 if you shop about. I also found a ready made mppt solar boost converter charger for £28 but that seemed like cheating.

Only problem is I seem to be enjoying my partners bike kit and solving the charging problem more than she is or indeed riding the bikes.

I would be interested to hear what others are doing to address this particular challenge of in vehicle charging?

Kind regards Richard

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Portable generator. Mine is really quiet. 9kg and 800w, so good for charging two at the same time.

T42

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 9, 2017
Rh17
Hi,
Like you Richard I’ve got a boost converter recently delivered and am proposing using it to charge from 12v to 42v.
In the past I have used my old 300w inverter but saw how it really pulls power from the leisure batteries and therefore looking for a more economical solution and not always wanting to have electric hook up.
The problem that I have come against is Its easy to connect my Hailong pack to the boost cc /cv converter (as simply + & - ) However my wife’s Bosch has 3 terminals on her plug and my daughters Yamaha has 4.
Have yet to find any information on the chargers but no doubt time will give me the answers. Bosch do not seem to be very helpful from what I’ve read so far.
I’ll keep you posted

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Hi,
Like you Richard I’ve got a boost converter recently delivered and am proposing using it to charge from 12v to 42v.
In the past I have used my old 300w inverter but saw how it really pulls power from the leisure batteries and therefore looking for a more economical solution and not always wanting to have electric hook up.
The problem that I have come against is Its easy to connect my Hailong pack to the boost cc /cv converter (as simply + & - ) However my wife’s Bosch has 3 terminals on her plug and my daughters Yamaha has 4.
Have yet to find any information on the chargers but no doubt time will give me the answers. Bosch do not seem to be very helpful from what I’ve read so far.
I’ll keep you posted
Bosch used to make 12v chargers, I don't think they make them now though :confused:
https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/blog/post/bosch-ebike-12v-travel-battery-car-charger/

lyme

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2018
Staffordshire
Wife always wants an electric hook up when were away in our motor home so no problem charging our batteries. I have the same Yose Power kit as yours.