Interesting Read About Ebikes on Bike Biz Website

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
One of the recurring conversation points in the previous articles is batteries. The cost of batteries is not going to fall much lower than currently unless there is some uniformity of style/fitment of batteries,this is particularly the case with Bosch,as far as I know there is no pattern versions of the Bosch battery,no competition.
Kudos is equally at fault,six battery types across our range-this is caused by different ebike suppliers having there own favoured supplier-if you attend the Shanghai Cycle show there are over 50 battery suppliers all having their own unique fitment.
Today I made a mental note that any new ebike styles must use,whenever possible,a current selected battery-one battery will fit the water bottle shape,one battery to fit the rack mount....this will increase the volume on a particular battery style and also introduce healthy competition.
Note the Halfords guy wasn't complaing about a £400 battery cost,only that he couldn't make his margin when selling it!
Dave
Kudoscycles

Storcker

Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2012
One of the recurring conversation points in the previous articles is batteries. The cost of batteries is not going to fall much lower than currently unless there is some uniformity of style/fitment of batteries,this is particularly the case with Bosch,as far as I know there is no pattern versions of the Bosch battery,no competition.
Dave
Kudoscycles
And that's before you consider the differing battery charging theories, a long slow charge or a quick charge, and the incompatible chargers/ plugs themselves.
Apple could not even resist the temptation to change the sockets on their latest iPad etc from what they had a year ago let alone standardise across the whole industry.