Introduce Yourself

Brockley

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 14, 2021
Hi all, New here surprise surprise. I’ve been reading up trying to find the best solution for an ageing hippy motorhomer with a need for a folding ebike capable of short ‘food & drink foraging’.

I like the look of the latest MiRider with the larger battery, quieter motor and a claimed waterproof rating of IPX5, especially as I can buy one locally and have a two year warranty.

However, I’m seeing a company in Europe offering what looks essentially like the very same bike (Onebot SE6 with U.K. spec and a spare battery to follow on later from China) and a waterproof value of IPX4 - all for less than half the price of MiRider, I immediately have to think - wtf is going on?

My understanding (limited though it may be) is that the difference between IPX4 & IPX5 waterproofing is not that vast. Again my limited understanding is that one resists rainfall and the other resists water under pressure? Ageing hippies still don’t like water and I’d be more than happy with IPX4 rating in the knowledge that the ‘donkey ain’t going to quit’ as soon as a passing shower occurs!?

Is the U.K. MiRider spec without a spare battery worth paying more than double the price for given my needs?

Thanks for taking the time to read this guys.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Welcome Brockley

The MiRider is fundamentally the same as the Onebot. MiRider take Onebot parts, assemble in the UK, and up-rate a few things. IIRC, the main chnages are that the wheels are spoked instead of cast (lighter), the controller is a better one than standard, the brakes and motor are uprated a little, the battery is slightly bigger. If that makes it worth doubling the price is a personal choice.

The merits of both the Onebot S6 and MiRider variants have been discussed in previous posts if you search here on the forum.

The different IP ratings aren't a concern. As common sense rules, never use a pressure washer to clean an e-bike, don't wade through deep water where the motor or electrics are submerged, and don't leave the bike outside in pouring rain. Riding in heavy rain some will put a plastic bag over critical parts (battery, display) to afford greater protection, but in most cases most e-bikes can take a good shower without trouble.

Brockley

Nov 14, 2021
Thanks cyclebuddy, so given the application I require and from what you are saying, the MiRider isn’t great value given that for less than half the price I can get almost twice the distance with the spare battery included?

Is the two year local guarantee really worth £700 + ?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
It really depends on how practical you are at fixing a bike/e-bike yourself. There are plenty of fairly decent reliable low-cost Chinese folding e-bikes being sold from around £500 upwards within both the UK and Europe that would probably serve you equally well. However, not all of these makers/vendors offer service, advice, or (crucially) back-up parts to fix them if/when the bike goes wrong.

If you're useless at fixing electrics or basic bike mechanics, paying for local dealer support and warranty might be worth it. You have to weigh that up.

Brockley

Nov 14, 2021
Yes I guess it’s like everything mechanical and electrical, but despite reading as much as I can about the specifications of both bikes I’m really not seeing where all that MiRider profit goes - overheads I get, but there seems to be a great deal of profiteering going on and for that reason alone I’m tending towards the Onebot with a spare battery for less than half the price!

As for practical skills, I managed to build three microlight aircraft - one off plans so that side things should be ok. The electrical side of things - well that would be a weakness, but I’m sure there’s enough bright sparks on here to ask help from?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
In your shoes I'd likely opt for the original Onebot S6 too then. As a precaution, I'd just do some internet searching to see if you can find what spare parts are available for the S6, just in case.

I have an £800 Chinese Fiido folding e-bike. Fiido make ALL the spare parts available direct, and there are a handful of independent UK service agents around too (although I suspect I'll never need them). It's just peace of mind in the longer term.

Let us know how you get on with your S6!

Brockley

Nov 14, 2021
In your shoes I'd likely opt for the original Onebot S6 too then. As a precaution, I'd just do some internet searching to see if you can find what spare parts are available for the S6, just in case.

I have an £800 Chinese Fiido folding e-bike. Fiido make ALL the spare parts available direct, and there are a handful of independent UK service agents around too (although I suspect I'll never need them). It's just peace of mind in the longer term.

Let us know how you get on with your S6!
Ha, strangely enough I’ve just been looking at spares and so far I mentioned the battery, it’s a lower amp battery @ 5.6, bur ideal for a spare costing €208 and a controller costs €50.

Brockley

Nov 14, 2021
By the way, the Onebot s6 comes with a 6.4 ah battery and with a discount code will cost £473.22. Add £219.88 (spare battery and controller) = £693.10, that’s still less than half the price of the MiRider with 5ah extra battery??

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Don't forget, since Brexit, VAT and Import Tax may be charged on anything brought in from overseas - EU and China. I've had and heard some slip through the net, but others get caught.

Fiido overcame that by setting up a UK warehouse after Brexit, and thereafter importing direct into the UK to keep the prices comparable to the EU. Anything onward shipped from even the EU will now attract UK VAT and Import duty.

It depends who you're buying from as to how they handle the Import.

Brockley

Nov 14, 2021
Ah yes, indeed, I did ask about that and fortunately the company I’m ordering through have a warehouse in the U.K. The spare battery and spare controller do have to come from China but I’m not going to lose any sleep over that in terms of added tax.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
It looks like you've covered all the bases then. That's a very good price for the bike too. I hope you enjoy it!