Introducing the Woosh Brompton cskit

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
it took a lot longer than I have wished but as it is just my pet project, there was never much urgency to see it completed.
It's now done, well at least the first phase is done and I am very pleased to post some pictures here, hoping members will point me in the right direction regarding where the next development should go.
I have lent my Faro to a member of staff and I am using the Brompton to ride around town at the moment. The Cute Q70 is so quiet!

- Cute Q70 motorwheel 328 RPM
- Fit the Brompton fork exactly like the normal wheel
- uncluttered, simple wiring, no excess wires to hide
- Dual Hall, 12 magnet pedal sensor
- small but bright LCD
- smallest Lishui controller 14A
- various battery options

In this base version, the battery is in small frog format, 13AH made with Samsung 18650-29E cells.
The battery comes with light, on/off switch, lock and 2 keys.
You don't need the keys to ride the bike, only to remove the battery.

The capacity is much more than you would see in other kits but I chose it for 2 reasons:
- range: easily 40 miles
- power: climbing hills at full legal speed
This battery can also be mounted to the seat post if you so wish.

Installation:
1. remove the bottom bracket, add the pedal sensor, refit
2. fit the battery holder
3. install the LCD
4. drop the motor in
5. Connect up the controller directly to the LCD, battery, motor and pedal sensor. There is no cable loom.

Tools:
standard square taper bottom bracket removal tool.

Price:
Before 1/8/2020: £529, from 1/8/2020 when the next shipment arrives, £559.

Availability:
As soon as we clear the current backlog of kit orders (Andy does this alone).

Pictures:

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Personally I’d rather see the battery and controller hidden inside a small bag on the front luggage mount. I guess anyone could fit it like that if they wanted, although that battery is perhaps slightly too large for the smallest bags.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
point taken.
In October, I will introduce a small battery.

Reactions: flecc

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
it took a lot longer than I have wished but as it is just my pet project, there was never much urgency to see it completed.
It's now done, well at least the first phase is done and I am very pleased to post some pictures here, hoping members will point me in the right direction regarding where the next development should go.
I have lent my Faro to a member of staff and I am using the Brompton to ride around town at the moment. The Cute Q70 is so quiet!

- Cute Q70 motorwheel 328 RPM
- Fit the Brompton fork exactly like the normal wheel
- uncluttered, simple wiring, no excess wires to hide
- Dual Hall, 12 magnet pedal sensor
- small but bright LCD
- smallest Lishui controller 14A
- various battery options

In this base version, the battery is in small frog format, 13AH made with Samsung 18650-29E cells.
The battery comes with light, on/off switch, lock and 2 keys.
You don't need the keys to ride the bike, only to remove the battery.

The capacity is much more than you would see in other kits but I chose it for 2 reasons:
- range: easily 40 miles
- power: climbing hills at full legal speed
This battery can also be mounted to the seat post if you so wish.

Installation:
1. remove the bottom bracket, add the pedal sensor, refit
2. fit the battery holder
3. install the LCD
4. drop the motor in
5. Connect up the controller directly to the LCD, battery, motor and pedal sensor. There is no cable loom.

Tools:
standard square taper bottom bracket removal tool.

Price:
Before 1/8/2020: £529, from 1/8/2020 when the next shipment arrives, £559.

Availability:
As soon as we clear the current backlog of kit orders (Andy does this alone).

Pictures:

Really impressive, and it folds particularly well I see. Very "clean" design.....
Well done.
regards
Andy

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thank you Andy.

I tried to reduce as many 'points of failure' as possible.
Everything is bolted down, all the components are tried and tested, all the connectors are standard and waterproof...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I would say the controller looks abit ungainly stuck up high there.
Depending if it affects the fold maybe lower down to the front above the battery or on the frame tube behind the fold joint.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the controller is a special model, tiny (about a quarter of the size of the case) and very light (less than 200g). It does not need the bag because it's waterproof but it may scratch the paint, that's why it's in a soft case.
I am looking for a smaller case.
It does not affect the fold - you don't even feel it's there when riding.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The pedal sensor has to be on the chainring side so that you don't accidentally kick it and the cable is not exposed.
the kit comes with the tried and tested steel mount, it's bullet proof.
You have to remove the bottom bracket and refit.

Steel mount:

If you don't want to do that, you can ask for a PAS carrier, a plastic mount that clips onto the bottom bracket. This part costs £3.
It saves a bit of faffing but plastic is never going to be as strong as steel.

The last option is a new bottom bracket with 122mm axle and a left side pedal sensor. I supply it but I don't recommend it because it moves the chainring 2.5mm to the right.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

On my Brompton, it's an ordinary bottom bracket, so I use ordinary tool for square taper bottom brackets.

how old is your Brompton?
Post a picture of your bottom bracket to be sure.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Reactions: Julie

Chris.mitu

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2015
Kent
Is there a version of the Woosh Brompton kit where the battery bag/box mounts permanently on the back of the handlebars and has a battery that can be removed.

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
the controller is a special model, tiny (about a quarter of the size of the case) and very light (less than 200g). It does not need the bag because it's waterproof but it may scratch the paint, that's why it's in a soft case.
I am looking for a smaller case.
It does not affect the fold - you don't even feel it's there when riding.
I found a little gel pouch bag, can't find the purchase info though. it's just the right size, fits on the handlebar tube.

Reactions: Woosh

jimriley

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2020
Any chance you have a photo with it fitted please?
Yes but not for a little while, it's on my narrowboat, going moving it next week. I didn't buy it through Amazon or eBay or I could've found it.

Re the bottom bracket, I have a '99 Brompton, as far as I can be certain, with the 6-speed Sturmey hub. I had to get a new bottom bracket - then of course a new chainring and cranks cos the tapers are different. I found a decent set on ebay 2nd hand. No bad thing, the new one has a bolt on ring, I also renewed the chain, rear sprocket and brake pads. When I fit the new decals it will look like new - as long as you don't look at the old mudguards! It certainly rides like new, zooming along canal towpath is great fun, with the little wheels.

@Woosh the only thing I would change is to have an alternative clear lens on the battery light, it's redundant otherwise, unless I'm going backwards to see the trickpsyclist. Can you 3d print some?

Last edited: