IP68 waterproof battery connector options

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
This isn't an urgent question, because I've ordered what looks like an identical battery mount to the one on my bike, for the shed.

To power a beer fridge, various lights, water pump, hifi, cooling fan, foot massager, heated chair cover, and electric blanket in my remote garden shed using my ebike battery... Are there IP68 waterproof connectors suitable for ebike use? I could make Anderson Powerpoles, XT90 or similar rainproof using dielectric silicone grease and heat shrink, but having experienced one nasty submersion incident so far (went round a bend in a rainstorm, splashed into a pond sized puddle for 13 seconds, and had to bow wave my way out on PAS [thank goodness for PAS]), I'd prefer submersion safe connectors. If I do find suitable connectors, the plan would be to unplug the battery from the controller to prevent possible problems, and plug in the shed amenities via the "pure sine wave" inverter I bought in the ongoing AliExpress sale.

I found these Anderson Spec Pak connectors, but they're only rated for 22A... are these over-engineered? Can they handle higher Amps? Unsure about the flimsy looking clip. I don't want easily detached connectors on my ebike coming apart, as it clatters over potholes. Are there IP68 30A rated connectors suitable for ebike use? My battery BMS limits output to 22A, but I'd like some headroom.

(I'd solder these Spec Paks rather than crimp)

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This isn't an urgent question, because I've ordered what looks like an identical battery mount to the one on my bike, for the shed.

To power a beer fridge, various lights, water pump, hifi, cooling fan, foot massager, and electric blanket in my remote garden shed using my ebike battery... Are there IP68 waterproof connectors suitable for ebike use? I could make Anderson Powerpoles, XT90 or similar rainproof using dielectric silicone grease and heat shrink, but having experienced one nasty submersion incident so far (went round a bend in a rainstorm, splashed into a pond sized puddle for 13 seconds, and had to bow wave my way out on PAS [thank goodness for PAS]), I'd prefer submersion safe connectors. If I do find suitable connectors, the plan would be to unplug the battery from the controller to prevent possible problems, and plug in the shed amenities via the "pure sine wave" inverter I bought in the ongoing AliExpress sale.

View attachment 55703

I found these Anderson Spec Pak connectors, but they're only rated for 22A... are these over-engineered? Can they handle higher Amps? Unsure about the flimsy looking clip. I don't want easily detached connectors on my ebike coming apart, as it clatters over potholes. Are there IP68 30A rated connectors suitable for ebike use? My battery BMS limits output to 22A, but I'd like some headroom.

(I'd solder these Spec Paks rather than crimp)
Why not put a roof on your shed so that it doesn't fill up with water, or you could drill a hole in the wall near the ground so water drains out?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited: