iPhone XR Power Drain

Captain_Mike

Pedelecer
Mar 29, 2019
I ride a Carrera Crossfire ebike which has a USB power output on the Suntour Head Unit. I plan to connect my iPhone to the unit whilst using the Komoot app to follow a pre-planned route. Will this cause any significant drain to the bike’s battery?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
No, if your iphone battery was completely flat and you charged it right back up, it would use less than 1% of your bike's battery.

D

Deleted member 25121

vfr400 is correct however be aware that the iPhone charging current is quite high and has been known to cause problems with the USB 5V power source overheating, you might want to check that your USB output can power a charging iPhone for a prolonged period of time.

James63

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2018
I use komoot and sometimes plug my phone into my Bosch Intuvia unit. Never had any problems.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I use komoot and sometimes plug my phone into my Bosch Intuvia unit. Never had any problems.
it is 5v 500ma so at best will keep the batt level as it is depending on phone and usage.

D

Deleted member 25121

it is 5v 500ma so at best will keep the batt level as it is depending on phone and usage.
Yes, my iPhone 6Plus draws over 800mA when on and charging (just measured it) and I've had problems with 2 cheap 12V to 5V car cigarette socket adapters that were rated at 1A. They were both overheating after 10 minutes or so.

Obviously this was in a car not my ebike :) :) :) but worth checking out the ebike's ability to provide enough current on the USB port before you go on a long ride and have the phone battery go flat part way through.