Is 140kgs to heavy?

RobbyB

Just Joined
Dec 29, 2015
Greetings to everyone. Been lurking here for awhile, but I think its time to bite the bullet.

A brief introduction. My names Rob, I live in Milton Keynes, im 43yrs old 192cm tall(6,3) and weigh about 140kg(22st), and guilty of being lazy for far too long. I've been thinking about getting a bike for couple of months now but fear a normal bike would be a challenge for me and because of this I'd stop using it. So that brings me here. Having not rode a bike in twenty years or so, I'm looking for any help to get me moving.

I've looked at the Kudos bikes but they say 100kg limit. Woosh say up to 20st. Oxygen have a limit of 120kg.
I'm under no illusion that any bike will get me up any real hill. TBH if it keeps me going up a slight slope I'd be more than happy, and hills would have to be walked up.
I'd use the bike purely for recreational rides starting of small and hopefully getting longer, and MK is pretty flat where I live, which is a bonus.
Having read some posts of other large people asking for advice the Big Bear gets a lot of mentions but I would have thought that the crank drive of the Krieger would give better torque because the power is going through the gears?(woosh rate this at 18st only though).

So I guess the question is. Can I get a pedelec bike for under £1200 that I won't destroy with in a couple of rides?

Many thanks in advance. Rob.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i think the weight limit is more for the tyres and how far you want to go on it battery wise tbh.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Greetings to everyone. Been lurking here for awhile, but I think its time to bite the bullet.

A brief introduction. My names Rob, I live in Milton Keynes, im 43yrs old 192cm tall(6,3) and weigh about 140kg(22st), and guilty of being lazy for far too long. I've been thinking about getting a bike for couple of months now but fear a normal bike would be a challenge for me and because of this I'd stop using it. So that brings me here. Having not rode a bike in twenty years or so, I'm looking for any help to get me moving.

I've looked at the Kudos bikes but they say 100kg limit. Woosh say up to 20st. Oxygen have a limit of 120kg.
I'm under no illusion that any bike will get me up any real hill. TBH if it keeps me going up a slight slope I'd be more than happy, and hills would have to be walked up.
I'd use the bike purely for recreational rides starting of small and hopefully getting longer, and MK is pretty flat where I live, which is a bonus.
Having read some posts of other large people asking for advice the Big Bear gets a lot of mentions but I would have thought that the crank drive of the Krieger would give better torque because the power is going through the gears?(woosh rate this at 18st only though).

So I guess the question is. Can I get a pedelec bike for under £1200 that I won't destroy with in a couple of rides?

Many thanks in advance. Rob.
Hi Rob, welcome.

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine, just take it easy in the half pipes :)

I'm not far off your weight, and I regularly tow trailers/kids. In the past I have ridden with my son on the bike.

All on cheap (ish) mountain bikes.

The only time I've wrecked anything was when I hit an 18" pothole at 25mph (destroyed the wheel).

I recently re-built a step through for my 25 stone neighbour. Even on 1.5" 700c tyres its fine.

Something from Woosh or Kudos should enable you to enjoy cycling without costing the earth. Taking easy is the key.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Reactions: hoppy

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
RobbyB....we all put weight limits on our bikes based upon commonsense and product liability. In reality we can't weigh our customers to see if they exceed the weight limit,it just gives some guide to which bikes may be more or less suitable.
If you bunny hopped your 140 kgs off every kerb you will break something in short order but if you ride it sensibly it will probably be ok.
Be honest with your retailer and he will pick the best bike for a heavy guy.
I am 18 stone and ride my little Kudos Secret bike for years with no breakages and minimal punctures.
Kudos have a new dealer in Milton Keynes,listed on our website...he is a good guy,also a big man and represents a number of brands.

Hope that helps
KudosDVe

C

Cyclezee

We have a couple of eZee owners who tip the scales at over 150Kg, one of has had his bike for two years the other less than a year, so far I have not heard that they have had of any problems.

RobbyB

Just Joined
Dec 29, 2015
Thanks for your advice, you all seem pretty confident that it will be ok. I cant get to any of the sellers for a couple of days, but I'll definitely go and have a look in the new year.I'll keep you posted.

chr4

Pedelecer
Mar 6, 2015
If I remember correctly my scott e sub tour 20 croosbar has a max load of 140 kg. It does exceeds your budget but it is built to last.