~Is 15 MPH enough? Discuss

borisd0

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 27, 2013
Let them go faster but keep them on the roads and off multi use cycle paths & tracks.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Yet a full car license grants the right to ride a 50cc moped without any further test, yet not an S-pedelec with similar or slightly lesser performance. insurance, if the class was recognised would be almost a non-issue for most adults as it would be extremely cheap in the scheme of things, helmets would have to be cycle specific, which would require a change to the law.
Only if you passed test before 1st Feb 2001. Since then you must take and pass your CBT

https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists-83-to-88/motorcycle-licence-requirements

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yet a full car license grants the right to ride a 50cc moped without any further test
Not so any longer. At one time to popularise mopeds the government permitted car licence holders to ride P1 class 30 mph restricted mopeds. That didn't last long, ending on 1st February 2001 and any newly tested car drivers in the 12 years since and the future have to go through the full P1 moped driving test procedures, including CBT.

However, the point isn't relevant, a car driver has been tested for competent road use and that is what the driving test is almost entirely for. And of course there is the question of insurance to protect third parties which so many conveniently ignore. As I've pointed out before, when speed rises above natural human speed capabilities the degree of injury damage rises sharply, so insurance cover is essential. Any law imposing insurance on e-bikes will have to be accompanied by e-bike registration, number plate and a driving licence for the law to be administered and enforced.

I'm sure hardly any e-bike riders want all this, which is why I say anyone thinking of asking for higher assist speed limits really needs to think through what that entails.

N.B. Crossed with Garry's post.

LeonardYoung

Pedelecer
Jan 17, 2011
Just seen this thread so rather a late contribution. In my area there are a lot of coastal paths and sea-side promenades shared by bikes, e-bikes, pedestrians, mothers with toddlers, etc etc. Even 15 mph in these situations can be too fast. On the other hand if you were on an empty-ish B road 15 seems slow. I wish the law was "ride safely and with due care to others" but I know that will be abused. So I'm happy with the current limit.