Is a Wisper 806fe folder a good idea?

Heavenfire

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2009
806 Alpino spec

Like Teejay, I'm confused over the 36v motor but 24v battery. Wisper Bikes Alpino spec Likewise, after the praise given to the gearing (above in this thread), why the new gears?

Re. the white frame, it does look good, yet the spec still describes this as Diamond Black Metallic - probably just not updated from 806fe spec table ... but maybe there'll be a choice of colours for both?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Like Teejay, I'm confused over the 36v motor but 24v battery. Wisper Bikes Alpino spec Likewise, after the praise given to the gearing (above in this thread), why the new gears?

Re. the white frame, it does look good, yet the spec still describes this as Diamond Black Metallic - probably just not updated from 806fe spec table ... but maybe there'll be a choice of colours for both?
The 24 volt battery mentioned in the spec is clearly an entry mistake, it should read 36 volts. Likewise the entry error for black frame, it should read white.

I strongly suspect the battery shown in the Alpino photo may not be the right one, since it's identical in size to the 24 volt one in the standard 806 photo. With both being 9 Ah, that isn't possible. That bike could have been a prototype mocked up for the first photo, I've seen this happen before with e-bikes, but perhaps Dick or David will confirm.

Again how about a Brompton fitted with a Nano kit :confused:

At 19kg the 806fe is not exactly light for a folder!

Regards

Jerry
Hello,

The Wisper 806fe isn't as light as a Brompton, but its weight is very evenly distributed compared to some of the other folders on the market. I'm yet to find a customer who hasn't been able to fold it up and easily lift it in to the boot of their car. Although I appreciate that the weight is a much bigger consideration if it's going to be combined with travel on public transport.

The latest batch of 806 fe's also feature a much higher spec saddle and rather snazzy Wisper branded chainwheel in black and silver. Nice to see the continuous improvements.

Cheers,

Martin

Heavenfire

Sep 27, 2009
Inno-word!

Good to see Martin of Inno Cycles on here, responding. Connecting the dots, Martin, it's me you're bringing the 806fe to on Tuesday! Inno-word ... Sale!

Chris.

for the benefit of other readers, I spoke yesterday with Martin of Inno Cycles in York, whose enthusiasm, apparent honesty, answers to my many questions - not to mention a decent price and free personal delivery - won an immediate sale!

Last edited:

richardmu

Pedelecer
May 30, 2009
Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

The Wisper is still favourite. Weight is not so much of an issue as it will only ever need to go in the boot of a car. Bit of brand loyalty aswell!

Only problem is there are new models early next year. More powerful with throttle and on/off issues resolved. There's always something new and maybe better, and certainly more expensive. With the lousy weather at the moment there's no big deal to wait a few months. Maybe the current 806 will then sell at a discount....

Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated.

The Wisper is still favourite. Weight is not so much of an issue as it will only ever need to go in the boot of a car. Bit of brand loyalty aswell!

Only problem is there are new models early next year. More powerful with throttle and on/off issues resolved. There's always something new and maybe better, and certainly more expensive. With the lousy weather at the moment there's no big deal to wait a few months. Maybe the current 806 will then sell at a discount....
The £1000 price tag is still very keen for the 806, compared to what else is available. We can resolve the on/off switch issue as Chris will see on Tuesday!

Chris - I clicked earlier on today when reading your posts. I would normally have read it sooner (especially with your question about a dealer near Newcastle), but my mechanic broke his leg last week so I have been the cheif runner since - so haven't been at my desk as much as usual!

Cheers,

Martin

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Absence

Hi Guys

Sorry not to have been able to respond for the last week and thanks Dick for jumping in.

I have been tied up with the British Electric Bicycle Association and it's code of practice and sales have taken off to the point that I seem to be constantly answering sales queries.

To set the records straight.

The Alpino has a white frame, a 36V 9.5Ah battery, Alfine 8 hub gears, Dapush motor but will not be available in the UK until early summer 2010 and has a much higher price tag.

836Alpino 100.jpg

The image above has the smaller battery and black saddle and grips rather than the brown on the production run.

All the best

David

Heavenfire

Sep 27, 2009
Appreciation

Thanks, David, for taking the time to reply. When things become as busy as they are sounding for you, you need to hear that your presence and time is appreciated.

Chris

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I can vouch for the new Wisper Velo Plush saddle, a big improvement IMO on the old one's.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Beba

Hi Chris

Thanks for your kind reply.

Yes things are going a little crazy at the moment with sales hitting all time highs in the UK (in November?) several new countries coming on board and my new position as Chairman of the new British Electric Bike Association.

I enjoy keeping up with the news on Pedelec and must admit that without listening carefully to the experts and bike users here Wisper would not have grown so quickly.

All the best

David

Heavenfire

Sep 27, 2009
Impressions after buying

Two weeks on, and I've done about 40-50 miles on our 806fe, and my wife (for whom the bike was bought) has done about 10, as she has less free time. Overall, we're very pleased.

Service from Inno Cycles at York was excellent, although the cable-wrapping to the (optional) handlebar power switch was in an unattractive transparent finish. Martin is going to source some in black to improve the appearance at first service.

On delivery, the battery had little power, but after just one full charge and a full empty (recommended conditioning involves 3x this cycle) the bike did c22-25 miles using power all the way, and mostly going pretty quickly. This is quite a quick bike for a little folder, and our local advisory roadside speed camera clocked me at 19mph flat out (very slightly downhill), but power from the motor was still coming.

At just under 15 stone and 6'1" with average proportions, I feel that I'm about max size for the bike, and although we had intended to buy another in a few months, for me it may need to be a bigger bike. There's a noticeable amount of flex in the seat post when set to my height. Still, it's a great bike for bombing around locally and for someone a little smaller its a viable option as your only bike.

The gears are easy to use, although the logic of change needs some familiarity - on the right (back cogs) the smaller button shifts up whilst the big one shifts down, yet on the left (big cogs at the front) its the opposite! However, the lower ratios are totally unused by both myself and my (non-cycling) wife - you'd need to be climbing the wall of a house before needing to change down to the lower 8 gears!

The finish is very good and all the ingredients look right and work right. The locking nut on the folding steering post (is that the right term?) keeps coming undone unless done up mighty tight - stronger locking springs or a lock-washer would help - but I guess this may be a feature of other folders too. There's a knack to bending forward and tightening the knob whilst riding!

So far, we're very pleased with our 806fe and would recommend it to others considering it.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks

Hi Heavenfire

Thanks for that fantastic report, I am delighted your Wisper is working out well for you.

Thanks as well for the comments on the locking nut we will look into it immediately.

Best regards

David

richardmu

Pedelecer
May 30, 2009
806fe joins the 905se

Took the plunge last week as the weather has at last improved and bought an 806fe ex-demonstrator from Martin at Inno-cycle. I was toying with the idea of waiting for the Alpino but there appeared to be too many unknowns at the present so I decided not to wait. The sun is out now!

I had no luck finding an 806 to try locally in the Avon area so ordered blind from Martin in York.

Superb machine. Very impressed. I was expecting to be a bit disappointed with the performance after the 905 but that is not the case. In fact, around town I prefer it to the bigger bike. Really nippy and lots of gears to chose from with or without the motor switched on. Highly recommended. Even my very picky wife likes it (it is supposed to be for her)!

Many thanks to Martin for his excellent support.

You can't have too many e-bikes!!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Good to hear Richard. I was quite sure you would like the 806fe, it's clearly superior to most small wheel folders with regards to it's sensible gear range, this being such a major failing on most.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent

Thanks Richard for the review, I am delighted you and your wife enjoyed the 806. The very large chain drive on the bike makes it feel like a bigger model. And its weight means it can be ridden easily without power, indeed my daughter Amy uses one at Leeds University and usually rides it battery off!

I was especially pleased to see you now have two Wispers in the family! :)

Thanks to you too Martin for your superb service.

Best regards

David

richardmu

Pedelecer
May 30, 2009
alpino next?

Thanks for the comments flecc and David.

I am looking forward to trying the alpino but don't tell my wife! When are we likely to see one in the shops to have a try and is there a final price?

4beeches0

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2007
LS23
If I may I would like to add my appreciation for the very helpful customer service I received from Martin at Inno Cycles in York. Although I eventually decided to continue with a new 14Ah battery for my eZee Liv I was most impressed with the help I received from Martin and the courteous way he handled my enquiries even when he learnt I had decided not to proceed with the purchase of a new bike.

When the time comes to replace my Liv, locally based Inno Cycles will be my first port of call.

John S

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Heavenfire great review and very helpful cheers :)

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks for the comments flecc and David.

I am looking forward to trying the alpino but don't tell my wife! When are we likely to see one in the shops to have a try and is there a final price?
Hi Richard,

The Alpinos will be with most of our dealers in about 4 weeks now.

Prices

806Alpino £1,400
706Alpino £1,700
906Alpino £1,800

All the best

David