Is it a bicycle or a motorbike?

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Kudos Dave. I think you put an extra Neo in when the BH Race is fantastic on its own. The Neo adds little and removes the flexibility of crank drive and off road enhancements.;)

iain85

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2010
Small world Eddie! It's Iain Aprilia RS250 Rookie 400's Bemsee! How have you been?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Wow Iain, I've often wondered how you are getting on. Race bikes to E-Bikes!!! :)
We have some big catching up to do. :)

I have some very happy memories of those Bemsee days, and equally some very very sad ones. Life just hasn't been the same since the death of James. That hit me very badly:(

iain85

Pedelecer
Aug 5, 2010
Same mate, be good to catch up at some point! Bedgebury on the Ebikes? ( When mine is fixed!)

Yes that was a sad time and to be honest its only now I'm a Dad I appreciate the danger involved with the sport. As a result I've moved away from the motorbikes more and more and although I've still got a Ktm laning bike and an Aprilia Rs250 I'm more interested in my ebike when time allows.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Actually flecc I am the same as your lady,events in Cyprus and knowledge of the workings of the city since big bang have made me realise that there is no longer such a thing as a 'safe haven'...I am by nature a risk taker but I don't trust any investments any longer.....my money is in a zero interest account in the biggest bank in the world losing money every year,but its about as safe as it can be....trust me PPI,Endowment mortgages etc etc are the thin end of the wedge to what these banks can invent thesedays to rip the money out of small businesses....as I said to my corporate manager recently at least you don't have to worry about the guys coming in with shooters because most of the crooks are inside the bank already!!!!!
KudosDave
I wouldn't even be sure about the banks being that safe either:

Check out Max Keiser and RT News for the facts you don't here about, as an example look at the first video:

Max Keiser | Financial War Reports

I would invest in a non-perishable food supply and a personal water and energy source while you can still afford to buy it, at least they are tangible assets that have a real worth - you can't eat and drink paper or gold:rolleyes:

I employ the same tactics when accessing any purchases, I ignore the hype and marketing as it has no value and ask the questions of myself, does it do the job I want, is it reliable and safe to use and does it offer me real VFM.

As for the OP's question, the answer is simple, if a bike doesn't obey the current laws it's a motor bike in the eyes of the law no matter what the politicians have promised to overlook and if presented with a case the Judge would have no choice than to rule only on the point of law.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually flecc I am the same as your lady,events in Cyprus and knowledge of the workings of the city since big bang have made me realise that there is no longer such a thing as a 'safe haven'...I am by nature a risk taker but I don't trust any investments any longer.....my money is in a zero interest account in the biggest bank in the world losing money every year,but its about as safe as it can be....trust me PPI,Endowment mortgages etc etc are the thin end of the wedge to what these banks can invent thesedays to rip the money out of small businesses....as I said to my corporate manager recently at least you don't have to worry about the guys coming in with shooters because most of the crooks are inside the bank already!!!!!
KudosDave
If you can go to term gilts in the best countries can be ok and are often the safest bet when things get really bad. I bought three substantial UK gilts in the mad Thatcher period of insane interest rates and enjoyed those 13, 14 and 15% gilts to their terminations, 1999 to 2001. A bit better than zero percent!

The government did try to cop out of those with offers of extended terms at circa 9% instead, but I wasn't having any and took the whole original interest rates over those years.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Was that off the back the years prior to that when mortgage rates hit the magic 15%?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It was actually in the John Major year of '92 after the Thatcher years but a legacy of her policies. Norman Lamont pulled out of the ERM and raised interest rates first to 10, then 12 then 15%. As a result he had to do government borrowing through gilts at those rates, a golden opportunity for anyone with sizeable amounts to invest since rates were bound to drop again quickly. Over the period I was invested in those, my interest rate received averaged almost three times inflation, a very rare event.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
KudosDave, I'm sure that I signed up here a long time ago as EddieJ, but couldn't log in with that name, which is why I have the 'P' there. So unless the Eddie that you have mentioned, constructed oak framed buildings for living, used to race Rookie 400, a bit of Super Sport 400, briefly GP250, and restored classic GP race bikes, then I'm not the same one. :) And if I owe you or anyone else money, then I'm definitely not!!!!! :D

That's very informative about the batteries, so thanks for that. Eventual replacement for mine, was something that had already crossed my mind, but I guess that I'll just have to worry about that one when the time comes. :)

edit.. Please don't think that I was being critical about the Kudos, I wasn't and it's just down to my own personal taste.
Thats the joy of these forums,we can all give an honest view about a bike-as long as its honest!!!
At times I ctirticise my own bikes,so I try to exhibit a fair and level playing field.
KudosDave

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I remember paying 17% at one point and that wasn't from Wonga!!!
KudosDave
Ouch! When buying a second property in the 1960s when one had to be either an investor or a near relative of God to get mortgages, I had to pay 9% for a couple of years before being able to transfer it to another society at 6%. Fortunately I chose to pay off both properties quickly and had them completed at 14 and 16 years respectively in the early 1980s, so never got caught by those later very high rates.

Basically I've been extraordinarily lucky in mainly only paying low interest rates but earning very high ones, fundamental to that luck being born at the right time. I feel sorry for today's young who seem unlikely to ever benefit in such ways.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Our first mortgage, in 1972, was with the local council at 12% fixed rate....

And we considered ourselves fortunate at that!

Those were the days - I could get p1shed on a quid :cool:

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
I noticed the forum is approaching it's 7 birthday - ever wonder what the first thread was about:rolleyes:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It was before that, I made the first pedelecs post which I think was a welcoming one for the pedelecs site, but can't remember how or if it continued or what the immediately following threads were about. I can't remember whether the first post was late September or early October 2006, but I know Russ invited me to join during September.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I remember that now, that single test thread post was all that was in the forum when I posted as first new member in September. Over 25,000 posts ago, but that total only growing very slowly now.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
We don't seem to have Senior/Junior members these days. What was the difference and why did they go?

Advertisers