Is it dangerous to stretch my frame?

zilali

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 7, 2020
A year or so ago I bought a whoosh bike XF08C rear hub e-bike kit. I have mechanical dyslexia so decided to enlist the help of a local bike shop to attach it to my bike. They managed to do it but mentioned that they had to stretch the rear forks/ frame to fit the wheel on.

I rode the bike for a year and loved it , however recently had to take the wheel off and I’m having trouble fitting it back on. My friend who knows a bit more about bikes also couldn’t do it. The above bike shop has since closed and every bike shop I spoke to said they wouldn’t do it as it’s too dangerous to stretch the frame.

What is your opinion on this? Should I continue looking for a bike shop that will do it or accept it’s too dangerous and sell the kit? Thanks

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If it is only 5 or 10mm then the frame will spread if you do it gently, then one spread the frame gently using various methods.
A block of wood cut into the drop (slightly fwd of the axle drop out) and then use a mallet to gently tap the block fwd's along the stays, the frame should spread enough for the motor wheel to fit.
Another option is to use a technique using folding wedges (as a pair) at one end of the timber block insert, the block remains in the same postion and one wedge is tap to slide over the other wedge to add pressure and spreading the gap.
A bottle jack can be used in between the stays to gently spread them.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
What bike is it? What is the measurement between the dropouts? Are your torque washers outside or inside the dropouts?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Steel frame is likely to not be a structural problem, just painful every time the wheel has to go in and out.

Aluminium, could be issues of fatigue cracking over time with significant stress from forcing the frame wide. If aluminium, check regularly especially at welds and inserts/mountings etc., all the way up to the seat tube.

Reactions: richtea99