Is it road-legal to restrict a 500W motor?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
We've discussed what might or might not happen with a non-compliant bike on several occasions before. I thought that this thread was about whether you could make a non-compliant bike compliant by restricting it somehow. If you can, there's no problem with insurance.
shambolic was asking a valid question and it's only polite to answer that question.

CardiffMark

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 3, 2014
It's too big for a MAC. It looks like a direct drive motor. As all their other motors are from MXUS, I guess it's the XF40

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/095/334/454/454334095_013.jpg
Hi d8veh
Just joined yesterday but have been on the site most days looking for pearls of wisdom. Took me a month to decide to convert my giant Talon 2 rather than buy a complete bike. Has now taken another month to decide which kit to go for. Would have definitely gone the BMS battery route if it wasn't for my own ineptitude. I'm actually not that bad with a spanner but ultimately wanted something that was hopefully going to be straightforward. NEARLY ordered an Oxydrive yesterday as the price has currently dropped from £829 to £699.
This morning I fell on this thread about the Cyclotricity rear drive 500W and 1000W kit. The primary reason I will be using the bike is to commute.to work. Only 5 miles each way on the flat along a tarmac trail along the river Taff. All off road. Any of the 250W kits would have been fine for this. However, at the weekend I do get off road into the beautiful Welsh HILLS, hills being the optimum word. This Cyclotricity option of being able to 'restrict' the setup for the commute and then unleashing serious hill climbing potential for the off roady bits at the weekend seemed like a perfect answer. I should have run this by you first really...............but, I was too excited and have ordered the 1000W (in for a penny) with the 48V/11amp frame battery. I may well be in touch for some fitting assistance very soon, although I am hoping Cyclotricity will be there as well should I encounter any problems (have heard good things about there support in the past). I will definitely be putting a post on here once it is up and running to give others some feedback on this new kit. Fingers crossed that the spanner gods are smiling on me!!!

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
It looks like a direct drive which means as an off roader on steep hills it wont be great as it will require a decent speed not to over heat and to provide decent power, so not good for steep technical stuff, it will also be heavy.

Reactions: trex