Is it Smarta to Wisper or Twist? I need Oxygen

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Have you called Wisper service? Normans number on wisper link above. They are normally very helpful. Surely you need to get it sorted whatever you decide to do
Cheers Eddieo...I did try sending a couple of emails but he's on a different thing to me and they just kept bouncing back, in any event I don't like to whine over unimportant stuff....I like to just get on with my life....one day I may have something serious to grumble about :)

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks Gary / Scott...appreciate your comments and may well arrange to test drive an Oxygen, however I still have reservations :

If you prefer pedelec and want to turn it off then simply push the button to turn the pedelec off. You don't need to turn the throttle, but having the throttle there if you need it could be a lifesaver!
What happens if I'm in pedalec mode and I dismount from the bike in a hurry and the crank turns as I'm getting off...does the bike carry on without me ? :)
This happened to me at Presteign in 2009 on the earlier UM44S, that was it for me it totally put me off that bike but now they have fitted an ON / OFF switch so it must have had important connotations.

cheers....Mike

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Thanks Gary / Scott...appreciate your comments and may well arrange to test drive an Oxygen, however I still have reservations :

What happens if I'm in pedalec mode and I dismount from the bike in a hurry and the crank turns as I'm getting off...does the bike carry on without me ? :)
This happened to me at Presteign in 2009 on the earlier UM44S, that was it for me it totally put me off that bike but now they have fitted an ON / OFF switch so it must have had important connotations.

cheers....Mike
I think the pedelec mode works completely differently on different makes and models,on my old giant suede which was pedelec only, if you rested a foot on the pedal it would try and pull away,but on my wisper,sakura and ezee torq pedelec mode only seemed to work if you opened the throttle and pedalled at the same time,the only difference between the two modes is that you have to pedal a little to obtain any power from the throttle at all at all.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Cheers Eddieo...I did try sending a couple of emails but he's on a different thing to me and they just kept bouncing back, in any event I don't like to whine over unimportant stuff....I like to just get on with my life....one day I may have something serious to grumble about :)
Just call Norman, he will probably give a diagnosis over the phone.

I am not very technically minded;) and just cant get my head around the "either or" with the Oxygen bike controls. I like the way the Wisper works, and if it ain't broke why fix it. anyway no way would I be parting with cash for a bike without an established battery, particularly as it now appears there is no weight advantage either.........

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
if you are emailing Norman using the address on here remember to remove the space which has been inserted to foil spammers..

The problems with the Wisper sound very much like there are one or more loose connections between the handlebar controls and the front connection box (if your model has one) or the controller.

I replaced the freewheel on mine a couple of weeks ago and on reassembly it didn't turn on via the red switch, it was a simple issue though, one of the pins from the brown multiway connectors leading to the handlebar switch had got dislodged from the connector housing.

if this were to happen with the connectors for high/low switch and the throttle it could easily cause the exact problems you mention..

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Just call Norman, he will probably give a diagnosis over the phone.

I am not very technically minded;) and just cant get my head around the "either or" with the Oxygen bike controls. I like the way the Wisper works, and if it ain't broke why fix it. anyway no way would I be parting with cash for a bike without an established battery, particularly as it now appears there is no weight advantage either.........

Eddie
I can`t say how long the Oxygen battery might last( although it`s covered for 2 years) but on the road it puts all my other batteries to shame mileage wise.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Eddie
I can`t say how long the Oxygen battery might last( although it`s covered for 2 years) but on the road it puts all my other batteries to shame mileage wise.[/QUOTE

That is good to hear, but the risk of being an early adopter with unknown kit is very clear.........We live in hope!:)

gonyosoma

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 13, 2010
Thanks for everyone's contributions...still undecided, have another week till I need to spend the cycletowork voucher I think!

Had another go on the Oxygen at Bristol Bike Ride but it felt a little low on the handlebars for me...

more thinking to do!

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
Eddie
I can`t say how long the Oxygen battery might last( although it`s covered for 2 years) but on the road it puts all my other batteries to shame mileage wise.[/QUOTE

That is good to hear, but the risk of being an early adopter with unknown kit is very clear.........We live in hope!:)
Hi Eddie,

''Live in hope'' I will say yes and no to that. You are right that is better to be a user of an old technology battery that has been tried by others. The story with Safty Energy is that they originally have been making military and aviation series which they still make but TBH these industries are not as big as mass produced batteries for cars, ebikes and other vehicles. That is why safty has now moved to these industries as well. Safty moved to the new markets but dragged their technology from military and aviation series to ebikes and cars. As we all know the army and aviation do not buy cheap unreliable batteries. What they are looking for is just quality & performance. Also believe me that Safty batteries aren't cheap and we retail new replacements at 399GBP but we nearly do them at the cost.

Best regards

Andrew

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com
replacement stem will sort it out

Thanks for everyone's contributions...still undecided, have another week till I need to spend the cycletowork voucher I think!

Had another go on the Oxygen at Bristol Bike Ride but it felt a little low on the handlebars for me...

more thinking to do!
Hi Gonyosoma,

if you feel the bars are too low for you then just let me know your height and I will personally select the appropriate stem for you. We could offer you an adjustable unit that will certainly improve the riding position. Then it's all gonna be tailor made for you

Kind regards

Andrew

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

more thinking to do!
Well, as you know I have been using an Oxygen for a couple of weeks and like you I prefer an armchair type of ride and needed a lift. Andrew posted me one of his adjustable stems and along with my(always fitted) bar ends the riding position is now spot on.
To be honest in all my years I`ve never had a cycle or motorbike that I haven`t had to customise for my liking, I`ve even been known to import saddles from the States for motorbikes. It takes me ages to fine tune my E bikes but once done they are normally transformed.

Tell Andrew you`ll only buy a Oxygen if he throws in a stem:D Sorry Andrew, but I know how good the bikes are and I also know ( like most other things)that they need customising.

gonyosoma

Jun 13, 2010
just posted on your thread reviewing the oxygen old timer, so these posts cross!

I'm 6'1/6'2 ish with a 33' inside leg...what would you recommend?

CeeGee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2009
Weybridge, UK
just posted on your thread reviewing the oxygen old timer, so these posts cross!

Cutting about 4" off each leg would help. :D ;)

Colin

gonyosoma

Jun 13, 2010
After a flight to the USA in cattle class, being 4" shorter sounds like
a pretty attractive proposition!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
After a flight to the USA in cattle class, being 4" shorter sounds like a pretty attractive proposition!
Diazepam (valium) takes care of Looong flights...... relax and sleep like the dead:D

Kalkhoff and Wisper make bikes with bigger frames.

The more I read re Oxygen the less impressed I am... I like an adjustable stem, I prefer upright riding position, but need to drop handle bars to get bike into motorhome garage. Plus now appears no weight advantage, and they use a cheaper battery (with no history in e bikes) and the price competes with established competitors......... I just don't get it

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Diazepam (valium) takes care of Looong flights...... relax and sleep like the dead:D

The more I read re Oxygen the less impressed I am... I like an adjustable stem, I prefer upright riding position, but need to drop handle bars to get bike into motorhome garage. Plus now appears no weight advantage, and they use a cheaper battery (with no history in e bikes) and the price competes with established competitors......... I just don't get it
Eddie

With all due respect I had the bike for two weeks (you haven`t) and I can tell you it isn`t a bad bike at all. OK, so maybe a few extras like adjustable stem might make it more acceptable to some riders but that doesn`t make it a bad bike.
Sorry to bring this up but remember what you said about my Powertrek when I got it? and it`s turned out to be a cracking bike with the quietest and powerful motor that hasn`t so much as faltered for one second? You can`t make assumptions like you do without concrete proof Eddie.

You go and get a test ride on one and if you think it`s not special then I`ll listen to your reasons.

Not being nasty but just stating facts.

Dave

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com

Hi Eddie,

Thank you for your sceptical comments. The reason why we used fixed ahead stem is simple - rigid, solid and its the safest type of stem you can get. I've seen people in my life with snapped adjustable stems for threaded forks. I also seen a consequences of these and believe me I do not want any of my customers to end up like this. Just try to ride at 30mph going downhill into a big hole in the road and you'll see what might happen with the adjustable stem. IMHO its a lot better to fit a rigid stem with appropriate length and angle then have the adjutable one which you are likely to set up once only in your life anyway. If the riding position does not suit then it's a time to fit different length stem which Oxygen is very keen to supply.

With regs to the battery - WE DO NOT USE CHEAP BATTERIESS and Safty brings outstanding performance. This battery technology has been used in military and aviation batteries which firstly aren't cheap and secondly must deliver best performance - otherwise these would never be used in aircrafts or by army.

With regs to the weight - there is a weight advantage on the Emate Race closing the scale below 20kg.

... and Eddie I really understand your brand loyality. What you are riding is certainly very good and I won't say anything about it. I drive TOYOTA and I'm so loyal to this brand that i would really need to find something great to change this brand.

Best regards

Andrew

Oxygen Bicycles

Trade Member
Feb 18, 2010
www.oxygenbicycles.com

Hi Gonysoma,

I would recommend a 110 or 130mm long with +30deg rise. This would definetely change your riding position. In case you wish to try this please email me and I'll make right arrangemets to fit this stem for you.

kind regards

Andrew

gonyosoma

Jun 13, 2010
Weellll, just in case anyone is interested...I finally went for the Giant Twist Freedom CS Lite....

Why?

In the end it came down to a choice between the Wisper City S and the Giant for me - I wanted suspension forks and post as its quite a bumpy ride.

The Smarta and the Oxygen just felt a little too small for me, and while i accept I could have modified a little to make a better fit, the City S and the Giant (particularly) both felt a lot more comfortable for my tall frame and lanky legs.

The Wisper City S was more than a hundred quid more expensive than the giant, plus I actually quite liked the idea of a bike without a throttle as I want to increase my fitness but am such a lazy git that the tendency to use the throttle might just be too strong! So the Giant felt like I had more ability to work harder as I get fitter - the different levels of help on the Wisper didn't feel so finely controlled.

And though you get better range on the Wisper, I just don't really need that - so didn't really come into play.

Picking it up at the weekend - not many reviews of the Giant bikes on these forums so will let you know how I get on!

Cheers
C

alex_h

Pedelecer
Dec 28, 2009
yes it is so interesting since our bicycle giant maker - Giant moved to ebikes long time but they never even say how big is their battery pack. I just can't understand how company that is so big can hide all of their specs to the customers. The unkown battery capacity is something that would certainly put me off of Giant - regardless how comfy it is.

Look forward to hear your views on Giant