Is it worth using a tracker?

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Just did....absolutely nothing . There's ways around everything if you know how, that's half the fun of it staying one jump ahead.
As it happens I've got nothing to hide anyway I just don't like the idea of huge organizations benefiting from my movements or preferences.
Some years ago I had a big set-to with a poster on a mobile phone forum I belonged to. He was absolutely clear in his mind that all the information he'd given to his phone provider was secure because they had assured him they did not and would not share with anyone else. I spent ages trying to explain to him that many large companies have subsidiaries overseas and they don't have to follow our protocol here in the UK/Europe.
I must admit I got a bit rattled by the whole thing so decided to prove a point, and within an hour I'd found out the poster's full name and address in Manchester, discovered what line of work he was in and even found video he'd posted on You Tube of a family get together. I even managed to discover his faith.
It was around Christmas time and he was quite shocked when I wished him Happy Hanukkah !

huudson

Just Joined
May 19, 2020
I've seen simple wallet tracking devices like the ones you'd have on a key ring and can track via a phone. Is it worth using something like this that you could somehow conceal on the bike? At least you'd know where it ended up if stolen.
The units that track keys are mostly Bluetooth trackers, they are not suitable for tracking bicycles. Choosing a tracker with GPS is the right path. There are many such small bike trackers that you can hide in a cushion.

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
The best advice I could give on tracking devices is turn them off !! After all do you really want every tom dick & harry knowing where you are at any one time ? You pop out for a bike ride telling the whole world where you are via ' Map My Ride ' or one of the many other cycle ride mapping apps, then whilst you happily wend your way around the countryside back home some one is turning your house over because they know you're out.

Nah...that can't happen,,

Same thing goes for phones or any device that uses GPS data sharing...beware.
I use a Garmin Forerunner 35 to track my bike rides. You can set it to disguise your Home starting point if you share to social media ect. You still see your start and end points but everyone else just sees a circular route with no start or end points.