Is my new wisper Torque faulty

pgchimp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 18, 2016
Telford
Hi

I picked up my new Wisper Torque on Saturday and since then have clocked up over 100 miles, enjoying ever inch of the way.
I have been experimenting with various settings with the gears and assist mode for differing levels of roads hills etc.
Whilst I have mastered the ped assist/ gear settings working together I have some concern when riding the bike with no power on at all.
When riding the Wisper mainly on the flat with NO power/assistance at all I find that I am constantly in 1st/2nd gear and then still struggling to turn the pedals. I have never managed to pedal the Wisper in 3rd gear yet and am virtually having to stand on the pedals to propel the bike along.
I have free wheeled the bike down hill with no power and the pedals and wheels wiz around without any load on them but as soon as it becomes time to apply load and pedal on the flat or uphill I just have not got the strength to turn the pedals for more than about 25 metres.
Its as though there is a resistance from the motor without power on, even though the rear wheel spins as it should and the pedals turn as they should.
My next door niebhour has a non electric racing bike and when I have tried that in 1st/2nd/3rd the pedals spin as fast as my legs will turn them
perhaps the gearing on my Wisper is different to the gearing on the racing bike, I don't know
Is the above the nature of the bike being electric or do I have a fault.
Hope someone can help

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Hi

I picked up my new Wisper Torque on Saturday and since then have clocked up over 100 miles, enjoying ever inch of the way.
I have been experimenting with various settings with the gears and assist mode for differing levels of roads hills etc.
Whilst I have mastered the ped assist/ gear settings working together I have some concern when riding the bike with no power on at all.
When riding the Wisper mainly on the flat with NO power/assistance at all I find that I am constantly in 1st/2nd gear and then still struggling to turn the pedals. I have never managed to pedal the Wisper in 3rd gear yet and am virtually having to stand on the pedals to propel the bike along.
I have free wheeled the bike down hill with no power and the pedals and wheels wiz around without any load on them but as soon as it becomes time to apply load and pedal on the flat or uphill I just have not got the strength to turn the pedals for more than about 25 metres.
Its as though there is a resistance from the motor without power on, even though the rear wheel spins as it should and the pedals turn as they should.
My next door niebhour has a non electric racing bike and when I have tried that in 1st/2nd/3rd the pedals spin as fast as my legs will turn them
perhaps the gearing on my Wisper is different to the gearing on the racing bike, I don't know
Hope someone can help
First thing to check is tyre pressure. They should be at 65psi. In six weeks 65 psi will fall to 40psi if not reinflated. Secondly check it for free rotation of the wheels. Pick up the front and then the back and spin the wheels by hand. Both should turn freely. There should be no resistance from the motor or the brakes. The brakes can be adjusted. If you had your front
wheel off, check to see if it is seated in the fork properly as misallignment can cause the pads to rub the rotor. Failing that, have your dealer have a look. I am sure they'd be happy to help.

Cheers

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Have you checked your bottom bracket?
If not just unloop the chain and rotate the pedals by hand, there shouldn't be any resistance or noise from the bearing.
Also check your rear wheel isn't slightly loose, if it is it can be pulled off line against the brakes when you put pressure on the pedals but otherwise move freely as in free wheeling downhill.
Dave.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi PGChimp,

Sorry to read you are having a problem. Somthing certainly sounds amiss.

I've never heard of such an issue before so can't be a massive amount of help without seeing the bike.

Do the pedals turn freely backwards?

Did you buy the bike locally? If so it may be worth popping back to your retailer for them to have a look.

If you are still having difficulties please call on Monday and Claud our tech wizard will sort you out.

Best regards, David

Reactions: IR772

pgchimp

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 18, 2016
Telford
Hi
Thanks for all the replies, I have tried all the suggestions and the one which troubles me is when the bike is not powered and the rear end is lifted off the ground,
I have placed the bike in first gear and turned the peddles hoping to get up a speed with the rear wheel off the floor but it is just not possible giving rise to considerable arm ache after half a dozen turns of the pedals by hand

Immediatelly I stop turning the pedals by hand I would of expected the rear wheel to free wheel for a few revlations but it doesn't happen with the rear wheel stopping within 3 or 4 revolutions and having no where reached a speed I would of expected turning the pedals by hand

I appreciate your further comments as the shop I bought the bike from is 45 miles travel

regards

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi
Thanks for all the replies, I have tried all the suggestions and the one which troubles me is when the bike is not powered and the rear end is lifted off the ground,
I have placed the bike in first gear and turned the peddles hoping to get up a speed with the rear wheel off the floor but it is just not possible giving rise to considerable arm ache after half a dozen turns of the pedals by hand

Immediatelly I stop turning the pedals by hand I would of expected the rear wheel to free wheel for a few revlations but it doesn't happen with the rear wheel stopping within 3 or 4 revolutions and having no where reached a speed I would of expected turning the pedals by hand

I appreciate your further comments as the shop I bought the bike from is 45 miles travel

regards
Hi PG Chimp, I think you need a new motor wheel, somthing is certainly wrong.

Please would you call us on Monday, we will make all the arrangements for you.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best regards, David

Reactions: IR772 and D C

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi PG Chimp, I think you need a new motor wheel, somthing is certainly wrong.

Please would you call us on Monday, we will make all the arrangements for you.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Best regards, David
Could be a motor wheel is needed, although the motor is working in other respects so brake drag could be a possibility.

The drag is being masked by the power of the motor, giving the symptoms described by the OP - powered operation OK/unpowered not OK.

I've come across a handful of cyclists - including a member on here - who failed to diagnose a sticking brake.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Unfirtunately I don't think it's as simple as that, it may be an internal gear problem.

Claud will be able to talk through the issue with you on Monday and will certainly be able to diagnose whatever is wrong. Hopefully it will be somthing simple. Either way we will get your bike sorted out immediately.

All the best, David

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Hi

Hope someone can help
At the moment my back brake is rubbing and I have the exact same problem, truing the rear wheel is on my list of things to do on my day off...

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
It would be very easy if that was the problem, it's certainly worth checking. But with disc brakes the wheel would need to be very much out of true to cause sich binding.

All the best, David

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
or the disc rotor could be bent or warped due to heat.

• Informative
Reactions: IR772
D

Deleted member 4366

It was the brake rubbing. The caliper hadn't been properly centred. That should have been picked up during PDI.

Reactions: flecc

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
why is he still complaining?