Is the Halfords Assist Step through ebike worth considering?

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
I still haven't given up on my dream to ride an ebike despite multiple health issues.

But it could be my first e bike, and as I am not very confident on roads, not an experienced cyclist/mechanic and wish to start very slow and simple on local country roads, whether this bike (at under 500 pounds with one gear, no acceleration, no stand and no throttle!!! ) might just do the job for now until I see whether I can manage to start cycling regularly.

Has anyone else bought this bike and how do you rate it? Would it be a good first buy or a false economy? Reluctant to buy a really nice bike if I don't end up using it...

Thanks again to everyone for all their help and advice on this friendly Forum!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have something similar. It's OK as long as the road is flat, but it soon runs out of puff on hills. the Pedleton Somerby is £739 or lot less if you buy it when they offer the discounts. It has gears to help you keep your pedal speed right and 50% more power.

Reactions: Eagleowl

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Thank you Vfr400! According to Halfords reviews, people are whizzing up hills! And yes, I live in a hilly area. I shall compare the Apollo Metis with the Pendleton, as that also has a few more speeds...

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Be careful when people say things like that. They forget to mention that they only weigh 45kg, or they live in Norfolk where a big hill is about 3ft high.

With full sized wheels, one of those motors at 36v and an average 14 amp controller is about right for an average not very fit person that doesn't need to go up very steep hills. To use the same motor at 24v, you'd need to be 2/3 the weight of an average person. Without gears, you can't pedal hard enough to help the motor on steep hills.

If you weigh less than 60kg, the cheaper bike might still be an option, but make sure that you test it on a hill before committing to purchase.

Reactions: Eagleowl

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Be careful when people say things like that. They forget to mention that they only weigh 45kg, or they live in Norfolk where a big hill is about 3ft high.

With full sized wheels, one of those motors at 36v and an average 14 amp controller is about right for an average not very fit person that doesn't need to go up very steep hills. To use the same motor at 24v, you'd need to be 2/3 the weight of an average person. Without gears, you can't pedal hard enough to help the motor on steep hills.

If you weigh less than 60kg, the cheaper bike might still be an option, but make sure that you test it on a hill before committing to purchase.
Thank you! What you say makes sense and is very helpful advice; I'm just over 60kg, I think, but seem to be going in circles metaphorically if not literally over getting a cheaper bike or a better built spec like Woosh for the long term. Thank you for saying the Pendleton is still a viable option. :)

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
The great thing about halfords is that you can try before you buy. I'd give your local branch a call and see if they can line up a couple of bikes for you to try. Do the same test route for each bike, try and include a hill. Don't forget british cycling 10% discount, free membership if you bank with HSBC

Reactions: lutin

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Egroover, you are right. I will have to do that as it's the only way to know if they will be the best option. I never imagined becoming a member of British Cycling but it sounds sensible in the circumstances.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Halfords discounts often go as high as 20%. They normally happen on bank holiday weekends. unfortunately, you missed the last one. Next one will probably be Xmas.

Eagleowl

Pedelecer
Feb 5, 2019
Thanks for the tip Vfr400! I will remember that. Good thing I'm not in a hurry as it will take that long to try out various bikes, and after nearly a year now can wait until next if necessary! Seems crazy but life and flares keep getting in the way. Looking forward to seeing the new bikes from Woosh and Wisper too.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Reminder that Cycling UK (CTC as was) has similar discounts to British Cycling. Both memberships also include some legal help and third party insurance.

patrick skemp

Just Joined
Oct 4, 2019
i have been a member of Cycling UK/CTC for 40 years and couple of years ago I signed up to British Cycling. I did not renew the latter; might be preferable for those into cycle racing but particularly for non sporty rider (but also for keener cyclists who however do not race) CyclingUK offers far more, not least an excellent bi-monthly magazine. So if Halfords donned offer their members a discount, then its a no brainer for the OP to sign up to Cycling uk

Convert-e-Bike

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 21, 2020
Sorry to butt in here, but I have a question on the Apollo Metis.

A client of mine is looking for a new e-Bike and due to their health conditions require a thumb throttle just to start the bike off on hill starts etc as their joints and leg muscles simply don't have the power to start the PAS .

Is there a way of wiring a thumb throttle on this bike?

I know that there are legal implecations regarding the thumb throttle but I would appreciate some help.

Many thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With throttles not fitted one would have to look or know if the controller can accept a throttle, if no then it won't have the programming most likely. An unused three pin wire output is usually the clue.