is there a High-End-Controller ?

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
is there a controller you can say its a high-end thing...

i mean, not that 30Euro controllers, i would be willing to pay 100-150Euros, if it has some features:

1.) adjustable under-voltage-protection
2.) adjustable max-current
3.) usable from ~20Volt up to ~50Volt

what i mean is, that this things must be adjustable FAST...

i want to drive with my 24V-Battery ?
i switch a DIL-Switch or press a button, and the Voltage-cut-off is set to 20V

next day i wana drive my 36V battery ?
i switch a Switch and i the cut-off-voltage is set to 32Volt

i want to limit the currents ?
i turn a poti on the handlebar, and no more than 5A are sucked from the battery

i want some more help ? i turn the poti and i get up to 15A from the battery

nothing of this should be complicated to implement, but i would want to change this things during driving or at least before i start driving...
AND: without needing a PC...
(having to carry the heavy, dirty e-bike up in the second floor, through the living room to the PC -> not that funny)

of course, what also would be nice: i make this once (carring the bike to the PC), making 2-3 Setups which are stored on the controller, and which i can select later easily by an switch

there are chargers for 40Euro with 2-line-lcd-displays and lot of programmability... so why no controllers? (at least i don´t know any)

so, if there are some, can you guide me ?

kraeuterbutter

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2007
just to making it more fantastic:
;)

features i have seen in RC-flying-world sofar:

controllers for 40-50 Euro, that log max. current, used mah, max and min voltage of battery, peak currents, average current, ....

after use, you can read out the values with a little display

or: programming of gyro unit in an RC-heli: its very tiny (20g light) and small..
so, for programming there are different possibilities,
USB, Palm or bluethooth !!

and the bluetooth-feature would be also nice for ebike...
i mount my cell-phone (with GPS) on the handlebar..
its linked through bluetooth with the controller, and so i can read on the cellphone display things like
speed, max current, average current, mah used so far, .....

AND: i can change some values of the controller over the interface on the cellphone-display very easily..

ok, this is future-musik... its possible (this are things which are done already for 1-2 years in rc-heli-world)
and i for example would be also willed to pay for it

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
e.bike.ca have their Cycle Analyst (formerly the Brain Drain), which when coupled to the old Crystalyte controller would do all you want and more.
Readouts included power, current, voltage, speed and even if you reset them and know the approximate capacity of the battery power remaining.
However I think their new controllers no longer run from 20 to 50 volts as the old ones did, but the good news I think the new Ezee controllers should have the voltage range you want. Changing the parameters took a little practice as it was menu driven but worked well.
the new versions are meant to be even better.