Is there a legal limit for how wide rear bike reflectors should be?

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
We should start a highly controversial "I hate Macs!" thread

They'll never con this fox!

Hope you've got your Kona Ute electrified. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Back to a reflections about reflectors... It was tricky to insert this aluminium bar into the first spring - had to use a vice to hold the spring, but not too tight because of course that would narrow the spring hole.. then hammered the bar in after applying a bit of mineral oil. I'm not sure if I shoved it in enough (said the Bishop to the actress), but I got it in as far as I could (said the Bishop again). Of course I then had to file the hammered end of the aluminium bar, because it had flattened a bit through hammering, then gripped the bar with the vice then turned and screwed on the spring on the other end, using molegrips. It's exactly 63cm in length (said the Bishop)... now to cover about 6 inches of the middle with a bit of tyre inner tube rubber, and secure it to the bike pannier rack. Simples.

It's only a bit longer than originally, should be fine. (said the Actress).

View attachment 47195

Looks like you are going canoeing this weekend :D

How about this:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
It will look brighter than this at night, because when illuminated by car headlights, the reflective part behind the LEDs on the strap will also reflect light backwards. From a distance, it will be a flashing red horizontal line with red reflectors at each end.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
As the spring is helically wound, it will have an inherent direction that "unwinds" the bore, and one that makes the bore even tighter.
So, wind the bar in turning that unwinding way only.

Though this will be obvious enough once you start.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
As the spring is helically wound, it will have an inherent direction that "unwinds" the bore, and one that makes the bore even tighter.
So, wind the bar in turning that unwinding way only.

Though this will be obvious enough once you start.
It was a red-misted struggle using two pairs of molegrips, and a bloomin tight squeeze getting it in (said the actress to the Bishop).

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021
@I893469365902345609348566 , how far away from the kerb are you in your videos? I remember reading a study that drivers tend to mirror the distance between you and the kerb (humans like symmetry), so the closer you ride to the kerb, the closer the passes.
Unless I see that a vehicle is approaching in my rear view mirrors, I ride middle lane. Unfortunately, this isn't possible or doesn't feel wise when there is a lot of traffic, which is when I stick to about a metre and a half away from the kerb.

Perhaps I should try 2.5m and slowly work back towards 1.5m, until I get to a point where angry beeping reduces to an acceptable level.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Too narrow for two bikes
Don't one of you stop and let the other pass, as typically we do on many towpaths, footways etc with cyclist, pedestrians and those with buggies? Much the same as when driving cars around our lanes.

The only potential issue surely is with two brain dead individuals meeting.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
There was a thing in the news the other day(Forgive if this example has been posted tl;dr)
They constructed a car shape wire frame around a bicycle to show drivers how little space in comparison a bike takes up. And that even two cyclists riding two abreast still fits within the wire frame car size.
A good representation I thought.