Is there a legal limit for how wide rear bike reflectors should be?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
what can i upgrade on a imac a1418 slim got the fkn screen off right pita even the screws that hold the hdd in are all diff sizes and threads :rolleyes:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
what can i upgrade on a imac a1418 slim got the fkn screen off right pita even the screws that hold the hdd in are all diff sizes and threads :rolleyes:
Apple don't make things easy, do they? It's why iMacs are not for i! This website says RAM can be upgraded on your model up to 128GB:

Some vids and instructions:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hard drive upgrade for that model:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i can do the hdd but what cpu upgrade ram looks like 16gb max but the head phone jack is broken so need to remove everything to get at that.

is it worth it or just slat a 1tb ssd in it and sell for 200 quid?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
it only has 2 ram slots has 2 4gb installed i5 cpu 21.5 and was a 1tb 5200rpm heap of crap that died.

View attachment 47193

you touch that psu and you die lol :rolleyes:

i think it is this one.
Looks like you're limited to 16GB max:

Standard RAM:8 GBMaximum RAM:16 GB*

Details:*8 GB of RAM is standard and it could be upgraded at the time of purchase to 16 GB for an additional US$200. Although Apple does not intend for one to upgrade the RAM after purchase, and doing so is difficult, it is possible.

In the US (and many other countries), site sponsor Other World Computing sells memory -- as well as other upgrades -- for this iMac.

In the UK, site sponsor Flexx sells memory and other upgrades for this iMac.

In Germany, site sponsor CompuRAM sells memory and other upgrades for this iMac.

In Australia, site sponsor Macfixit sells memory and other upgrades for this iMac.

Also see: Actual Max RAM of All G3 & Later Macs.

RAM Type:PC3-12800 DDR3*Min. RAM Speed:1600 MHz

Details:*By default, this system has 8 GB of 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM. Apple does not intend for one to upgrade the RAM in this system. However, as first discovered by site sponsor OWC, this system has two SO-DIMM slots (204-pin). Unfortunately, accessing these slots requires one to pry off the display that is glued to the case and remove the logic board.

Also see: How do you upgrade the RAM in the "Late 2012" Tapered Edge Aluminum iMac models? Is it even possible? What type of RAM do they use? How much RAM does each model actually support?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i can do the hdd but what cpu upgrade ram looks like 16gb max but the head phone jack is broken so need to remove everything to get at that.

is it worth it or just slat a 1tb ssd in it and sell for 200 quid?
I don't know much about Macs, but it looks like CPU upgrade is a bit of a gamble. I suppose it depends on how useful this iMac is in it's present config. Should be fine for surfing, work processing, 1080p video editing or very slow 4k video editing, Garage Band should run ok.

Processor Upgrade:LGA 1155 (Socket H2)*FPU:Integrated

Details:*Officially, Apple provides no information about whether or not the processor in this model can be upgraded and the company does not intend for one to upgrade the processor either. However, the processor is mounted on a LGA 1155 socket and can be physically upgraded.

Also see: Is it possible to upgrade the processor in the "Tapered Edge" Aluminum iMac models?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
whats it worth with 16gb and a 1tb ssd ?

:rolleyes:
You should be able to make music with that iMac - I use just 2GB RAM on XP running Sony Acid to make many little tunes. If you're not using a huge number of tracks and not using a lot of large samples, 4GB should be fine.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

but will it work in a mac as it could be upgraded to 4 core 8 threads but it is getting to expensive if it goes wrong.

cpu £40
mem 68
ssd 69

£177 so id need to get al least 400 for it plus 10 quid for the head phone jack i just dont think it is worth it tbh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

but will it work in a mac as it could be upgraded to 4 core 8 threads but it is getting to expensive if it goes wrong.

cpu £40
mem 68
ssd 69

£177 so id need to get al least 400 for it plus 10 quid for the head phone jack i just dont think it is worth it tbh
Plus good heat compound, and that CPU could run hotter than the one it's designed for? Just make some tunes with it as is, should be a competent little music making machine. 7,200rpm drives also run hotter, would die faster in that cramped case with little cooling.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

cpu £40
mem 68
ssd 69

My musician mate in Bali says Logic will run fine on 4GB.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i dont want it i have 3 32inc hdr 4k monitors lol ill just slap a 1tb ssd in it and put it on fb for 200 ovno as will be fine for internet or office work ect.

took me a fkn hour to get all the tape off :mad:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

cpu £40
mem 68
ssd 69

Is the BIOS/EFI locked? If you buy that CPU and can't set the multiplier you're stuffed, but you could just get refunded from Cex. I've done that a few times... You'd have to watch the temps tho.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Come on guys a thread completely derailed by PC upgrades which have nothing to do with the topic what so ever. Why not start a fresh thread for the geeky stuff like this.

I know it got a bit geeky on my TSDZ thread but it was related to the subject in question.

• :D
Reactions: soundwave

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
not going to bother with the ram or cpu cos if it is locked id be fooked and risk damage taking out the logic board.

if i worked at foxcon id jump out the window as well :p

• :D
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Why not start a fresh thread for the geeky stuff like this.
We should start a highly controversial "I hate Macs!" thread

if i worked at foxcon id jump out the window as well :p
They'll never con this fox!

I know it got a bit geeky on my TSDZ
Hope you've got your Kona Ute electrified. I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

Come on guys a thread completely derailed by PC upgrades

Back to a reflections about reflectors... It was tricky to insert this aluminium bar into the first spring - had to use a vice to hold the spring, but not too tight because of course that would narrow the spring hole.. then hammered the bar in after applying a bit of mineral oil. I'm not sure if I shoved it in enough (said the Bishop to the actress), but I got it in as far as I could (said the Bishop again). Of course I then had to file the hammered end of the aluminium bar, because it had flattened a bit through hammering, then gripped the bar with the vice then turned and screwed on the spring on the other end, using molegrips. It's exactly 63cm in length (said the Bishop)... now to cover about 6 inches of the middle with a bit of tyre inner tube rubber, and secure it to the bike pannier rack. Simples.

It's only a bit longer than originally, should be fine. (said the Actress).

Last edited: