Is there any good reason not to buy a Greenway E16M106?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You only live once get one (any bike your choice) and enjoy it, doesn't matter how far or how fast you go it's up to you.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

Planemo

Pedelecer
Jun 30, 2015
Not having a throttle would be a deal breaker for me. I use mine a lot, if only to take a break from pedalling whilst maintaining the same speed. Its also handy if I want to get something out of my pocket (vape for example) or as has been mentioned, when filtering through traffic as unlike when using pedal assist, when the throttle is released the power stops immediately. It doesnt sound like a throttle would be a big thing (and I wasnt overly fussed myself prior to purchase) but now having used one I wouldnt be without it.

philliptjohnson

Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2017
Washington
Yeah, I'm limited to the cycle2work scheme I believe (I would say unfortunately but it was fine as wanted the crossfire e anyway). I work for a big company that has a benefits website and you apply through that... Only scheme they support on the benefits website is the cycle2work scheme.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Right! Decision made, I'm getting the Greenway. They emailed me back and said as far as he knows it is possible to add a throttle.

It can also be de-restricted to 40 kph (25 mph)

Thanks again guys for all your help

Reactions: Gaz

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Does anyone on here have that exact Greenway ebike?

Is it a rebadged version of another bike?

I can't find any reviews of it anywhere!
It will most likely be manufactured by Golden Wheel. Their brand is "e-totem".

Chances are it is one of last year's models - I can't find it on the current website.

This seems to be the closest model I can find in the current lineup, but it has a less funky frame:
http://www.goldenwheelgroup.com/en/product/e-totem-2017/mountain/2017/0503/169.html

D

Deleted member 4366

Probably too late for your decision, but to clear up a couple of points: A throttle isn't necessary, but it can be useful at times. The motor in the Oxygen is not the same. It's the cassette version, which means that you get decent gears. The Greenway bike has the free-wheel version of the motor, which means the top gear at 13T will be too low for pedalling when derestricted. You can fix that by changing it to a DNP one with 11T top gear at a cost of about £20 to £35 plus any fitting costs if you don't do it yourself. Also the Oxygen's derestricted speed is closer to 24 mph on the road.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm sceptical because it has the three into one harness with Julet connectors, Normally, it would be a four into one to have the connector for the throttle, which would be at the handlebars, not at the controller. It wouldn't make any sense to have a throttle connector at the controller end, and I've never seen one like that on any bike with such a harness. If you look at all the harnesses with throttles, they have a 4-way harness.

The Oxygen has a 4-way harness with a blank plug in the throttle one, so you have the option to fit a throttle or not.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Where are you geting this info? Just from the pics?

I found the Freewheel you suggested:

https://www.amazon.com/DNP-Epoch-Freewheel-Nickel-Plated/dp/B007A8RSTQ

Seems a simple enough job to change as long as you have the right freewheel remover tool!

I wonder is there an option to change the whole harness for a 4-way?

I'm guessing that would depend on the end that plugs into the controller which looks like its integrated into the battery base?

D

Deleted member 4366

The three way harness might have a different number of pins at the controller end compared with the four way one. Without seeing them in the flesh, I couldn't say.

The gearing is listed in the spec. 13T and 14T is always free-wheel. Cassettes are normally 11T. I looked at the photos to see if it had the spare connector for the throttle, but they don't show one.

Reactions: Croxden

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
D

Deleted member 4366

You have to be careful because there's different types of connectors that look similar. Also, even if you find one with the right connectors, some have two pins and some have three for the brakes.

D

Deleted member 4366

Just seen that it says 4pins for power panel. Yours would need 5 pins for the LCD.

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Well Greenway are not doing themselves any favours...I emailed them yesterday at about 3pm and said. "I am now registered on the Bike 2 Work Scheme, please send me a quote so I can submit it" They emailed back saying now problem....

.....here I am 24 hours later with no email.

I phoned them about an hour and a half ago and the guy who answered said his colleague wasn't in today and that's why he had got back to me yet but he would definitely send me a quote today....

.....I will definitely be visiting a few local bike shops tomorrow!

phil01

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2017
Dartford Kent
I'll have to wait til I get the bike to double check but I just found this harness on ebay:
I bought the model before your one last October.. dine 1180 miles and not had a single problem other than 4 puncture and one gear cable adjustment
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ECON17-WIRING-LOOM-HARNESS-FOR-E-BIKE-ELECTRIC-BICYCLE-CONVERSION-KITS-36V-250W-/361352677127?hash=item54224c4707:g:604AAOSw9N1Vw0vu

It would be great if the connections were the same and it was simply a matter of swapping them over and adding a thumb throttle!

Do you know of anyone who's bought a Greenway?

phil01

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2017
Dartford Kent
I've got the model before yours
Had it since last October and done 1200 miles .
No faults at all other than 4 puncture and a gear cable adjusment

Damian.Doherty

Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2017
Derry, Ireland
Thanks Phil,

I will drop them another email on Monday morning, just out of curiosity

1. Does your bike have a throttle?
2. Have you delimited yours?
3. If yes, was it easy enough to do?

I'm glad to hear your having a good experience with yours, if that's all that's happened in 1200 miles then I would say that its very reliable bike! :)