Is there merit in buying an optimate or are they a waste of £££

HittheroadJ

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2010
Northern Ireland, BT1
Hi There,

I have SLA batteries. Someone told me he uses an optimate to charge his batteries.

I have googled a bit and did come across accumate, tecmate and optimate chargers that all claim they can do all this magical maintenance (de-sulfating and regenerating cells etc.).

Are they any good?

Has anybody tried these?

It may be better to just get new batteries (Though the ones for my bike have gone from £120 to £130 and now to £145 in the five months that I've owned the bike.). At these prices getting a LiFePo4 one sounds more and more appealing.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
I use one of these, does everything the optimate claims too although I'm not sure about rejuvenating a spent battery. The main benefit of this kind of charger is it can be left permanently connected for seldom used batteries. One problem for ebike use, you can only charge one battery at a time, unless wired in parallel.

CTEK XS800 Car Battery Charger - the smartest battery chargers in the world!

What batteries are you using? £130.00 seems pretty expensive.

You may find something cheaper among these mobility batteries
Battery Masters :: Sealed Lead Acid Batteries :: Mobility Batteries :: NPC & TEV Series

Last edited:

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Optimates are rather good, but there are cheaper versions around that do just the same job. If you see one of the Lidl/Aldi chargers, grab it, as it's pretty good bang for the buck.
For the SLAs, depending on your size, Home are doing deals on some.

HittheroadJ

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2010
Northern Ireland, BT1
I have Lidl chargers for my normal AA and AAA batteries. I've found them to be excellent.
Thanks for the tip I'll have a look.

Optimates are rather good, but there are cheaper versions around that do just the same job. If you see one of the Lidl/Aldi chargers, grab it, as it's pretty good bang for the buck.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Optimate is excellent for a vehicle that is rarely used but drains the battery all the time (alarms etc), I don't see much point in one for an ebike as they charge slowly and cannot bring a dead battery back to life.

HittheroadJ

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2010
Northern Ireland, BT1
Glad to hear yours works as hoped. However, is it not possible to charge 24V? This one claims to be able to charge two 12V in series TecMate Company World Wide

I bought two Currie-Electrodrive ones. One for daily use and one for occasional (weekend rides with partner etc.). This means I can just rotate batteries most of the time. It also means little downtime despite long waiting times for parts etc. (with e-bikes the waiting times can just be longer even for minor repairs you may need to order parts.).

The currie electrodrive comes with it's own Rack Mounted Batteries. Bicycles Parts - Izip Electric Bike Parts - Izip Trailz AL Spare Battery 24v Complete
They contain two SLA batteries. The space is so small that it is hard to find fitting batteries. Particularly if you want to change to LiFePo4.

It lead to these disussions.
donob08
09-11-09, 06:58 AM
Ping's 15 AmpHr is one rectangular brick. It looks a lot like Juice rider's photos. Normally the demensions are 5.9 x 4.1 x 5.9 inches. Ping made mine 5.8 x 8.5 x 3 inches. The three is too thick to fit in the case. Ping can adjust configuration since the battery is made up of individual foil packets.

Yes, I had to cut out the interior dividers and cut thru the outside wall. This photo is not mine but from bluethermal on Endless-sphere.com • View topic - A different e-Zip Trailz .

So, basically: you either pay for the ridiculous prices for the SLA, or find tiny replacement batteries, or change the case. I am also looking to see if I can make the batteries last a bit longer with optimates. They last only something like 8 months. This looks to be partly due to the fact that the electrodrives can draw quite a bit of power (35 Amp peak). This will shorten the life of the batteries. It also means that if you want to replace the SLA's with more modern ones you have to look closely at what you're getting. LiFePo4 batteries need to be able to suplly enough power or their BMS will cut their power when you go full-throttle.

I use one of these, does everything the optimate claims too although I'm not sure about rejuvenating a spent battery. The main benefit of this kind of charger is it can be left permanently connected for seldom used batteries. One problem for ebike use, you can only charge one battery at a time, unless wired in parallel.

CTEK XS800 Car Battery Charger - the smartest battery chargers in the world!

What batteries are you using? £130.00 seems pretty expensive.

You may find something cheaper among these mobility batteries
Battery Masters :: Sealed Lead Acid Batteries :: Mobility Batteries :: NPC & TEV Series

Last edited:

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
For an electric bike you need deep cycle batteries with thick plates....I dought that these batteries will be correct, they are going to be for loat charge applications....Good SLA batteries for an electric bike are going to set you back around £110....DONT BUY CHEAP SLA batteries.

try Bernie at Bikes and Batteries 01780 471010.....not cheap but good quality

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
For an electric bike you need deep cycle batteries with thick plates....I dought that these batteries will be correct, they are going to be for loat charge applications....Good SLA batteries for an electric bike are going to set you back around £110....DONT BUY CHEAP SLA batteries.

try Bernie at Bikes and Batteries 01780 471010.....not cheap but good quality
Sod's Law strikes - until recently component-shop had some 18AH that were deep cycle - I was seriously considering them, especially as they were on offer at four for the price of three. All gone, now. In relation to those ones, I'd emailed the owner specifically asking about cycle use.