Isn't it easy to?

tenderbehind

Pedelecer
Oct 31, 2008
- Buy or, I suppose, to otherwise obtain the wrong, ie, not quite the ideal e bike. I had three goes before I settled on and am very pleased with the Wisper 905, but as a beginner a couple of years ago I really bought the wrong bike, not powerful enough with just it's 24v 10 amp hour battery, and the second - heavy and limited to 15 mph.
But it's like so many things on the market today - too much choice, well for me anyway, and when you DO choose chances are what you have bought will be out of date in six months time, sometimes less. So what do you do? Keep what you have bought, keep what you have bought but buy the new model anyway, or try to sell the out of date model and not buy the new model until you have done so. I must admit with the bikes and digital cameras I own I could hardly be bothered to try to sell the old models, only mentioning they are for sale in passing to a few people, even though I'm a salesman by trade - much easier to keep the old model, stick it away somewhere and go out and buy new. Maybe even use them (the old) occasionally. Still, I'm not too extravagant, in 30 years of trading I've only had three vans, (the first one blew over in the wind after only owning it about six months), and the car I have now I've had for 10 years and it's still going great after 270,000 miles.

Last edited:

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
Ask me again in a few months time, I've just got back from my test ride of a Powabyke X6 and I'm in the process of getting it via cyclesheme.

My test ride was a very close approximation of my commute and I've got a good idea of its the pros and cons from the review and discussions on this board (thanks guys) and from A-to-B's reviews, so it was a well informed choice.

Actually, I know that it's not my ideal ebike, but I think it will be good enough for my daily commute, it's comfortably within my price range and the local bikeshop is a Powabyke dealer so I only need to wheel it round the corner if it goes wrong.

I'll be stuck with it for at least a year so fingers crossed :p

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
- Buy or, I suppose, to otherwise obtain the wrong, ie, not quite the ideal e bike. I had three goes before I settled on and am very pleased with the Wisper 905, but as a beginner a couple of years ago I really bought the wrong bike, not powerful enough with just it's 24v 10 amp hour battery, and the second - heavy and limited to 15 mph.
When I was looking for an ebike I was worried I'd get an unsuitable machine that needed upgrading quickly, fortunately I found this site and Flecc said there was only one option that would be very suitable so I didn't have too much choice to mull over. :D
I still took a couple of types for a test ride and saw the differences for myself, I even ignored the salesman's recommendation that a £600 cheaper bike would be suitable. The setup cost of riding to work ended up at about £2000 but I'm glad I spent more initially as it would have been easy to go for the wrong choice, this cycling lark is a bit pricey.

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I think the best idea is to find an ordinary bike that suits you - frame size, riding position, suspension etc. You have a choice of hundreds at many local retailers. Then fit a kit.

Vastly better bike for the money, vastly better choice and they only take about an hour to fit and no special skills. Yes you have to do a bit of research to make sure the components will work together (disc brakes, fork type etc)but probably less than the research you would have to do before buying a complete bike. Probably less hassle too.

wibble

Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2008
I think the best idea is to find an ordinary bike that suits you - frame size, riding position, suspension etc. You have a choice of hundreds at many local retailers. Then fit a kit.

Vastly better bike for the money, vastly better choice and they only take about an hour to fit and no special skills. Yes you have to do a bit of research to make sure the components will work together (disc brakes, fork type etc)but probably less than the research you would have to do before buying a complete bike. Probably less hassle too.
I agree.

Heck, I think a better idea would be buy some tubes and weld your own bike together. Should only take 10 minutes.

:p

The Maestro

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2008
I agree.

Heck, I think a better idea would be buy some tubes and weld your own bike together. Should only take 10 minutes.

:p
Beforehand why not mine the ores and process them into tubes yourself? Do you believe that people actually pay for tyres when all you have to do is go and poke a tree in africa and rubber runs out ? People so gullible/lazy :(

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Beforehand why not mine the ores and process them into tubes yourself? Do you believe that people actually pay for tyres when all you have to do is go and poke a tree in africa and rubber runs out ? People so gullible/lazy :(
i agree,why not grow your own tree !:D

Brian-Lopes

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2008
Maestro you are deluded. See my other post re kits. They are like the chavvy boy racers of the ebike world.......