It has to be fast!

cheekySausage

Just Joined
Jul 17, 2015
Hello all. I'm looking for an ebike! I've been looking around and it's difficult to know what's a good quality bike, what's going to fit me and what sort to go for! I half thought about buying a moped for the budget ive got but I love biking, I want to keep fit, and I recon an ebike will be a cool way to get about!

My situ:

Got a 14 mile round trip commute with hills and 1 long 50mph road.

I'm 6'6" so I need a big frame (22" ?) or one that will hold together under the strain of a long seat post and allow me to add a handlebar raiser. I'm around 15 stone.

I want to go as fast as my budget will allow, at least 30mph.

I dont want it to be obvious I'm riding an ebike - prefer to keep it steathy.

I've got a budget of £1500.

Cheers!

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
You will have to build it yourself if you want 30mph. Is that something you are confident with?

cheekySausage

Just Joined
Jul 17, 2015
You will have to build it yourself if you want 30mph. Is that something you are confident with?
Hi mike, oh right that explains why I'm struggling to find what I'm looking for. I'm a fairly handy person so yea that'll be OK. Just want to make sure the bike will be robust enough to handle the electronic modifications.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Hello all. I'm looking for an ebike! I've been looking around and it's difficult to know what's a good quality bike, what's going to fit me and what sort to go for! I half thought about buying a moped for the budget ive got but I love biking, I want to keep fit, and I recon an ebike will be a cool way to get about!

My situ:

Got a 14 mile round trip commute with hills and 1 long 50mph road.

I'm 6'6" so I need a big frame (22" ?) or one that will hold together under the strain of a long seat post and allow me to add a handlebar raiser. I'm around 15 stone.

I want to go as fast as my budget will allow, at least 30mph.

I dont want it to be obvious I'm riding an ebike - prefer to keep it steathy.

I've got a budget of £1500.

Cheers!
i can sympathise with wanting to go 30 mph, in the real world 20 to 25 mph gets one there almost as quick and is a great deal more manageable, safe and relaxing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kalkhoff S pedelec are quick cost around 2k, if you are fairly fit 25mph shouldn't be to much problem.

Rik D

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 19, 2015
Cardiff
I was in the exact same position as you about a month ago, and a motorcyclist myself , and decided to go for it . If i were you ide consider buying a kit to go on a reasonable qualty bike and save yourself alot of money . They can be installed with ease in a couple of hours depending on what kits chosen with minimal machanical knowledge , also youd get to choose a kit and power to suit your needs , hill climeing capeability , top speed , range . Aswell as being able to choose your choice of nice looking bike to go with it .
On my buld ive gone for a reasnably priced £400 MTB " voted best mtb under £500 last year " a 1500w offroad kit comeing in at just over £900 includeing 20 ah battery with 50 mile range , upgraded tyres and tubes £70 ............ So for about £1400 its cost me i get the spec of bike that would cost me as far as i can see online anything between 3k -6k , and mine will look nicer than most of them . lol

DKF

Jul 21, 2015
I’m another motorcyclist wanting to start peddling again to help work on my fitness. I would be very interested to know a bit more detail if pos please.

How would you decide how much power you need or which kit is best for hill climbing or offroading for instance?

.. Thanks D.

Reactions: Rik D

Rik D

Jul 19, 2015
Cardiff
Just think what would you be useing it for , on or off road , both ? How heavy are you , whats the area you live in , flat or hilly ? How fast and how far do you want to go ? All things to take into account when chooseing a kit .

DKF

Jul 21, 2015
OK Rik, thanks, so "it has to be fast" ;-)
And, if you were fitting me up, knowing what you know now, having already done it for youself. Riding for pleasure and fitness. 5'.11" and 12.5 stone, Peak District and Sherwood Dukeries are within easy reach, hilly and flat in equal measures. 50 miles in one go probably max. I would probably want to stay clear of the traffic as much as pos. What do you think?
Thanks Dave

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I would do some searching here. All this has been covered many times. You don’t need a massive motor to go faster than is legal and 250w motors will go much faster than the legal 25kph cut off with changes to the settings and will carry a lot of weight uphill. Modern motors put out much more than 250w at maximum and that is a purely nominal figure. Check out the kinds of motors that are best for climbing, since they are different from motors that are good for going fast on the flat.

As for range 50 miles is as good as you will get with a 17ah battery Kalkhoff on flat ground with a torque sensor using the maximum assist setting and pedalling well. Less in hilly terrain. You would get nothing like that with a speed sensor and using a throttle. Certainly not going fast.

DKF

Jul 21, 2015
Will do just that John, many thanks for the info.

Dave.

speedict mercury ebike user

Dec 26, 2014
I would go with Rik as well. I would consider a bigger battery though. I also have 48V, 20ah one. With 1000 watt motor and 1500 watt controler. Max speed is 60kph. Range then is about 20 km. If i would drive continiously, which is never possible where i live. I weigh 14 stone. If you use half the power you will go over twice as far and ride probably still 40km. I have used an old ladies bike for it, simply replaced the front wheel with 1000 watt from ebay. Battery i made myself with single cells a123 from aliexpress. Bms to it as well. Controller bought seperately from ebay. Total costs about 900$. Bike is really superfast in acceleration and a lot of fun to drive. You have to use crimp plugs, i have soldered them to the wires and have a lot of glitches since the bike is handling so much vibrations. Make sure you buy a controller which can handle regenerative braking, since this brakes super as well, together with the front and rear disk brakes. If you have questions let me know

Rik D

Jul 19, 2015
Cardiff
Mine is still in the build stage at the moment , still waiting for maxxis hookworm tyres to cope with the extra weight and speed ,their double walled and puncture resistant and extra wide for a smoother ride , but will get pictures up in a week or so .
Generaly tho the rear drive hub motor is king of middle to fast speeds and moderate hills , which personley is all i need ....... Pros with this is fast , you can just use the throttle without changeing gears and cruise along if you choose or you can pedal hard . Also more economical on the flatish areas over long distance .... Cons , will struggle especialy at standing start up higher inclines , less economical on steeper hills and may nott manage the sheerest of hills .
Mid drive kits , the best on hills in general and most economic , they work diffrently bye powering the pedal crank so you must use the gears as you would a normal bike , but if you go through the gears properly as you would a motorcycle , car , then you can get great results from them ..... Cons Higher maintanance , chains takes alot more strain and need to be upgraded sometimes , harder to fit tho not that difficult .
Sounds like your both into a bit of speed ;-) , its true even the 250w can give great results with pedal assistance etc , but ide go for a bigger kit , something that will keep that smile on your face and give you that thrill factor when you want it , at the end of the day you can still pedall when you want to . But its personal choice of course .
Cant be anything worse than getting a kit , then you realise you wished you gone for the bigger one , like i suspect many do .
A good idea is look at rear and mid drives on you tube videos and youl get a real good idea of what each are capable of in various surroundings . Then you can work out what power etc suits you and your needs .
For me i looked and considerd even bigger engines than the 1500w but decided the speed and talk were too much for the handeling and structure of a normal MTB frame and you would need more of a moped motorcycle frame or a custom made one like greybourg that would handle everything better . Average MTBS get a bit hairy to ride after about 35/40 mph and become too dangerous .
With the battery if your doing a 26 mile round trip commute ide go for a 15ah battery , and for a 50 mile run at least a 20ah .
Hope this helps .... Rik
Ps .... your onley here once treat yourself , you deserve it ;-)

Last edited: