It's bloody new and broken!

Underlayunderlay

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2019
Dorset
Some may know that I've just bought an Oxygen mkll s cross and from what I'm experiencing it might be broken?
The battery by has not been below 30v yet but it's got a flashing LCD Square and not responding to peddle assist or the throttle. All contacts look clean and I don't think I've even done 20 miles on it yet...help!!!

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
31.4v is lvc so it will flash as the battery BMS will not allow any operation, it is possible that going so low on a new battery may mean an unbalanced cell group. Which means that a cell group may now be lower then the rest, so as mentioned place it on charge and when the charge light turns green leave it for a couple of hours to balance properly. At the end of the balance time you should see 41.5 - 42v anything else means you have an issue with imbalance, it will be more prudent to cease/keep discharge to 32/33v to keep cells happier.

39.8v isn't charged it is about 77% - 83% or there about's, if it won't go higher you have a charger not outputting 42v or the battery is badly unbalanced. You can't open it as you will likely void any warranty so contact your dealer/shop at the first instance if you have no joy with charging.

Kirsten's suggestion is a great call and should be checked, I check mine 2 or 3 times a year as I had a couple that drifted and had to make adjustment via the internal sealed pot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Underlayunderlay

Underlayunderlay

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2019
Dorset
31.4v is lvc so it will flash as the battery BMS will not allow any operation, it is possible that going so low on a new battery may mean an unbalanced cell group. Which means that a cell group may now be lower then the rest, so as mentioned place it on charge and when the charge light turns green leave it for a couple of hours to balance properly. At the end of the balance time you should see 41.5 - 42v anything else means you have an issue with imbalance, it will be more prudent to cease/keep discharge to 32/33v to keep cells happier.

Kirsten's suggestion is a great call and should be checked, I check mine 2 or 3 times a year as I had a couple that drifted and had to make adjustment via the internal sealed pot.
Nealth (all) have I or will I bugger my battery.

Here's what's happened so far charge wise. New bike last Wednesday.....full charge, 4 hours then went to green.
Since then around 4 charges each time after a short ride...41-42v down to 36v ish after an hour's ride, same again the following day then the charger is turned off when green light is on.

I've been bringing the battery inside and charging it in my office due to the temperature outside.
In the future should I ride the bike until it's flat?

I think I understand the cell ballanceing now.o_O:oops:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
A 36v battery is so called because that is the nominal voltage, it's suitable working voltage range is 32v - 42v. Each volt in the usable range is aprrox 10% , you can use this as a rough guide to it's charge % state.
The charger must read 42v out put when not plugged into the battery, simply plug it into the mains switch on and measure the charger's output. The battery BMS only uses top end cell balancing which is typically between 41.6 - 42v, so if the charge doesn't output 42v then it will not balance the cell groups.

Last edited:

Underlayunderlay

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2019
Dorset
I will update my findings tomorrow. Still a bit confused as I had charged it last night and was hoping to do a 14 mile round trip today with a pub at 7 ... probably 2 hrs plus but after 5 miles riding and locking it up in my garage it failed to do any more assisting.
If I do get stuck in a pub then I can live with that but I had been sold a 50 mile range when comparing what bike to get .
Do Wetherspoons let you plug in?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
What assist level are you using ?
Good/v.good range is down to many variables low assist is one of them , other important ones are rider weight and input, terrain/hills and wind resistance. You can add to the list but these are the basics.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
In the future should I ride the bike until it's flat?
If possible, never ride it till its flat. The BMS will prevent it getting really, really flat (as you have seen), but even regularly nearly flattening it won't help the battery ... just use for emergencies.. Try to charge when it is between 25 to 50%

• Useful

Underlayunderlay

Pedelecer
Oct 16, 2019
Dorset
What assist level are you using ?
Good/v.good range is down to many variables low assist is one of them , other important ones are rider weight and input, terrain/hills and wind resistance. You can add to the list but these are the basics.
I'm riding if at power mode, and I'm not light...ahem 15 and a half to 16 stone. Minimal input but I did come back last time absolutely knackered so I must be doing something.
Just to put my mountain biking into perspective.. it's more of a pain management/ rehabilitation try o start hence the lazyness on the rides.
Once the fitness builds I will come down the power modes to eco eventually.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I'm riding if at power mode, and I'm not light...ahem 15 and a half to 16 stone. Minimal input but I did come back last time absolutely knackered so I must be doing something.
Just to put my mountain biking into perspective.. it's more of a pain management/ rehabilitation try o start hence the lazyness on the rides.
Once the fitness builds I will come down the power modes to eco eventually.
At your weight you will never get 50 miles that might be quoted and certainly not in power mode, max range is in lowest assist level available and under 15.5mph.

• Useful