It's cold, dark, windy and raining: never mind !!

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
As i cycle on roads that have zero lighting for miles i need good lights, although steep in price these are perfect. You can program the beam ratios for flood and spot depending on your needs, perfect for me. (should add mine are the 1200 version so the 1400 should be pretty bright)

NiteRider Pro 1400 LED 2011

And on the rear 2 of these when they arrive but currently use smart light also good but damaged so replacing it with 2 of the cherry bombs.

NiteRider Cherrybomb Rear Light 2011

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
You're making me feel like a cheap skate :)

£10 for Jacket, £8 for waterproof over trousers

Lights were free with bike, rear light has been repaired with bits from other lights...

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
My cheap (20-25GBP) Polaris waterproof over-trousers do a good job: the taped seams keep the rain water out and the overall functionality is great (elastic belt, zipped ankle/leg, reflector band etc.).

My main 2 problems are:

1) I tend to put things in my trouser pockets, but with the over-trouser they become inaccessible ! :eek: (yes, my fault really)

2) They are not breathable so they make me sweat...I suppose you get what you pay for.

I hear that the eVent jacket is top-notch as a waterproof layer on top of a merino base layer (which keeps you warm, even when damped due to perspiration or water ingress). If you have the money, that should be at the top of your list.

eVent fabrics: our technology

Personally I still use a basic waterproof jacket (K-Way type with zipped front)...it's low tech so it works only when there's no strong wind (it is the wind that pushes rain drops into even the most hidden "holes" in the jacket design)

My cap is made of Gore-Tex Paclite, which I don't find very breathable so it gets damp inside...because of head sweat !! :eek: :D

Looking forward to hearing more on that subject ! :)

Last edited:

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Don't get me wrong i still have sleepless nights over the cost of the lights :eek:

But it really is dark, beautiful to look at the sky but pretty bad for getting mowed down :(

These lights instantly made it safer to such an extent i can ride at full speed at night.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009