It's cold, dark, windy and raining: never mind !!

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Following my recent purchase of Seal Skinz gloves (thanks to the advice on this forum), I feel like giving praise to some great products I am using to cope with the not-so-kind-to-cyclists winter weather :)

• Waterproof gloves (photos below): Seal Skinz product, warm and solid, nice palm padding, and probably a good hand/skin protection in case of an accident. 17GBP which is great value !! One small reservation: it's multi-layered, and it can be hard to "slide" your fingers in (especially when you have slightly wet hands due to rain fall). Otherwise I love these gloves.
  • Waterproof over-trousers: I've got a pair of Polaris-branded ones (20-25GBP) because I like the quality of the sealed polyester seams, the long leg zip doesn't get stuck and the elastic band at the top is still strong. However I am sure there are plenty of good alternatives out there. One minor annoyance: no pockets !
  • Waterproof jacket: I use a thin red polyester top that can be squished into a small bag. It's a bog-standard cheap overlay that I use for gardening, walking, etc. It's got a breathable opening at the back, and a hood that I rarely use when cycling.
  • Breathable fleece layer: the dark sweater in the middle of the photo is made of thin layer of fleece, with a breathable strip of polyester (very fine net/mesh material) under the arm length, arm-pits, and down to the hips. Fantastic to keep warm under the waterproof ! The brand is "Dare2Be" and it only cost 8GBP. UPDATE: I now use merino wool base layers, I can't recommend this material enough !!
  • Waterproof socks: I don't actually mind getting my shoes wet, but I like to keep my feet dry: these 11GBP Seal Skinz socks are genius !
  • Waterproof hat (photo below): This is a more expensive treat, a 20GBP Berghaus hat, with flexible visor, ear flaps, neck protection and adjustable head circumference. It's made of a Paclite shell and Gore-Tex lining. It's very very light, can be folded away into a small space and yet keep you dry, warm, and deflects rain water from your cycling shades. One small annoyance: it's not really breathable, as I found my scalp covered in sweat after a 15mn ride. You really need to dry the hat inside-out to make sure it remains clean. Otherwise I love it, what a great accessory !
  • Helmet: I wear the 12GBP discounted Stash folding helmet on top of the Berghaus cap. Perfect fit. More about this helmet here: http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/5103-grab-bargain-while-lasts-folding-helmet.html#post64585
  • Cycling shades (photo below): I've used a number of cheap sports glasses over the years, and I decided it was time for something more decent. I went for a pair of Endura with 4 different removable lenses (clear, orange, dark and polarized) It's still reasonably-priced though, at 30GBP for the whole set including its carrying padded box. It's not the best frames and lenses material, but it's hard to beat on value-for-money. They're so light I easily forget I'm wearing them, and the peripheral vision is awesome !
  • High-visibility jacket: well, I used to wear a cheap car-emergency one, but it's flimsy and a pain to use with its velcro fixings. I'm now using a horse-riding one, with a proper zip, small pocket (ideal for keys) and elastic waist band. At 8GBP it was very well priced too.
  • High-visibility rain covers: these ones are Brompton-branded (designed for the front luggage), but I actually use them for all sorts of things: on my rear panniers + rack-sack, on my back-pack, and on my handle-bars when the bike is parked, to protect the electrical equipment under heavy rainfall (it's not strictly needed, but I'd like to avoid unnecessary water ingress). At less than 7GBP a pop, it's a good price: it's made of solid material, the elastic band extends wide enough to ensure the cover is versatile.
  • High-visibility trouser band: just to keep the trouser flaps getting caught into the chainring. Cheapo stuff from eBay, velcro fastening.
  • Buffs: yeah, I keep a couple of these handy. Great neck or head protection when it gets too cold to stay cool. UPDATE: I have now purchased a 20 GBP Merino wool buff....I'm really, really impressed ! It's expensive but worth every penny. It's so light and thin, and yet so warm and strong. Amazing stuff.

Finally, a lot of my water-proof gear is designed to be neatly folded away, so I carry small plastic bags to avoid spilling water everywhere when I arrive at my destination. I sometimes also carry an extra pair of socks+shoes, just in case.

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Nice write up Daniel. Which bar ends do you have fitted and are they any good ?

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

Not as hi-tech as Daniel:)

I wear M&S climate control long thermal underwear approx £40

Then a few thin layers and a decent quality fleece

Regatta Action 2 Trousers. cheap and comfortable shower proof but not rain proof £12?

Regatta breathable (allegedly) waterproof. this is not bad, hood goes over helmet and only about £25

cheap lidl gloves under £5 but warm and comfortable. not sure how waterproof but have been caught out a few times and they have been OK

I just wear 2 pairs of normal socks and waterproof shoes, will get some waterproof socks eventually.

and a 2.99 builders Hi Vi from Ebay (under waterproof as I got caught out)

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
LOL @ Eddieo ... I think it's fair to say...cyclists usually look un-cool :rolleyes: , but I could probably win an award: midget-sized bicycle wheels, flashing LED lights, bright yellow stuff all around, silly old man's hat (sorry guys :p ), ridiculous helmet, and clothing layers like a north-pole expedition. :D

Cooool ! :cool:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Man I got my first real soaking tonight in about 3 months :D

It tipped it down.

No waterproof trousers or overshoes. I felt like I was swimming not riding lol

Regards

Jerry

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Daniel that bike looks great. It's a stunner. How can you take it out in all that awfull weather :eek:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Daniel that bike looks great. It's a stunner. How can you take it out in all that awfull weather
I must admit, it's a nice object to look at, especially folded (see photos below). However once unfolded, it's just a bike that loves to be ridden :D So far it's been a great companion in harsh weather, but I have to be very careful not catching on nasty potholes with the tiny 16" wheels. :eek:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Another essential addition to the winter kit: good brake pads. I already have KoolStop salmon dual compound at the front, and I'm super-impressed by the stopping power. I have ordered the same for the rear.

8.49 GBP delivered from here (same price at DotBike too):

Kool Stop Eagle 2 Dual Compound Brake Pads | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

UPDATE: I've got these pads all around now, what a difference it makes !!! Very good stopping power, and little fading. The rear rim is not very good though, compared to the better rim wall at the front. In other words the front brakes still feel stronger, and I use them a lot more than the rears.

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks Daniel! I ordered the smart rear flasher it was 20p more @ £3.00 are you on commission? lol:)

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
There was an extra 10% off until midnight, I only realized 5 minutes before the close of the discount period !! :eek: I registered quickly, and managed to place my order in time ! :D

This cheap light is probably not super-great, but it'll do as an extra on my seat post. They cost 5 GBP at Tesco and in most other places. At just under 3 GBP: bargain ;)

I take front lights a bit more "seriously" though, as it's easier to make yourself seen than to actually see where you're going (potholes and ice is my main worry). I'm considering investing between 50 and 100 GBP in a proper front rechargeable LED light, but I have yet to decide which one I will elect. :confused:

Advice welcome, as always.
Dan

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Thanks Daniel! I ordered the smart rear flasher it was 20p more @ £3.00 are you on commission? lol:)
Just received the rear LED blinker light, it cost 2.70 GBP actually :D (even less than I remembered) AAA Batteries included.

It shines well (3 red LEDs + reflector), and in its horizontal layout it's a good complement to my other vertical light (5 red LEDs + reflector). They're both attached on the seat post (under the saddle), they both use exactly the same mount, and they both have the same lighting/blinking sequence (3 modes).

Given that I also have my dynamo lights on (rear red LED on the low rack), I'd say that I'm pretty visible at the rear :)

Cheers, Dan

Thunder457

Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2009
Daniel,

Its very important to be visable at the rear(as you say)I really hope the ladies take note and follow your advice:D Now what about the front:eek:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009
Now what about the front:eek:
Yeah, my current kit is not great for night riding. I have a Petzel Tikka XP 1xLED head torch 3x AAA (blink or constant), a Smart Polaris 1xLED bike cycle light 2xAA (blink or constant), and a Maglite 1xLED flashlight 3x AA (constant).

EDIT: I forgot to mention the venerable incandescent dynamo-powered front light that came with the Brompton :)

I need something that spreads more light on the tarmac and the potholes...

Last edited:

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009

daniel.weck

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2009