I've been offered an old Powabyke, think it's one of the first models but it needs some TLC

Ned

Just Joined
Aug 14, 2016
UK
Hi everyone, nice to be here.

I have a few nice roadbikes and like to ride them to work but my commute has changed and I fancied giving an ebikewa go. I found an old model Powabyke with lead batteries for £35 locally which the owner says holds a good charge but needs a little bit of TLC.

Im wondering if anyone on here could identify it as the website doesn't have any information on older products. I'm looking for a twist and go but after doing some homework I think some of the old modw bikes are peddle assist.

My work operates a cycle to work scheme so if I get it running smoothly and enjoy the experience I recon I'll buy something a bit better.

I think I have a £1000 budget and was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for what's best for the money.

Thanks

Attachments

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Ouch, my eyes!

I'm sure they were OK in their day, but things have moved on a long, long way since then.

If you have nice road bikes I think you will find the powabyke to be heavy, cumbersome and clunky. By all means try it, but keep in mind that modern electric bikes are nothing like that.

Certainly don't spend any money on it.

For your budget the Carrera crossfire E looks like a good bet. Also consider Woosh and Kudos who are both very well regarded at the 1k price point.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
And in 30 years time, that old Powabyke, with a hidden modern battery will be a much admired 'Vintage' electric bike.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
And in 30 years time, that old Powabyke, with a hidden modern battery will be a much admired 'Vintage' electric bike.
It won't be admired by me I'm afraid.

It was the Powabyke that first got me into building electric bikes. I saw one and thought 'great idea, but why does it have to be so fugly?'.

• :D
Reactions: mw1

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
But, fashion changes, ugly will be beautiful one day.
About 1955, a neighbour showed me his old motor bikes. He had never sold one, just put it in the back of his garage. Over the years he had amassed 8-10 bikes, the early ones had pedals.
We just saw them as ugly old motor bikes, not worth bothering about.
When he died, his widow asked me to put them out for the rag and bone man, which I did.
Wonder what they would be worth today?

D

Deleted member 4366

It's a Powabyke Shopper. Apart from the weight, they're not bad for unfit people as basic transport. The motor is very strong, so hill-climbing is good. Even though the batteries hold charge, they're probably knackered. If you get replacements, make sure that they're proper high discharge rate electric vehicle ones.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
But, fashion changes, ugly will be beautiful one day.
About 1955, a neighbour showed me his old motor bikes. He had never sold one, just put it in the back of his garage. Over the years he had amassed 8-10 bikes, the early ones had pedals.
We just saw them as ugly old motor bikes, not worth bothering about.
When he died, his widow asked me to put them out for the rag and bone man, which I did.
Wonder what they would be worth today?
And that rag 'n bone man is now retired on the Costa Brava... :cool:

• :D
Reactions: mike killay

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'm guessing your commute got longer, the powabike may seem fun for 100 metres but riding a few miles on it will soon become tedious. Not worth the money you will spend getting it roadworthy.
I used to commute 40 miles a day on an electric bike and it was great but trying to do it on the cheap is a painful experience.