I've done it all wrong! Do I start again?

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Do you want to direct swop it for my 705eco Davanti? its a bit small for me:)
It really is most kind of you, shemozzle999, but I've been convinced to 'battle on' with the 905sel; at least for the time being. Apparently size isn't everything (it was in my youth!) In any event, I think I would prefer to have the extras that the 705eco doesn't appear to have.

Thanks anyway. :)

Don

Marny Hill

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 29, 2010
Hi Don

I feel for you! I have done exactly the same thing. Bought an amazing Wisper Alpino and then found it was too big for me but it had wonderful hill climbing ability and I got over 50 miles from the battery. I sold that and bought a Giant which fits like a dream but does not have either the hill climbing ability or the battery capactiy of the Wisper. Now thinking of either a Kalkoff (the new Impulse one) or one of the new Ezee bikes with perhaps two batteries. I am determined to have a proper trial with a bike before I spend another fortune! I also like the sound of the new Kudos step through but not sure of the battery capacity etc.

Will I ever learn............................

Marny

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Hi Don

I feel for you! I have done exactly the same thing. ... Will I ever learn............................

Marny
Hi Marny - Thanks for your input ... lots of food for thought in your post.

Battle On ... :D

Don

HD462

Pedelecer
Apr 23, 2012
Teesside, UK
........ I fell at the first hurdle; CLEARANCE ! I don't have sufficient 'clearance' to stand astride the bike with both feet on the ground. I've 'got away with it' so far by pushing off with one foot on the LH pedal and then swinging my leg over as the bike gains momentum. A few wobbles and then I'm away! To dismount is more tricky. When I brake, I lean over to the left to reach the ground with my left foot and then swing my right leg over.

It seems to me that my saddle needs to be higher (to give the correct 'reach' with my legs) and the 'crossbar' lower to give me clearance. Is a step-through the only answer?

Don
I'm quite small too, 5ft 5" and 29" inside leg, but my bikes fit me. The problem you have is that the frame is too big. You need a smaller frame so you have the clearance over the crossbar, and have the seat higher to give you the leg length so your leg is almost straight at the bottom of the pedal stroke. Bikes with a sloping top tube are more user friendly for that.

In normal bikes you usually get a good selection of frame sizes to get the best fit, but I've noticed a lot of bikes have a one size fits all type of frame. Some will fit better than others when you look at the frame design, one with a sloping, or curved top tube will suit a bigger range of people (just adjust the seat up or down), than a bike with a horizontal top tube.

The Fast4ward Peak I recently got it like this, the top tube sweeps down in a curve towards the back wheel, so it's quite a way from you. This gives a lot of adjustment of the seatpost height to suit a good range of riders. I find it fits just as good as my Univega, which has a small 17" frame for lots of crotch clearance, and a long seatpost to give the leg length.

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Thanks, Mark

I'm looking at 'top tube sweeps' ... lots more research to do ... all good stuff!

Cheers

Don

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
What I have done in the past is get a normal bike that fits and then convert to battery power or get the kit you want and get someone to fit it if thats not your cup of tea. Bigger choice in "normal" bikes too.
I am just abut to fit one again to a new bike I just bought.
regards
Fatts

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
I found the addition of suspension forks and a fat rear tyre brought the crossbar up to eye-watering height when I have to straddle it at lights, etc. Fortunately, one only tends to do it once.

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Fortunately, one only tends to do it once.
I'm not convinced that 'fortunately' is an apt choice of word, Dave! But it is some consolation to discover that I'm not alone in my vertically challenged world.

Battle On :)

Don

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
I can do it !!!

My few weeks of e-biking must have made me fitter!

I've now raised my seat post to the correct height ... and I can actually get my leg over! (Its been a long time!)

Have a good day .... !

Don :D

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Hi Davanti

Have you thought about an adjustable height seat post? Eg

Crank Brothers Joplin SMU Height Adjustable Seatpost with Remote Kit | Evans Cycles

There are several around - just choose the one with the lowest start point.

Another thought. The 905 sel is listed as having 26 * 1.75 tyres. If you swapped the front tyre for a skinnier one eg Schwalbe Durano 26 * 1.10, that would lower the seat by about a half an inch whilst leaving the seat to crank distance unaffected.

Best wishes

Andy

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
What I have done in the past is get a normal bike that fits and then convert to battery power or get the kit you want and get someone to fit it if thats not your cup of tea. Bigger choice in "normal" bikes too.
I am just abut to fit one again to a new bike I just bought.
regards
Fatts
Thanks for that, Fatts ... lots of thinking to do ...

Don

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Hi Davanti

Have you thought about an adjustable height seat post? Eg

Crank Brothers Joplin SMU Height Adjustable Seatpost with Remote Kit | Evans Cycles

There are several around - just choose the one with the lowest start point.

Another thought. The 905 sel is listed as having 26 * 1.75 tyres. If you swapped the front tyre for a skinnier one eg Schwalbe Durano 26 * 1.10, that would lower the seat by about a half an inch whilst leaving the seat to crank distance unaffected.

Best wishes

Andy
Hi Andy ... got the adjustable seat post but it was fully down! Interesting idea about the tyres ... thanks.

Don

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I am surprised you did not go for the step through version....

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
I am surprised you did not go for the step through version....
Hi Eddie ... Don't tell anybody, but ... I thought the step-through versions were ladies bikes ... anyway, the bells and whistles on the 905sel weren't all replicated on the step-through Wisper bikes ... AND I DIDN"T KNOW I WAS SO SMALL !!! :mad:

But it is OK ... I'm getting fitter so I can cope OK with the seat post raised! I've just got to start wearing my platform shoes so that I can reach the ground!:eek:

Battle On!

Don

AndyOfTheSouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2009
Hi Andy ... got the adjustable seat post but it was fully down! Interesting idea about the tyres ... thanks.

Don
Sorry, meant the back tyre, of course!!! Gulp!

Also, which adjustable seat post do you have?

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Should have got a step through........:confused::p

“Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.”

Ecclesiastes 1:2

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Hi Don

I feel for you! I have done exactly the same thing. Bought an amazing Wisper Alpino and then found it was too big for me but it had wonderful hill climbing ability and I got over 50 miles from the battery. I sold that and bought a Giant which fits like a dream but does not have either the hill climbing ability or the battery capactiy of the Wisper. Now thinking of either a Kalkoff (the new Impulse one) or one of the new Ezee bikes with perhaps two batteries. I am determined to have a proper trial with a bike before I spend another fortune! I also like the sound of the new Kudos step through but not sure of the battery capacity etc.

Will I ever learn............................

Marny
Marny,your post raises interesting points about how some of these bikes are achieving their hill climbing abilities and still achieve decent range and remain within the 250 watt limit of en15194. We experimented with increasing the controller amps on a test bike from 12 to 16 amps. The result was the motor was noisier,the range plummeted and the bike was clearly illegal,it burnt out the battery fuse holder and actually the bike was not pleasant to ride,everything just felt strained. It did go up hills but we would have had to increase the battery to 18 Ah to get any sensible range. With our choice of LifePo4 chemistry that would have made the battery just too heavy.
Since the above tests we have decided to stick with 12 Amp controller,10 Ah battery .Some of my customers report 40 plus miles and even with max assist 30 plus miles. For most people that seems the ideal setup and the bikes are still ok to ride without power.
Dave
Kudoscycles

pemsey1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 8, 2012
The thudbuster isn't strictly an adjustable seatpost with remote (also known as a "dropper" post) and much favoured by MTBers of the downhill variety!These give you 2-3 inches of "drop" from the normal peddling position -many have remote lever on the bars to operate them.The thudbuster is a suspension seatpost?

I'd suggest learning to do trackstands - then you don't need to put a foot down until actually getting off - maybe a "cyclocross dismount" would help there - hit the ground running!!

Hope you find a solution