I've just finished building my first trail ebike. (Pics)

handmadematt

Pedelecer
Hi chaps.
I live with off grid power, we have solar panels and a bank of batteries.
In the summer it's common that the bank is full and the panels are able to produce a surplus.
What to do with all this power!? I've disliked seeing it's untapped potential the last couple of years.
My answer... Build a ebike!

I already had a decent aluminium framed mountain bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath with front shocks and hydraulic disc brakes. As a prototype and entry point into the world of ebiking I wanted to keep my conversion as cheap as possible so I bought a Chinese kit from eBay and sourced some SLA batteries on the cheap. (Shock horror.) The idea is that once the SLA are dead if I am still captured and enthused by my new machine then I will know it's worth spending the capital on some form of lithium battery. (Any idea how many real world battery cycles I'll get out of my SLA's? I am diligent about keeping them topped up and avoiding regular deep discharge. Being into off grid solar I am familiar with caring for and using SLA in my daily life.)

It uses a 500 watt rear hub motor with 36v 12ah of lead acid batteries. On the third charge cycle it covered 24 miles, me assisting with very gentle pedaling. (On private land of course.) It has a top unassisted speed of around 20 mph on the flat. I expect the battery capacity to settle in a little lower after a few more charge cycles, would I be correct? She weighs 30kg at the moment.

Here she is:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike63
D

Deleted member 4366

It looks good. You don't notice the weight so much when it's in the middle.
Is that bolt under the axle for a trailer?

One thing I noticed, which is a classic noob error, is that you have the wire from the motor going upwards. It should go downwards if you don't want the motor to fill up with water.

handmadematt

Pedelecer
Thanks guys.
The bolt is for a trailer which she pulls reasonably well, although I've not tried that on any serious hills.
The aluminium plate that the trailer bolt is fixed to doubles as a form of torque arm. It is shaped around the flats of the axle and also screws into the frame with those two machine screws.

I realised yesterday that the motor cable was wrong. Thanks for pointing it out though. I fixed it this morning with a drip loop.

handmadematt

Pedelecer
UPDATE.
I have now covered over 200 miles on the electric bike. Almost all of this has been solar powered, charged by the panels on my campervan roof. What an amazing feeling this is. The bulk of this distance was in Scotland which isn't exactly flat either. Mountain passes become a breeze when you have the power of the sun between your legs!

Reactions: TinKitten