I've lost the thread

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Battery versus Battery

I've read somewhere on this forum about some of the different characteristics of Li batteries, especially on hills, so that's one possibility. If I find the thread, I'll link to it from here.

Yes please.

Since Jim at 50cycles is dealing with this, I wouldn't like to suggest anything which might interfere, but to me common sense would dictate to firstly check if both your Li batteries are performing similarly and also to make sure its not a poor battery connection in the Chopper.

I cleaned the Battery contacts, on the bikes and on the batteries on our return from a somewhat damp ride with Methylated Spirits.
Jim has telephoned Ezee in China but his contact could not provide a diagnosis
He has asked me to send the Chopper battery to him for testing but that is difficult because the Post Office/Parcelforce will not accept batteries for carriage.

Here is a quote from Parcel Force Conditions of Carriage

General prohibitions and restrictions.
Some things we can't deliver:
Parcelforce Worldwide complies with strict transport regulations. We will not carry certain goods and substances. Please check our guidelines on prohibited goods before you arrange dispatch
Class Eight: Corrosives: Substances which can cause severe damage by chemical action to living tissue, other freight, or the means of transport. All corrosive substances are prohibited. Examples: Aluminium Chloride; Caustic Soda; Corrosive Cleaning Fluid; Corrosive Rust Remover/ Preventative; Corrosive Paint Remover;
Electric Storage Batteries; Hydrochloric Acid; Nitric Acid; Sulphuric Acid, etc

Maybe charge both batteries & check voltage of each when fully charged, meanwhile ensure battery contacts are dry & clean in both bikes (tips aplenty from Flecc).

I fully charged the batteries on return from the tests. I checked the Voltage output of each. The Chopper battery showed 40 Volts and the Torq battery showed 42 volts. I will clean battery contacts, both on the bikes and on the batteries before I make the next tests

If you suspect one battery performs poorer than the other, try the better one in chopper in particular, to see if that improves performance.

This was my intention: by the time I had finished those first tests I was bushed (partly nervous exhaustion). The weather then changed for the worse. I am awaiting better weather: hopefully the weather for the next tests will be much the same as for the first tests.

Hope that helps Pete :

Everything helps when one's batting in the dark!

Peter