Jeremy Clarkson Suspended

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Having previously dipped in on odd occasions, "Top Gear" definitely wasn't for me. However, I was perfectly happy for it to be on since I'm all for free expression and dislike today's PC attitudes.

But there are a very few things that merit an employee's instant dismissal. They include violent assault or extreme bullying of a fellow employee or working place colleague. Most of us have to work for much of our life and no-one should ever have to go to work fearful of the possibility of these actions.

Since Clarkson was guilty of both, and he was already on a final warning, termination was the only possible outcome and I fully support that result. The clear message has to be sent, such actions are always under any circumstances totally unacceptable.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I have to disagree trex, it is the public who have made Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond popular. The BBC have provided the platform, but ultimately the way these three behave and their opinions are popular with the public. That is an indisputable fact when you compare their TV rating with those of other TV personalities who enjoy similar exposure. The public like what they do and what they say.

Top Gear was a pantomime consisting of faked races and farcical happening, all of which had been carefully planned and choreographed. It also had very little to do with motoring, every knows that, but it was immensely popular and it was what people wanted to see and hear, the ratings and revenue generated prove this.

If JC did assault the producer in the way that it has been presented to us, then he had to go. I agree with the decision. Having said that, a few things leave me feeling slightly uneasy:

1) We have only heard one side of the story.

2) The BBC are politically biased to the left and Clarkson does not fit in with that.

3) I do not fully trust the BBC and they have a track record of hiding facts.

4) Why did the producer go to A&E with a fat lip? You simply don't go to hospital with such an injury, which makes me wonder what his motive was. Maybe nothing, or maybe he was trying to escalate the incident for other reasons.

And selrahc1992 please stop trying to suggest that there is some correlation between Jeremy Clarkson and racism, apartheid, concentration camps and pedophilia (reference to Rolf Harris). There isn't. Got it? Good.
Really the idea that the Beeb is politically biased to the left is risible. You mean well known lefties like Andrew Brillo Pad Neil? Or Red Nick Robinson the BBC political editor? The only one who seemed a bit left of centre in recent years was Newsnight’s Paul Mason and he’s gone to Channel Four.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
they said JC is one of the BBC 'huge talents'. They said the same about Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand when they run into similar pickle for behaving badly.
so what are we? a bunch of saddos that lament the loss of some BBC talents? people say that TV is 'cultture' - I don't care much for that sort, do you?

Reactions: mike killay
D

Deleted member 4366

Jonathan Ross wasn't popular with anybody was he - other than the blown out celebrities that he promoted? To be honest, I thought Top Gear went down a bit when they started promoting celebrities.

Reactions: mike killay

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
OK. I was brought up in an era when teachers whacked the kids when they answered back and we were taught to read with "Little Black Sambo" and we used to collect the golliwog s on the Robinson's jam jars. I guess I'll have to start singing "Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep" with the rest of you.

Can we start a petition to bring back Tom and Jerry? No? I guess it's not funny for the cat when he cat ends up cut into segments by power wires. Oh well, Bah bah rainbow sheep, have you any wool? Yes sir............
they said JC is one of the BBC 'huge talents'. They said the same about Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand when they run into similar pickle for behaving badly.
so what are we? a bunch of saddos that lament the loss of some BBC talents? people say that TV is 'cultture' - I don't care much for that sort, do you?
Its that its all so manufactured, for ratings and nothing else, it begins to feel like Huxley's brave new world

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Woss was on the wadio this afternoon standing in for Steve Wight. Brand keeps popping up on Question Time. I thought they'd both been sacked by the BBC.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Woss has his own show on BBC now doesn't he?
I never watch it, but I think his chat show is on ITV. Not sure if he has a regular slot on the Beeb.

Just watching Paxo tearing into Ed Millibamd. I'm actually feeling sorry for poor old Ed.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I'm old enough to remember a time when the BBC gave the impression of reporting news and current affairs in a disinterested manner, the way I think it should. Now that I'm older, though not necessarily wiser, I'm not sure that that was ever the case in reality as their presentation may well have been simply imbued with well-crafted verisimilitude.

Of this I am sure though: The whole organisation is now thoroughly rotten to the core and requires a top-to-bottom overhaul. Only when the tory-Jewish mafia and the sexual deviants are removed, might we once again see a British organisation that both we and the rest of the world can respect .

As for Clarkson, like many celebs, his limited talents appeal to the baser instincts and he began to believe he was almost god-like and untouchable. While I occasionally chuckled at his juvenile antics on TG, it became increasingly clear that he needed to be reined in. The decision to terminate his contract, or however it may be described, was correct.

I'm afraid the Beeb has become just as fabulous a gravy train as the HoC and its economic & political commentators are simply an outlet for those tories who couldn't make it in electoral politics.

Increasingly, the BBC can be identified as the propaganda arm of the tory party and that needs to change.

Tom

Reactions: tillson
D

Deleted member 4366

Of this I am sure though: The whole organisation is now thoroughly rotten to the core and requires a top-to-bottom overhaul. Only when the tory-Jewish mafia and the sexual deviants are removed, might we once again see a British organisation that both we and the rest of the world can respect .
Yes, it seems to have been infiltrated by homosexuals. There seems to be a disproportionate number of them in any of their productions. I think Ricky Gervais made some tongue in cheek references to it in his series Extras. He would make a good replacement for Clarkson.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Yes, it seems to have been infiltrated by homosexuals. There seems to be a disproportionate number of them in any of their productions. I think Ricky Gervais made some tongue in cheek references to it in his series Extras. He would make a good replacement for Clarkson.
I don't care much for him either, good choice.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
this forum sure lives up to the cliche that fact can be stranger than fiction, who'd have thought a bunch of electric bicycle owners could be so reactionary (from this thread alone i'd have sworn this was the hardcore wing of the "suzuki jimny we greenlane where we want to, yes we do" forum) or traditional (we are embracing a newish technology). It's a good thing it isnt a focus group for the tories otherwise their policies would be more nutty.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Didn’t the first JC say you should turn the other cheek?

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Yes, but I wouldn't let my cheeks be shown anywhere near the BBC or I'd probably be looking for a new saddle.
from in yer face homophobia to rather moving homoerotica in three short tet-at-tets. This thread is beginning to trump a good fellini movie with its nuances

Reactions: Blew it

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
from in yer face homophobia to rather moving homoerotica in three short tet-at-tets. This thread is beginning to trump a good fellini movie with its nuances
er, apologies if i got that wrong, i thought saddle might be analogous for a new boyfriend, and cheeks, well, er, were all familiar with double entendres..

Reactions: Blew it

Advertisers