Jeremy Clarkson Suspended

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
I must be jealous with a whole bag of chips.
I think he's a king Canute. A real grade A one.
But then I do think outside the box ( possibly off the wall too)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The BBC have just announced at 4pm today 25/3/15 that Jeremy Clarkson's contract will not be renewed so he will not appear on new Top Gear programs.

It seems from the statement that Clarkson really did go much too far to be forgiven. The police are asking the BBC for their report from the inquiry into his offence.

Last edited:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Yes, it was worse than most imagined. You can’t have people beating employees up and having to be pulled off them and not fire them. It doesn’t matter who they are or how much money they bring in.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
The BBC have just announced at 4pm today 25/3/15 that Jeremy Clarkson's contract will not be renewed so he will not appear on Top Gear again.

It seems from the statement that Clarkson really did go much too far to be forgiven. The police are asking the BBC for their report from the inquiry into his offence.
as an odd aside, i found James May's reaction most dissapointing (trying to justify what Clarkson did), i really liked May and his documentaries

Reactions: 4bound and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
as an odd aside, i found James May's reaction most dissapointing (trying to justify what Clarkson did), i really liked May and his documentaries
I agree, it was ill judged, though perhaps there was an element of loyalty to a long term colleague since I think May is essentially a very decent person.

Reactions: selrahc1992

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Let us hope that they don't turn this into a catastrophe by employing a ginger to replace him. Some sources are saying that this is a possibility.

The BBC should scrap Top Gear now.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Allegedly, ITV shares are rising.
But I think those promoting that trend could be mistaken. Advertisers are very sensitive to certain matters, so not everyone rejected from the BBC is what they want.

I think ITV companies would think long and hard before taking on Clarkson, given how easily his comments can offend some, and everyone is a consumer.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
With his money he may set up his own production company and sell to the highest bidder.
Despite all his detractors, he is immensely popular.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
With his money he may set up his own production company and sell to the highest bidder.
Despite all his detractors, he is immensely popular.
it's the BBC that made the three clowns immensely popular.
And don't forget the work put in by the production team.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well, the BBC have stood firm on this one and shown that they will not tolerate violence whatever the importance/popularity of the offender. The BBC will no doubt lose heavily in a financial sense but gain the moral high ground.
Clarkson is not some young overpaid footballer who can simply be heavily fined and back to work.
He has promoted laddishness but gone a step too far.
No-one can foretell the future, but I suspect that a lot of his fans will not want to be associated with someone who is now Super-yob.
The Police have apparently asked for the file. Who knows what will happen.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
in many ways what i found most objectionable was the degree to which it was carefully crafted - the image of "three lads" appealing to the lowest common denominator in viewers (in terms of "humour" as much as anything else)

D

Deleted member 4366

in many ways what i found most objectionable was the degree to which it was carefully crafted - the image of "three lads" appealing to the lowest common denominator in viewers (in terms of "humour" as much as anything else)
You're taking it too seriously. It's a form of escapism, where the three guys are doing and getting away with what a lot of people would like to do. Think about Tom and Jerry, who unfortunately also got banned for being too violent on the TV.

Reactions: tillson

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
You're taking it too seriously. It's a form of escapism, where the three guys are doing and getting away with what a lot of people would like to do. Think about Tom and Jerry, who unfortunately also got banned for being too violent on the TV.

it's very healthy, i think, that you took it that unseriously. Clarkson evidently doesnt take hismelf so unseriously (nor his chum cameron who described him as a "serious talent"). we live in a country and eu where populist right wing rhetoric are escalating and there's w orld difference to me between clarkson's deliberate increasing use of rascism and whatever tom and jerry got up to.

Reactions: billadie

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014

however, how about replacing him with neil AND christine hamilton from UKIP, and giving them free range to spew anything they want?

D

Deleted member 4366

OK. I was brought up in an era when teachers whacked the kids when they answered back and we were taught to read with "Little Black Sambo" and we used to collect the golliwog s on the Robinson's jam jars. I guess I'll have to start singing "Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep" with the rest of you.

Can we start a petition to bring back Tom and Jerry? No? I guess it's not funny for the cat when he cat ends up cut into segments by power wires. Oh well, Bah bah rainbow sheep, have you any wool? Yes sir............

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

I have to disagree trex, it is the public who have made Jeremy Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond popular. The BBC have provided the platform, but ultimately the way these three behave and their opinions are popular with the public. That is an indisputable fact when you compare their TV rating with those of other TV personalities who enjoy similar exposure. The public like what they do and what they say.

Top Gear was a pantomime consisting of faked races and farcical happening, all of which had been carefully planned and choreographed. It also had very little to do with motoring, every knows that, but it was immensely popular and it was what people wanted to see and hear, the ratings and revenue generated prove this.

If JC did assault the producer in the way that it has been presented to us, then he had to go. I agree with the decision. Having said that, a few things leave me feeling slightly uneasy:

1) We have only heard one side of the story.

2) The BBC are politically biased to the left and Clarkson does not fit in with that.

3) I do not fully trust the BBC and they have a track record of hiding facts.

4) Why did the producer go to A&E with a fat lip? You simply don't go to hospital with such an injury, which makes me wonder what his motive was. Maybe nothing, or maybe he was trying to escalate the incident for other reasons.

And selrahc1992 please stop trying to suggest that there is some correlation between Jeremy Clarkson and racism, apartheid, concentration camps and pedophilia (reference to Rolf Harris). There isn't. Got it? Good.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
OK. I was brought up in an era when teachers whacked the kids when they answered back and we were taught to read with "Little Black Sambo" and we used to collect the golliwog s on the Robinson's jam jars. I guess I'll have to start singing "Bah Bah Rainbow Sheep" with the rest of you.

Can we start a petition to bring back Tom and Jerry? No? Oh well, Bah bah rainbow sheep, have you any wool? Yes sir............[/quote

this isnt about political correctness - it's about ethics. ethics is very simple - its about treating others the way one wants to be treated. If the producer hit clarkson he would have been fired, immediately. It's a lot easier to find racist language acceptable if one may has not been on the receiving end of actual discrimination (which is a reality, in contemporary uk).

Advertisers