Join the queue

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Why would it be too good to be true ?
Its just a discount..... Rutland were recently doing this bike even cheaper at £1,199.

I'd like to see more Ebikes discounted..... Just like unassisted bikes often are.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
Why would it be too good to be true ?
Its just a discount..... Rutland were recently doing this bike even cheaper at £1,199.

I'd like to see more Ebikes discounted..... Just like unassisted bikes often are.
the problem with eBikes is there is more demand than there is supply, so you won't find many discounted until the brands can start making enough to over supply.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
the problem with eBikes is there is more demand than there is supply, so you won't find many discounted until the brands can start making enough to over supply.
I put Ebikes in the same category as cars, motorcycles and push bikes..... i wouldn't pay RRP for any of them.
If i dont get a discount, i wont buy em.

Reactions: oldtom
I put Ebikes in the same category as cars, motorcycles and push bikes..... i wouldn't pay RRP for any of them.
If i dont get a discount, i wont buy em.
ok... but you'll find there are somethings that are priced to allow a discount, so the discount isn't real ;) and others that hold their value, so when you sell it its worth more, etc etc. you won't find many decent eBikes discounted because there is no need to discount them. Supply / demand is different to the other mature industries you've mentioned.

v8DaveP

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 31, 2016
hertfordshire
Not sure that's entirely true as there are many deals to had on 2016 models since the 2017 ones are released.
I have just taken advantage of such a deal, these are on haibike, cube etc so these are good manufacturers.

Tigergreen

Aug 25, 2016
Plymouth
Not sure that's entirely true as there are many deals to had on 2016 models since the 2017 ones are released.
I have just taken advantage of such a deal, these are on haibike, cube etc so these are good manufacturers.
You can indeed. I Picked up my brand new Haibike XDuro Hardseven RC today from my local dealer (2016 model) and got a hefty £600 discount off the £2600 RRP (which, obviously, I was very happy with)
Regards,
Andy.

You can indeed. I Picked up my brand new Haibike XDuro Hardseven RC today from my local dealer (2016 model) and got a hefty £600 discount off the £2600 RRP (which, obviously, I was very happy with)
Regards,
Andy.
which was my point...

"you'll find there are somethings that are priced to allow a discount, so the discount isn't real."

Some brands promise their dealers a bigger margin, but allow them to discount. So its not that you got a bargain, its that some people paid over the odds I suspect ;) or probably a bit of both to be fair.

v8DaveP

Jul 31, 2016
hertfordshire
I would possibly agree with the haibike but not with the £1200 less than retail I paid for the cube and I did check the spec of the 2017 model and the only difference was the decals.
I think it's more to do with last years model being very difficult to sell at retail ( like cars). There are some still trying to sell "new" 2015 models but they look hard to give away.... I think some retailers bit the bullet at the end of the year and get what they can before the value drops more.

Just my personal observations on it of course.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Dog George

Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2016
Rock, Cornwall
I'm not sure what these dealers are up to? I've rang a few that advertise discounted Ebikes, only to find they do not have them in stock & cannot source them but they keep advertising! I've visited Freeborn in Horsham & they don't have any models in stock but keep offering discount prices on their website??

• Agree
Reactions: chris130256

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I'm not sure what these dealers are up to? I've rang a few that advertise discounted Ebikes, only to find they do not have them in stock & cannot source them but they keep advertising! I've visited Freeborn in Horsham & they don't have any models in stock but keep offering discount prices on their website??
It is called "marketing". Get the customer in the shop with a potential discount offer and sell her something else full price. Old as the first publicity flyers handed out on the street corner.

Tigergreen

Aug 25, 2016
Plymouth
which was my point...

"you'll find there are somethings that are priced to allow a discount, so the discount isn't real."

Some brands promise their dealers a bigger margin, but allow them to discount. So its not that you got a bargain, its that some people paid over the odds I suspect ;) or probably a bit of both to be fair.
I understand what you are saying (the £600 discount merely brought the bike into the same price bracket as other similar specced bikes (such as the KTM Macina Force 27 10 Cx4, for example.)
However, I think the bigger picture has to be regarded when considering an e-bike purchase:
There are few e-bike stockists in Plymouth and especially of e-mountain bikes in particular (e.g think the nearest KTM dealer is some 25 miles away.)
As I wanted to be able to physically test any bike to make sure it was suitable and not risk £2K on a 'blind' purchase on-line - only to possibly find a bike wasn't then what I expected upon delivery, then I had a limited options.
As it was, the dealer I chose is very local to me, was very patient and certainly not pushy at all. He has a very good selection of different types and make of e-bike and I was able to spend a few hours road testing several of them to help make an informed decision on my final choice of bike.
And my final choice was between the Yamaha powered Sduro hardseven and it's cousin the Bosch powered XDuro. I was going to go for the Sduro as there was little to choose between them on the road but at £1895 it was £705 cheaper than the Xduro.
I wasn't offered any discount on the Sduro as he could sell them almost as quickly as he can get them in. However, no doubt due to the large price difference,the XDuro wasn't proving as popular - hence the substantial discount offer.
So for a final price only £105 dearer than the Sduro, I've got a higher specced bike with the larger 500wh battery.
I guess what I'm really trying to say is that although I may not have necessarily ended up with a bargain, I believe I have ended up with a purchase of very good value in that I have been able to buy at a price not matched anywhere else for my particular bike and from a dealer who is not only very local (less than 2 miles from my house) but with whom the whole buying experience was very pleasurable. Also, as he is Bosch registered/trained, I trust him to be able to offer a good after-sales service when it comes to servicing/software updates etc.
Anyway, as an aside, I certainly believe that daveV8 has got a bargain with the price he paid for the Cube, considering its spec compared to other bikes for a similar price.

Andy.

which was my point...

Last edited:

v8DaveP

Jul 31, 2016
hertfordshire
I actually was intending to buy a haibike all mountain Rc that the dealer had discounted also, but ended up buying the cube Stereo hybrid 140 hpa race with a set of nukeproof pedels thrown in.
I am loving the cube.. its totally different to my other ebike (BH 27.5 hardtail) just really smooth and comfortable, just what i need at my age (58) to help me get fitter and loose weight.

I'm sure you will like the haibike too, the ones i rode felt good quality ...

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
That Cube bike looks strangely cheap,has anyone been able to buy one at that price?
Having said that,there are bike suppliers who could do with moving some stock,this throws up short term bargains....Halfords Crossfire E was a steal at £799.00 and this Cube looks a similar deal....I am sure there will be others during the Autumn,get in quick they won't hang around long.
KudosDave