Help! Jorvick 24 trike / throttle

lozedge

Just Joined
May 5, 2024
Hi i,m a cancer patient with heart problem and diabetes just bought a jorvick jet 24 .
Problem is with my health limitations i need to upgrade it from ped assist to 15 mph throttle control .
The plug and play controller is situated at the base of the battery mount.
Is there a straight forward plug on replacement controller available that will solve the problem ,
I dont want to butcher the harness if that is avoidable,
Any suggestions would be appreciated on a cost effective solution ,
I,v tried emailing customer services at jorvick but it just comes up with a recapcha fault .
I know they do a 500 watt off road motor and controller upgrade which gives throttle control so wonder if they could supply a controller only to suit.i,m assuming my front hub is a bafang 250 .
I dont suppose there is any means to do any internal shunt in the controller as it looks to be a sealed unit.
Any ideas or suggestions would make my life easier ,and yes i,m aware of the laws on throttle bikes, regards john

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
We will need to some clear pics of the controller wiring to see what you have got.

Adwb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 2, 2022
Ok, first I must point out that what you want to achieve under current U.K. laws illegal, having said that it is achievable.
I am also unsure which model you have by your description Jet24?
I assume you have a basic C961 display unit?
As far as I know as supplied it is paired with a Lishui controller found below the seat post in a box with a cover on the side with 4 capscrews .
Unfortunately this brand is programmed to the retailers (Jorvic) specific parameters and cannot be adjusted.
However if the controller is located where I suggest it should be if you remove the cover and rubber gasket you should see 2 sets of thin wires.
One set go to the rear light/brake light .
The other should be a white or white to black with a joiner. Disconnect that and you will have full hand throttle with the PAS set to any level (1 and above)
please try that first and let me know how you get on?

Last edited:

lozedge

Just Joined
May 5, 2024
Ok, first I must point out that what you want to achieve under current U.K. laws illegal, having said that it is achievable.
As far as I know as supplied it is paired with a Lishui controller found below the seat post in a box with a cover on the side with 4 capscrews .
Unfortunately this brand is programmed to the retailers (Jorvic) specific parameters and cannot be adjusted.
However if the controller is located where I suggest it should be if you remove the cover and rubber gasket you should see 2 sets of thin wires.
The other should be a white or white to black with a joiner. Disconnect that and you will have full hand throttle with the PAS set to any level (1 and above)
I,l check that out i do know the controller is located on the seat post directly below the battery so fingers crossed your suggestion may help solve my problem,
Thankyou

lozedge

Just Joined
May 5, 2024
Hi popped the controller off appears to be a sealed unit however there are three fine wires visible see pic
A black a yellow and an off
white ,
Enough room on the white but no conecter so i clipped it , (enough to resolder as a precaution)
Connected battery no change throttle still restricted to 4 mph,
But it was worth a try given that by coincidence the three wires you mentioned were present.
And accessable.so its obviously a later model controller that probably cant be altered.
Also by coincidence the pedlec sensor and thum throttle have the same 3 pin connectors
Popped the thumb throttle off the bars connected it to the pedlec but obviously it works on a different signal protocol from the linear throttle .
Just have to see if i can source a European controller
For it ,

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If you have a normal pedal sensor, you can spoof it with a pulse generator operated by a push button. This thing can be wired directly to the pedal sensor connector. Take a loop off the 5v to the handlebar switch. Set it to pulse frequency of about 600-1000 hz, and try 10% for the duty cycle.
Signal generator PWM pulse frequency duty cycle adjustable module lcd | eBay

When you press the button, it'll make the same signal as a pedal sensor, so should make the motor go.

Adwb

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 2, 2022
Hi popped the controller off appears to be a sealed unit however there are three fine wires visible see pic
A black a yellow and an off
white ,
Enough room on the white but no conecter so i clipped it , (enough to resolder as a precaution)
Connected battery no change throttle still restricted to 4 mph,
But it was worth a try given that by coincidence the three wires you mentioned were present.
Yes that’s not located where I described unfortunately, now I know what you have. I don’t think you can bypass that type hence my description of the location, two images below might help but I doubt it.
My understanding is that with that controller set up you will have to change the controller and display unit, might well be achievable you will need all the details off your controller and search for a alternative.
there are U.K. based importers who might be able to assist with that? Also seems odd that cutting that wire had no apparent effect it won’t be there for the fun of it?

Attachments

Last edited: