Joycube JCEB360 Battery problems

juhuri

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 4, 2010
Turku, Finland
Hi,

since last week my wifes Monark M273 bikes battery wouldn't charge.
Otherwise the battery still works. Battery model JCEB360-8.8 Joycube DC36.0V 8.8Ah 316.8Wh. With "Smart-BMS Battery" sticker.

It's not a charger problem as I tested the charger with new battery (bought new battery, more on that later..)

So I opened the battery and saw corrosion inside, this is when I ordered a new battery from ebay.
I thought that a battery with the same model would work, but apparently there is something more to this.
When turning the bike power on with new battery the led display flashes on #3 and next on #2. No idea what this means. Some kind of error code.
So I'm guessing the new battery is not compatible with something.. controller?

I haven't opened the new battery yet so I don't have pictures of it's internals.

I would ask for forums expert opinions on what to do next.

I guess my options are:
1) try to get the parts that have corrosion replaced on the original battery and hope it would fix the charging problems
2) buy a new controller that is compatible with the new battery. No idea how to find one
3) transfer BMS from old battery to new?

Motor: Bafang 8fun 250w
Led display: SWXK S27309150201 (2015-01)
Controller: LSW93 6-8, C87050 17-04-28B2, 37v, max 12A, Rated 6A, Low voltage protection 31V
Battery: JCEB360-8.8 Joycube DC36.0V 8.8Ah 316.8Wh. With "Smart-BMS Battery" sticker (new battery the same, but without BMS sticker)

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Battery: JCEB360-8.8 Joycube DC36.0V 8.8Ah 316.8Wh. With "Smart-BMS Battery" sticker (new battery the same, but without BMS sticker)
Joycube are made by Phylion. It's not clear which of Phylions rack battery models you have because they all look quite similar (to me), but they ALL come with either a Standard BMS or a Smart BMS. The Smart BMS version usually costs a bit more.

The Standard BMS battery generally doesn't have the four central output pins connected (it only provides +v/-v on the two outer pins) whereas the Smart has all 6 output pins connected to provide comms too. It may be that your original battery is Smart, and the replacement battery isn't. You can see if the center 4-pins on the replacement battery output has metal contacts or not.

See here: http://www.phylion.com/index.php?g=portal&m=list&a=index&id=22#page0

Last edited:

juhuri

Apr 4, 2010
Turku, Finland
Thank you for clarifying that. Indeed I have ordered the wrong type of battery, with "standard bms".

I was able to find a shop manual for the bike (in Swedish),
so I can find the correct battery from there. Just looks like all the Smart BMS batteries for this bike cost a lot.. 450€+ while the battery without smart bms was only 150€.

I'll try to clean up some corrosion from the old battery later today. Hopefully not blowing up the whole building.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
I was able to find a shop manual for the bike (in Swedish),
so I can find the correct battery from there. Just looks like all the Smart BMS batteries for this bike cost a lot.. 450€+ while the battery without smart bms was only 150€.
That looks a really useful trouble-shooting manual for your bike (if only I could read Swedish!).

I think your replacement battery may seem cheaper as much because it's only 8.8Ah - not that common anymore as most people look for higher capacity. Whichever Phylion rack battery yours is (I'm guessing Wall-E or SF-03 most likely), you'd have much more luck finding a replacement by those Phylion names rather than the plate reference. Genuine Phylion Wall-E and SF-03 rack batteries are used by dozens of manufacturers on hundreds of e-bike models - especially throughout Europe (where Phylion claim to be the second biggest supplier of e-bike batteries). I've seen genuine Phylion higher capacity versions with Smart BMS before for 300/350 Euros (inc shipping to the UK), especially from around Eastern Europe.

Good luck cleaning up your old battery!

Reactions: p tobin

juhuri

Apr 4, 2010
Turku, Finland
I hate it when people don't post updates :) So here we go, even if the original post is ancient.

Transferring BMS from the old battery to the new one worked well. And the bike performed well until I sold it in 2021