Juicy bike Rural or Volt Metro (folding)

dudave

Just Joined
May 30, 2013
I'v been searching the net these past days for an E-bike, never had one, at the moment have an electric mopet but i'm moving to the UK soon and will switch to an E-bike instead.

i'm really open to other sugestions, but two bikes really cauhgt my eyes:
Volt Metro and Juicy Bike Urban
both of them folding, light and midle priced, i am looking for some advise on them, some pros and cons maybe, both of them seem of decent quality, the Volt claims to make a large distance for the battery (40+ miles on a 36v 10mah battery) wile the juicy seem to make less than that (25-30 miles), both have the option for a larger battery which is always nice.
the Juicy is cheaper (about 150-200 pounds) other than that they seem close to similar.

i'm a big guy so it might also play a part in the decision (1.90 m/ 6"3 ft, 88kg/190lb)

Thanks

David

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

Don't take any notice of the range that sellers quote. You can compare bikes much more easily by looking at the size of the battery in watt-hours. Watt-hours = volts x amp-hours (approx) WH = V x aH. The more WH you have, the further you'll go for the same effort. It's as simple as that.

If it's a choice between the two, get the Juicy for no other reason that you'll be buying it from really nice people in a small family business. The Rural must be a new model. I've not heard of it before, neither is it on their website unless I'm pretending to be a thicko again.

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
I can recommend Juicy for the same reason as d8ve does.....really well run shop, who deal with any problems very quickly...

a good choice

cheers barrycoll

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
I am humbled! Thank you for your kind comments.

Dave, whereabouts are you?
You should definitely have a test ride of any bike you are thinking of buying.

Of course you would be more than welcome to come to either of our own shops but you can also find our network of dealers via the Juicy Bike website "Can I Try" section. We also have bikes to hire on the Tissington Trail in Derbyshire.

dudave

Just Joined
May 30, 2013
i'll be moving to the suffolk/norfolk area, i see that unfortunately the closest would be London?

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
I can recommend Juicy for the same reason as d8ve does.....really well run shop, who deal with any problems very quickly...

a good choice

cheers barrycoll
I have to agree! The staff seem to have a 'can do' attitude which is so refreshing in this day & age. Our Juicy bikes are about three years old now and have proved most reliable. Happy ebiking - ride as many as you can before you buy!
Tom

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
i'll be moving to the suffolk/norfolk area, i see that unfortunately the closest would be London?
Actually the Battersea dealer has no stock and your nearest may well be Leicester. Not ideal, but we are hoping to secure a new dealer based much nearer to your new home, and another in SE London.

We are careful who we supply and are building our dealer network slowly, to preserve our reputation.
Hope you understand.

If it helps, if you are not happy for any reason, we allow 14 days for a return, for any reason (which may be cheaper for you than travelling to your nearest dealer).

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We are based in Norfolk and deliver to anywhere in Norfolk or Suffolk (personally) for free. You are welcome to pop in and see us we have several makes of folding bike including Wisper, FreeGo, Solex and Viking. Unforunately we do not stock Juicy Bike or Volt though. Good luck with the search!

Pete Telford

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 18, 2011
Telford, Shropshire
Cant comment on the others but I have been a happy Juicy Urban user for two years now. Shop service is good. Only critiscism I have on the Urban is the top gear is a bit low - have just purchased a bigger main gear from Juicy to try and will report in due course. Otherwise its a tough bike and very pleased.

hopper_rider

Pedelecer
Aug 22, 2012
I havent ridden either of the bikes that you have suggested buying. I did however try out the Dahon Bullet folder at Redbridge and thought it was a really nice smooth ride.

Dahon of course are well known for folding bikes so its probably a winner in that respect as well

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Cant comment on the others but I have been a happy Juicy Urban user for two years now. Shop service is good. Only critiscism I have on the Urban is the top gear is a bit low - have just purchased a bigger main gear from Juicy to try and will report in due course. Otherwise its a tough bike and very pleased.
Thanks Pete.
All the latest Urbans have the large front chain wheel now and range reported by riders is now much better. We still state 24 miles in medium assist on the 10ah battery so most customers' expectations are exceeded. 12, 14 and 16ah versions are available. All colours are in stock.