Juicy Classic

holliday86

Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2013
Hi everyone,

I finally got my juicy classic through the cycle to work scheme last Thursday.

As soon as the certificate was paid for by work juicy bikes had it with me the next day!!

I have been riding it every day since then just for 5 miles a time just building myself up and I've got a question about the battery indicators.

The one on the handlebars has always stayed with all 4 lights lit but the lights on the battery (when you press the button) went down to just the one red light. I'm really confused what they mean and which one I should go off as the remaining range/charge amount.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give :)

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Hi everyone,

I finally got my juicy classic through the cycle to work scheme last Thursday.

As soon as the certificate was paid for by work juicy bikes had it with me the next day!!

I have been riding it every day since then just for 5 miles a time just building myself up and I've got a question about the battery indicators.

The one on the handlebars has always stayed with all 4 lights lit but the lights on the battery (when you press the button) went down to just the one red light. I'm really confused what they mean and which one I should go off as the remaining range/charge amount.

I would really appreciate any help anyone can give :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Generally, you shouldn't take too much notice of them, but instead, you should look for changes in behaviour. One thing puzzles me though. Normally, it's the other way round: The one on the handlebars dances about while the one on the battery remains stable with more LEDs lit.

It's about time someone on the forum bought a Juicy bike. They're robust and we'll developed, having been round for a long time. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment from it for a long time.

holliday86

Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2013
It's bought as a commuter horse really haha

I test rode all the bikes I could get my hands on and the juicy gave me the smoothest ride and was by far the easiest to ride with the electricity off.

So are they both a basic indication of the battery life remaining? I just don't want to get somewhere and only have enough power to get half way home

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
It's bought as a commuter horse really haha

I test rode all the bikes I could get my hands on and the juicy gave me the smoothest ride and was by far the easiest to ride with the electricity off.

So are they both a basic indication of the battery life remaining? I just don't want to get somewhere and only have enough power to get half way home
It's not as simple as half the lights on = half the battery remaining. As D8veh says, usually the display lights tend to go up and down, depending on the draw on the battery; so heavy effort causes a bit of power sag, and the display lights drop one (or two). The battery lights usually remain fairly constant. Their are four on my cyclotricity kit battery. When one goes out, that is usually an indication that about half the battery power remains. Down to one and I know the pedalling will all be down to me fairly soon!:eek: But I've discovered this by watching how they behave as I ride, and it seems different batteries have different characteristics in the way the lights respond, or maybe they respond differently to different riders style?

holliday86

Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2013
Ah that makes sense then. So I guess it's one of these things where I'll do a test run of my commute and make sure it all goes without a hitch and watch the lights as I go to see if the same occurs on mine as yours :) I did notice that if I was using the throttle to pull away at junctions the display would knock down a couple of lights so I guess it's a learning curve.

Thanks for your help guys :)

Reactions: Emo Rider

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
It's not as simple as half the lights on = half the battery remaining. As D8veh says, usually the display lights tend to go up and down, depending on the draw on the battery; so heavy effort causes a bit of power sag, and the display lights drop one (or two). The battery lights usually remain fairly constant. Their are four on my cyclotricity kit battery. When one goes out, that is usually an indication that about half the battery power remains. Down to one and I know the pedalling will all be down to me fairly soon!:eek: But I've discovered this by watching how they behave as I ride, and it seems different batteries have different characteristics in the way the lights respond, or maybe they respond differently to different riders style?
Sorry about the two message less posts as I was having problems with the site at the time. I was going to say pretty much what peerjay56 said. Enjoy your ride :)

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Pretty much as others have already said. The handlebar gauge just measures / indicates the voltage sag - under load it will go down to one or two lights even when fully charged but return to 4 lights when power draw is reduced. The lights on the battery normally indicate the nominal charge state of the battery and is generally a more accurate indicator. I wouldn't worry too much about either. Make sure the battery is fully charged each time you use it and the range should be reasonably consistent (depending on routes / conditions). Did you go for the standard 10Ah battery or get one of the upgrade options?

holliday86

Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2013
Standard 10Ah as I couldn't afford anything more on the cycle scheme. From what I can gather it should give me enough range on low/medium assist :)

I saw the difference between the two sets of lights and I really didn't know what to make of it. I've got a better idea of what's going on now :)

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
You should get about 30 miles on a full charge with pedaling. If you us just the throttle you will get much less. The indicator lights will go from four at no load, down to three, then down to two an finally only one will light. This is the time to charge. As your battery discharges, the lights will go out when you put load on. On four, on a hill, it could go down to two and then back up to four with no load. You just got the bike and after a few weeks you will get the feel for how they work. Enjoy :)