Just bought a bbs01 conversion kit gears and brakes combined help please !

Russ34

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2021
Teignmouth
Hi , I’ve just a bafang bbs01 conversion kit for my retro khs mountain bike , after picking the kit up I’ve realised it comes with brakes with sensors, my bike has combined Shimano deore lx levers and gear shifters , how can I get over this please ? Many thanks

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
You can get sensor kits often marked as for hydraulic brake levers, but also work for the combined levers.
We've got those with similar levers on our tandem.

Or inline brake sensors

Also available I think a bit cheaper on ebay etc.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The motor will work without brake sensors, but you may get a little overrun when you stop which can be disconcerting. It also can be awkward without the sensors if you are navigating something like a traffic barrier and the motor suddenly kicks in. The sensors are very unimportant almost all the time; I wouldn't like to be without ours.

I also forgot to mention: if you are a bit handy you can probably disassemble the switch and cable from the supplied levers and arrange them on you existing levers.

Russ34

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2021
Teignmouth
Thanks again for your reply , I’m quite handy but I don’t think I’m that good at swapping the bits over ! I’ll have the rear brake as a sensor so I’m 50% there !

Nicholas Hammond

Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2018
I believe your bike has cable operated brakes. You will be ditching the front derailleur anyway when fitting the bbs. So remove that and the combined lever assembly and just use the left brake lever with sensor supplied with the kit. Assuming you are in the UK this will be the back brake. Hopefully you are already in the habit of using both brakes together. One sensor is enough and you could use the other connector with a simple press switch to cut power when gear changing. I have done this on friends bikes and they seem happy.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Probably more than 50%; mostly when it matters you'll be applying both brakes anyway. Quite a few people say that 1 sensor is quite adequate. I prefer having both, but I think I'd be OK with just one.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If I use brake sensors I only fit one to the rear as I intuitively go for the rear momentary before the front, no matter the kit.
When I had the BBS working I found two a pain in the backside because if a brake sticks then one doesn't know which one without disconnecting them to find out.

Russ34

Pedelecer
Oct 11, 2021
Teignmouth
Thanks for all your replies , all fitted and running now thanks ! Just trying to get my head around increasing the speed on the controller now !

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Brake sensor not needed if a throttle isn't fitted, however if throttle is fitted it is good practice to have at least one. When a throttle shorts for whatever reason one will be glad of the cut out to prevent being stranded with a blown controller.

Stevie Atkinson

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi , I’ve just a bafang bbs01 conversion kit for my retro khs mountain bike , after picking the kit up I’ve realised it comes with brakes with sensors, my bike has combined Shimano deore lx levers and gear shifters , how can I get over this please ? Many thanks
Just don't hook up the the sensors keep you own brake units on

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I tried the stick on magnetic switches with hydraulic brakes, but they are hopeless off road. The reed switch keeps closing and cutting the motor due to vibrations on the rough stuff. It all works perfectly on flat tarmac, but as soon as I start hitting some jumps they keep cutting the motor. So I run them on the road and unplug them when I’m off road.