Just Bought This......

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Typical !!......scour the country, looking for an E Bike, and end up buying one from your next doo52348r neighbour........yes it's a ladies bike, but just what I need, as I struggle to get my leg over......battery is in good condition, and currently on charge.....paid 200 quid for it, which I thought was reasonable.........off out "on test" tomorrow.......

Last edited:

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
"Struggle to get my leg over", well done, welcome to the Step-thru club! :D
(Sorry, couldn't resist, humour, funny, joke)

Reactions: Del 80

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
How do you know battery is in good condition if you haven't tried it yet?

Great price anyway. Congratulations

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
How do you know battery is in good condition if you haven't tried it yet?

Great price anyway. Congratulations
I know the bike from new, the lady I bought it from used it daily for getting to work, a round trip of about 4 miles........these Pendleton's are not really that powerful, and don't have a particularly good name, but it will do for me......just glad to be back out again !!

Reactions: robert44 and Nealh

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Well, first trip out on the old girl, and first impressions are very good.......only about a six mile round trip, but all went well......in mode 1. It's nice and gentle, in mode 2. It's quite fast, in mode 3. It goes like a rocket !!........just cleaning things and adjusting the brakes, I notice it has two broken spokes in the rear wheel, apparently Pendleton's are noted for this, I might have some in me shed.......52369

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
A weak point on those is the freewheel inside the gears, which jams off, meaning that the pedals won't drive the bike. To avoid that, get some "3 in One" oil, lay the bike on its side and squirt a lot in down the axle. The freewheel pawls are on the back side of the gears, so make sure it goes all the way in before bringing the bike back up. Do that now, beginning of November and in the spring to keep it working nicely.

The spokes you have won't be the right length. This is a good supplier of spokes. Everybody should use him It's Spokes from Ryan. The link below works so ignore what it says:

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldie

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Thanks for the tip, I will certainly do that......I think I may have used Ryan before, when I needed spokes for that Batribike.......just wondering what gauge of spoke this Pendleton actually uses ?...........

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for the tip, I will certainly do that......I think I may have used Ryan before, when I needed spokes for that Batribike.......just wondering what gauge of spoke this Pendleton actually uses ?...........
If they're not 14g, it might be a good idea to change them all to 14g. 13g ones often give trouble.

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Well, still not managed to find out what gauge spokes the Pendleton uses.......maybe a walk along to Halfords tomorrow, not very hopeful, but they did use to sell the things..........

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Measure the spoke diameter , 2mm = 14g, 2.3 mm = 13g any thicker they will be 12g.

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Well the guy in Halfords reckons that the spokes are 13 G.....to my surprise they still sell the Pendleton, but don't keep the spokes in stock, so about to order them from Spokes
From Ryan....

Last edited:

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Apparently Ryan is on holiday this week....so giving these guys a try.....Custom Cut Spokes.....very easy to deal with, fingers crossed I have ordered the right size spokes and nipples !!.........

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Even though Ryan's website showed him as taking paternity leave when I ordered spokes a week ago or so, they (the spokes, not the baby) still arrived very promptly.

Reactions: Del Arthur

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Well, that's the spokes just arrived, and they appear to be the correct size/gauge.....it seems that I will have to remove the cogs, or cassette I think it's called, so presumably will need a Shimano/ SRAM cassette unlocker ?........this seems a fairly easy task, but not something I have done before, any tips, and tricks gratefully received.........

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Yes it is a fairly easy task.

First you have to determine if you have a freewheel or cassette, but very likely you have a freewheel (usually 7 gears or less):

[youtube]

This video shows freewheel removal:

[youtube]
[/youtube]

Del 80

Pedelecer
Jun 1, 2012
Lincolnshire
Thanks for that......I shall remove the rear wheel tomorrow, and find out......this one has eight gears by the way...........

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford