Help! Just got my first ebike (ADO A20F)

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Yes, that's what I did too as it's an easy fit. I wrote about it here.

Reactions: Legend20le

Legend20le

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 26, 2021
Yes, that's what I did too as it's an easy fit. I wrote about it here.
Just had a read, noticed you got yours cheaper, got mine next day delivery from Amazon and I'm imaging that's why I paid more, did you order them direct from China?

Have to disagree with the amount of force needed to use them though, my bike I would bet is a lot more heavy then yours and stops really easily with minimal force on the leavers (think it's dependent on how they're set up), definitely agree you won't be using one finger to use them like on full hydraulic brakes but I honestly can't say anything bad about them, because of the price point, ease of installation and what is in my opinion a massive improvement in stopping power over the mechanical one's.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Yes, I bought mine from AliExpress. Although the price wavers, I paid £23 a pair inc post and VAT with no import duties, arrived in 7 days.

My D11 weighs 17kg - yes, a fair bit lighter than the A20F, but then I'm a fat old lump which likely makes up for any weight advantage. But I think the lever force is as it is on my e-bike because the cables are routed through the folding frame and therefore less "straight" than they would be on many other bikes. In direct comparison to both my other e-bikes with full Shimano hydraulics, these HB-100's are much harder to squeeze. If this ebike didn't require me to drain, frame route, refill and bleed full hydraulics and then (maybe) deal with the motor cut-off switches, those are what I'd definitely choose in future. Full sets are again cheap on AliExpress.

Having said that, I do agree with you - the HB-100's are a marked improvement over the mechanical disc brakes that were fitted, so yes, I'll be keeping them on this bike.

One point I've since heard from other users... it you overheat them say on a long/fast/steep descent, the heated oil will be forced out from the piston since it has nowhere else to go. Not sure if that then renders them useless or if a refill of MO will suffice, but in my application that's unlikely to happen.