Just had my first RTA on my bike

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
The more I think about this the more questions I come up with:

If the only road marking is the central white line then are there two lanes in either directions, or is it just one very wide lane each way that narrows down?

If there are two lanes then how do you tell how many lanes a road has? When does a single wide lane become two lanes?

If there is just one lane and the traffic is running two abreast then are the inner cars overtaking (in which case it is the responsibility of the drivers in the inner cars to make sure they can rejoin the lane safely before the road narrows) or are the outer cars the ones that haven't joined the lane yet (in which case they should give way to the inner cars and wait for a gap in the lane)?
I'll try to google you a picture. A short section of what appears to be dual carriageway but isn't ends at a set of traffic lights. Across the lights the two lane's continue with just a central white line separating them from the oncoming traffic for approx 70mtrs before the nearside kerb starts to force the inside lane traffic across into the outside lane. The central white line continue's from the traffic light's up under the bridge and beyond. Traffic in the opposite direction come's under the bridge single lane which then opens out into two lanes up to the traffic lights. The traffic cop that explained it said, the outside lane had priority because they were following the white line which is straight so not filtering traffic towards the inside lane. Can a road actually narrow from the middle?

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
One of things i've learned over the years of posting on bulletin boards is that no matter how hard you try, and no matter how patient you are, you just can't educate Pork. :D
You were obviously fool enough to try. But how else would you have learn't?

Last edited:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'll try to google you a picture. A short section of what appears to be dual carriageway but isn't ends at a set of traffic lights. Across the lights the two lane's continue with just a central white line separating them from the oncoming traffic for approx 70mtrs before the nearside kerb starts to force the inside lane traffic across into the outside lane. The central white line continue's from the traffic light's up under the bridge and beyond. Traffic in the opposite direction come's under the bridge single lane which then opens out into two lanes up to the traffic lights. The traffic cop that explained it said, the outside lane had priority because they were following the white line which is straight so not filtering traffic towards the inside lane. Can a road actually narrow from the middle?
I know what you mean and I think a physical carriageway divider is what makes the difference. If two lanes narrow to one on a single carriageway road then the left hand lane merges with and gives way to the right hand lane (to stop cars being forced into oncoming traffic), on dual carriageways it it usually the other way round and when lanes merge the right hand lane merges with and gives way to the left hand lane.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
one should always dominate and control following traffic where you would if you were driving anything slow but larger.

With exceptions. I once joined a queue of traffic (as a car driver). When after ten or fifteen minutes I got to the front of the queue, I found two horse-riders, riding side by side on a busy, winding, B-road; quite legally, and certainly adopting the 'dominate and control' philosophy. They were trotting along at about 5 mph, chatting merrily, and certainly not oblivious to the chaos behind them. They just didn't give a f+ck.

I really don't know how you can legislate for good manners and self-preservation! Wish it were easy.

A

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
Across the lights the two lane's continue with just a central white line separating them from the oncoming traffic
That's where it all starts getting ambiguous, if there are no lane markings between the central white line and curb then you have two streams of traffic but you only have one lane marked on the road (ignoring the oncoming side).

So if you've got two streams of traffic in one marked lane how many lanes are there?

I would say that there is no clear answer to that question, which is why it is not clear how drivers should react when the marked lane narrows to the point that it can only accomodate one stream of traffic.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
That's where it all starts getting ambiguous, if there are no lane markings between the central white line and curb then you have two streams of traffic but you only have one lane marked on the road (ignoring the oncoming side).

So if you've got two streams of traffic in one marked lane how many lanes are there?

I would say that there is no clear answer to that question, which is why it is not clear how drivers should react when the marked lane narrows to the point that it can only accomodate one stream of traffic.
If there is just a central dividing line, then the road is a single carriageway. It doesn't matter how wide each of the single carriageways are, unless there is a line to split them into 2 or 3 lanes, they are single carriageways and the appropriate legislation applies. The fact that you can manage to fit cars two or three abreast without crossing the central dividing line doesn't mean anything in terms of road classification.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Normally there is some sort of indication to which lane is merging into which, either by a road sign or markings on the road, however, local authorities and road planners don't always get it right and they can be missing or just plain misleading.

As for priority that seems to have changed a while back when the HWC was revised. The wording is now 'merge in turn' at low speed pushed for by the IAM over many years. It would appear at higher speeds both lanes should be prepared well in advance to merge there being no priority unless stated by road markings.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
I know what you mean and I think a physical carriageway divider is what makes the difference. If two lanes narrow to one on a single carriageway road then the left hand lane merges with and gives way to the right hand lane (to stop cars being forced into oncoming traffic), on dual carriageways it it usually the other way round and when lanes merge the right hand lane merges with and gives way to the left hand lane.

This makes perfect sense for this particular situation.

the left hand lane merges with and gives way to the right hand lane (to stop cars being forced into oncoming traffic),

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
If there is just a central dividing line, then the road is a single carriageway. It doesn't matter how wide each of the single carriageways are, unless there is a line to split them into 2 or 3 lanes, they are single carriageways and the appropriate legislation applies. The fact that you can manage to fit cars two or three abreast without crossing the central dividing line doesn't mean anything in terms of road classification.
I think the problem that arises in this situation starts at the traffic lights where two lane's of traffic at the lights have road markings that indicate, left turn or straight ahead in the nearside lane and straight ahead only on the outside lane. Across the lights the only road marking is the central white line so a bit of a free for all often occurs during peak time's.
The traffic lights have the yellow box system so most drivers head for whichever lane gets them across the box.
Its not only the straight ahead traffic either, there is also the traffic from both side's of the light's.
I think the lack of road markings was an intentional attempt at forcing the traffic to alternate. Maybe a better idea would have been to make the nearside lane left turn only at the lights and the road ahead clearly a single lane. Although that may have caused tailbacks back past the lights which often happens anyway.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
This makes perfect sense for this particular situation.

the left hand lane merges with and gives way to the right hand lane (to stop cars being forced into oncoming traffic),
Except there is no left and right hand lane if there is no carriageway divider. If there is no carriageway divider, then it is a single carriageway road. The fact that drivers can fit two cars abreast on one carriageway makes no difference. The car occupying the space on the single carriageway which is closest to the centre on the road, is in an overtaking position and as such must yield to cars to the left if them. Even if the road narrows from the nearside forcing traffic on the left to move towards the centre of the road, traffic to the right must yield. This is because it is a SINGLE CARRIAGEWAY ROAD. The fact that drivers have divided that they can fit cars onto it two abreast is totally and completely irrelevant.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Except there is no left and right hand lane if there is no carriageway divider. If there is no carriageway divider, then it is a single carriageway road. The fact that drivers can fit two cars abreast on one carriageway makes no difference. The car occupying the space on the single carriageway which is closest to the centre on the road, is in an overtaking position and as such must yield to cars to the left if them. Even if the road narrows from the nearside forcing traffic on the left to move towards the centre of the road, traffic to the right must yield. This is because it is a SINGLE CARRIAGEWAY ROAD. The fact that drivers have divided that they can fit cars onto it two abreast is totally and completely irrelevant.
Its not quite that simple. The traffic lights have two clearly marked lane's indicating that both lane's can move straight ahead. Traffic crossing the lights cannot merge on the junction so they must cross the junction before any attempt to merge takes place. The outside lane has the white line marking their guide//boundary from oncoming traffic, the nearside lane is faced with what I can only describe as a bottle neck kerb shape forcing them across to the outside lane. Sheer volume of traffic mean's both lanes are used and the short distance between traffic lights and bridge[70mtrs] give's little space for traffic to merge.
I understand what your saying about the outer lane being for overtaking but thats not the case at the traffic lights where the outside lane is for straight ahead traffic. The short distance beyond the light's is barely enough for the two lane to merge into one beyond which you would be correct.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Its not quite that simple. The traffic lights have two clearly marked lane's indicating that both lane's can move straight ahead. Traffic crossing the lights cannot merge on the junction so they must cross the junction before any attempt to merge takes place. The outside lane has the white line marking their guide//boundary from oncoming traffic, the nearside lane is faced with what I can only describe as a bottle neck kerb shape forcing them across to the outside lane. Sheer volume of traffic mean's both lanes are used and the short distance between traffic lights and bridge[70mtrs] give's little space for traffic to merge.
I understand what your saying about the outer lane being for overtaking but thats not the case at the traffic lights where the outside lane is for straight ahead traffic. The short distance beyond the light's is barely enough for the two lane to merge into one beyond which you would be correct.
There is such a junction close to where I live. It's called Balloon Woods and some may know it. When travelling from Nottingham towards Ilkeston, the road actually divides into three lanes at the traffic lights. Those going straight on at the lights start off in clearly defined lanes, once across the lights you quickly find yourself on a short stretch of wide single carriageway road which quickly narrows from the left. What should happen is that those to the right should yield and filter into gaps behind vehicles to the left.

In reality, there tends to be a drag race across the lights followed by a dual of brinkmanship as the road narrows. The most aggressive Audi driving salesman emerging victorious.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
What should happen is you should 'merge in turn'

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
There is such a junction close to where I live. It's called Balloon Woods and some may know it. When travelling from Nottingham towards Ilkeston, the road actually divides into three lanes at the traffic lights. Those going straight on at the lights start off in clearly defined lanes, once across the lights you quickly find yourself on a short stretch of wide single carriageway road which quickly narrows from the left. What should happen is that those to the right should yield and filter into gaps behind vehicles to the left.

In reality, there tends to be a drag race across the lights followed by a dual of brinkmanship as the road narrows. The most aggressive Audi driving salesman emerging victorious.
In practice the majority of drivers are pretty sensible, the one's slightly ahead are given way too so the traffic alternates. Occassionally there are bust ups as to who has priority. I still have my suspicions around the traffic cops explanation.
One problem is the roads in this area were originally designed for horse and carts, the odd car and farm machinery. Since the area has expanded and been built up the roads are falling to pieces. My house moves if anything bigger than a transit goes past. I'll have to sell it as a mobile home it move's so much.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Ho ho.

Most of that sort of advice applies in reality to drivers of cars etc. On a bike, I must say I tend to give way, regardless of whose right of way it is, survival being the better part of valour.

A

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Funny or not that is what is advised in the HWC, also in 'Driving' the DSA publication it states under defensive driving that you should never assume you have priority and also you should be prepared to give way. These finer points and advise that we 'learn' to pass our driving test soon get forgotten though! The DSA book is a good refresher for those in doubt about how to drive LOL! Perhaps is should be a default option with all Audi drivers... :D (no offence intended ;) )

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Is that what the Highway Code says NRG? I've not got access to a copy to look it up at the moment.

It sounds like a gentlemanly solution, but a complete nightmare to establish who was in the wrong if there is a coming together.