Just how much off-road abuse are you giving your DIY bikes?

UphillBattle

Pedelecer
May 7, 2019
It’s coming up for a year since I converted an old Polish hardtail off Gumtree using a geared rear hub (Q128) and frame battery. The bike has performed extremely well on the road as well as on gravel and has gotten my CFS/ME-wracked body out and about many times when otherwise it wouldn’t have been possible. The freedom suddenly on offer makes me wish I had known about DIY ebikes years ago.

F5843E09-CA38-4C81-80A1-7D303118E5C6.jpeg

The last challenge for this bike is true off-roading on the trails around here. Being front suspension only, it’s a very rattle-y ride over the rocks and tree roots of the singletrack, particularly the downhill trails in the nearby forest. I’ve ridden a few trails at low speeds which is fine but I’m afraid that the stress on the battery, controller or rear hub will cause a breakdown before long.

Are you guys taking hardtail DIY bikes down rough trails at speed or just sticking to the easy stuff?

This is the kind of trail I’m talking about

Another local trail, this time at a speed beyond what I would consider

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have abused my rear hubs on trails and offroad with out issue inc a few crashes.
My off road is local forest trails in forestry land , South downs off piste or anywhere I find to go. The rear hub/wheel is only as good as the builder who built the wheel.

Though I am more sensible now and the fast rough stuff isn't my cup of tea nowadays but at slower speeds it is.

Reactions: UphillBattle

UphillBattle

Pedelecer
May 7, 2019
I have abused my rear hubs on trails and offroad with out issue inc a few crashes.
My off road is local forest trails in forestry land , South downs off piste or anywhere I find to go. The rear hub/wheel is only as good as the builder who built the wheel.

Though I am more sensible now and the fast rough stuff isn't my cup of tea nowadays but at slower speeds it is.
Thanks Neal that’s good to hear, sounds like I don’t have to be super careful with it on the trails. I’ve tightened a couple of loose spokes so it should be good as long as I keep an eye on things.

I’ll steer clear of the jumps though, maybe I’ll get a chance to rent a full sus emtb at some point and try taking to the air.