just joined

walking

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2021
Good Morning ,
Looking to get an e bike within the next couple of months . Just bought a non ebike , but the leaning forward position plus pushing uphill really does my back in. I think i need an upright , comfort or folding bike plus the electric motor to reduce the strain. Can't wait to start.

Reactions: artspeck

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Good Morning ,
Looking to get an e bike within the next couple of months . Just bought a non ebike , but the leaning forward position plus pushing uphill really does my back in. I think i need an upright , comfort or folding bike plus the electric motor to reduce the strain. Can't wait to start.
ebikes are in pretty short supply at the moment, with really long lead times on the more popular models. You might just get lucky, though. It's best to test ride if at all possible, but that is difficult with no stock around. Also lots of shop call 5 minutes round the car park a test ride.

If you say what you want the bike for, whether you expect to ride on road, off road or a mix, how fit you are, how far you may want to ride, and how hilly it is around you the I'm sure people here will have some suggestions.

https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/ have quite a few in stock at good prices and people here have recommended them (I've not used them myself). The site is useful anyway for getting an idea of what is available for what price.

Reactions: walking

walking

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2021
Hi ,
Thanks for you reply and the link.
I am 57 yo , 5 ft 9 and a bit under 11 stone. I am slim and fairly fit , but not cycling fit. I am intending to cycle to work once/twice a week , it's about 8 miles each way , a few hills. Also leisure cycling about 20 miles , not in a hurry and not interested in fitness , just want to explore quieter areas. I was thinking a comfort bike , but now a folding bike so i can put in my small car and have different start points. Mostly on smaller , quieter roads. The roads here are bad so not really thin tyres and saddle , not sure i need suspension though.
I posted this link on another thread , they seem to be in stock , any opinions welcome.

I will check out the link you posted , thanks again.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Two folders to consider

Both from firms with excellent record for good value and customer support.
Woosh not available right now, but will be again in a few months.
Wisper not available form them, but might be from https://www.e-bikesdirect.co.uk/

No idea on that MiB. It has a fairly small battery, 'Real World Range of 45-55km' may be a bit optimistic. It should do you commute or 20 miles leisure trips, but I'd suggest something with a slightly bigger battery. It looks as if it has sensible components that should be easy to service, and wide enough tyres you should be fine on poor roads and occasional off road.

walking

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2021
Thanks , would probably go for the woosh but no stock. The wisper is out of stock there too , a review i saw of that is what got me considering it as they said it was the most comfortable bike they'd ever ridden.
Just found a place that will have the Fido D4S in 1-2 weeks , has a slightly bigger battery.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Just found a place that will have the Fido D4S in 1-2 weeks...
Really? Where is that? Fiido say they still aren't shipping to the UK yet.

The D4s is a good value folder for the money, but it really isn't in quite the same class as either the Woosh or Wisper that sjpt suggests.

walking

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2021
I agree that the Wisper and Woosh are better quality , but not available at the moment and more expensive.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Interesting - thanks. The page says you can pick-up from Bath, which is Fiido's own new proposed UK Distribution centre (according to Fiido's own website). £769 is a bit rich though, given it's only £511 if ordered direct from Fiido themselves (which you can't yet do).

Once stock finally arrives into Fiido's own UK distribution centre, you hopefully should then be able to order direct from Fiido's own website and have it delivered direct from within the UK and avoid all those new Customs, Import, and extra VAT charges. At least your link suggests arrival of that UK stock is imminent.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Claims to have 806 in stock. (It has 6 listings for 806 variants, the other 5 show out of stock).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
With any bike from Wisper or Woosh one needs to pre- order/book one so as to be in line to receive one in the build programme as things stand. If I was keen on one I would pre order and whilst biding my time think about buying a cheaper alternative just to get going.

walking

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2021
Thanks , i just saw the out of stock ones. £1600 is a bit much for me plus i don't want the torque version.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One good option may be something like the Revos friction drive kit to very quickly convert most of any bikes in about 15 minutes, adding only about 4.5 - 5.5lbs to the bike weight. Range is is 12 - 25 miles depending on the Wh battery purchased, I'm finding the kit very good to use and ample power.

walking

Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2021
I was just going to say i may get a cheaper bike to get going and upgrade later when i know what i need more and whether i will use it enough. I will check the kit out , thanks.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have to say that I bought one of the first Mk1 production runs of the Revos some 2 years ago at a reduced price with the larger battery on a Kick starter and was one of the first few pledges.
Very pleased with mine though the usual caveat of tyre wear is/can be an issue. I use soft compound tyres on my adventure bike so it wore the centre down after about 500 miles so I fitted the tyre to my town/commute bike as it has plenty of side tread left. Since I have fitted a better dedicated tyre with specalised 2bliss treaded tyre that has a raised smooth center ridge which is 10mm wide, great for wear and road use but also very good for off road with treaded side pattern.

There are cheaper hub kits but they may mean altering drop outs and adding more weight, the Revos is very simple and no mods are needed to fit the kit as long as the bike meets the requirements to fit the drive behind the seat and wheel.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For kits one sometimes has to think about choosing the ekit for the bike, for my adventure bike I wanted to keep weight no more then 15kg total. So the Revos was ideal and meant and easy and manageable bike for trails and offroad and lightness to lift over fences or gates etc, Power is instant and cut out dead on 15.5kmh, no throttle or display so nothing to go wrong or change settings. Pedal over the limit is easy and if you don't want the power a simple half back pedal on my version shuts the power down, another half pedal back engages it again so one can choose when to use power or not. The only down side is the drive doesn't disengage from the tyre.
Bristol is the place to go and test drive the Revos bike at the Revos HQ.

On Endless sphere Kepler an aussie designed a kit with a spring actuated by a cable form the bars to physically move his drive off the wheel.

D

Deleted member 33385

Have just put in an order for a Fiido D4S , hopefully delivered in 1-2 weeks.

1-2 weeks is great! Where did you order it from? The Fiidos look perfect for fetching things with.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Have just put in an order for a Fiido D4S , hopefully delivered in 1-2 weeks.
There's just one thing wrong with those bikes: When somebody asks you which bike you have, how are you going to pronounce it without them thinking that you're spazzing out?

When you start to ride it and get that fixed ebike grin, that's sort of going to confirm to them what they were thinking.

D

Deleted member 33385

There's just one thing wrong with those bikes: When somebody asks you which bike you have, how are you going to pronounce it without them thinking that you're spazzing out?

When you start to ride it and get that fixed ebike grin, that's sort of going to confirm to them what they were thinking.

I'd pronounce it "Figh!" Short pause. "Do!" like a Karate expert, followed by a 1000 yard glare into the back of their eyes...