Kalkhoff Agattu

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I just spotted this in eBay, I don't think it has been posted on the forum previously

Kalkhoff Agattu Electric Bike Recovery | eBay
:( .. keep a look out for bike / spare parts on eBay / Gumtree etc. Mindless idiots nicking that - goodness knows how they make off with them at that size anyway unless they're ridden away. I chain mine up with a 1.5m chain round both wheels, frame and bike stand when out and about with a big chain from this lot and a closed shackle padlock :

Protector Police-Approved and Sold Secure-Approved Security Chains direct from Pragmasis, the manufacturer

Means you can't 'just nip in' to the shop for 5 minutes without locking it down and the rack bag is half-filled with security equipment but hopefully means I'll hang on to it longer. Behind alarmed doors other times. Been OK in bike theft central so far but downside of expensive bikes is the more they're worth the heavier the security system gets.

Really hope they get this back.

D

Deleted member 4366

I used to use just a cable lock when I went to the shops, but when I bought some wheels from a guy locally, he told me that he'd ordered them for his bike, but it had been nicked before they arrived. He said that he locked it in the rack in front of Sainsburys with a sturdy cable lock, and when he came out a couple of minutes later, the cable had been cropped and the bike was gone. It seems that they wait in the carpark waiting for a nice bike to park, and as soon as the owner goes in the shop, they jump out, crop the lock and then ride away.

I now use a roller lock that's too thick to get the croppers on.
Oxford OF145 Barrier Armoured Cable Bike Lock 1.5 Metre x 25mm SMOKE | eBay

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
That's a neat solution Dave and looks far handier for times when you're only nipping in & out of places. Popped my security chain and padlock on the scales and they come in at bang on 4kg, about the same as a big rear hub motor. Carrying it about on the MTB rack is a nightmare too - really slows me down and the whole bike did a wheelie when I was pushing it the other day loaded with some other stuff in the drop-down panniers !

Is it considerably lighter ? Would be nice to have an option and at £12 it's somewhat more affordable than the big chain / closed shackle padlock which works out nearly £100 :(.

Justafan

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 9, 2013
That's a neat solution Dave and looks far handier for times when you're only nipping in & out of places. Popped my security chain and padlock on the scales and they come in at bang on 4kg, about the same as a big rear hub motor. Carrying it about on the MTB rack is a nightmare too - really slows me down and the whole bike did a wheelie when I was pushing it the other day loaded with some other stuff in the drop-down panniers !

Is it considerably lighter ? Would be nice to have an option and at £12 it's somewhat more affordable than the big chain / closed shackle padlock which works out nearly £100 :(.
I wouldn't put any faith in that lock.
Waste of time if these reviews are anything to go by.
Oxford Barrier Armoured Hi-Tensile Cable Lock | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

An interesting you tube watch, if you've a spare 25 mins is
Gone in 60 secs Parts 1 & 2 (LETS FIGHT BIKE CRIME) Video - Pinkbike

Plod just don't take bike theft seriously and are next to useless.

D

Deleted member 4366

I wouldn't put any faith in that lock.
Waste of time if these reviews are anything to go by.
Oxford Barrier Armoured Hi-Tensile Cable Lock | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Plod just don't take bike theft seriously and are next to useless.
A hit of a hysterical reaction. You'll notice in film that every toe-rag took a tool out of his pocket/bag to cut the lock. None of those tools would've defeated that Oxford lock, which is why I recommended it.

It's not possible to materialise plod from the ether wherever you park your bike, but at least they were doing something to tackle the problem, and you'll see that they caught at least two, and probably a lot more.

For you personally, you have a bit of a problem now. Having spent thousands to get a super-light deluxe Haibike, you now have to to carry around a 5kg shackle to keep it yours. One good reason to buy a Cyclamatic.

Last edited by a moderator:

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Has anyone had a Kudos sport nicked up Newcastle way?

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
A hit of a hysterical reaction. You'll notice in film that every toe-rag took a tool out of his pocket/bag to cut the lock. None of those tools would've defeated that Oxford lock, which is why I recommended it.
One of the reviews states it was broken with nothing more than a broom handle !!!!.

Cant speak for this particular lock but certainly among Motorcyclists Oxford locks are not known for being anywhere near the best on the market (even for the price).

Definitely see the irony of having to carry around a 5 kilo lock for the light weight super expensive bike though :D